uniqs

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

[Rant] All-in-One Computers Touch Screen

Why is it so hard to find a good looking, decent, AIO computer without Touch Screen? Aside from Apple, every other computer manufacturer wants their AIO to be touch screen, or the AIO looks really ugly.

I know I can disable touch screen, but the feature contributes to added cost to the computer.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell

Premium Member

Probably because Microsoft has decided that everybody needs to use the touchscreen even if they don't want to! Of course the manufacturers like the idea because they can make more money.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Build yourself a tower or have a good building outfit build one for you and be happy. There are business divisions that still sell towers as well that will cater to the specs you want for multimedia/gaming if you tell them that's what you want(even if that specification is hold the touchscreen!). Both ways get you a more solid and serviceable build. I use Linux for the most part, though I have VMs of other OSes for work and play. I don't buy into that Windows 8 crap either. I only have a VM of it from a license bought by my workplace so I can support it at work as needed(aka be on the same page with that rotten mess as the very few clients who use it are when offering help via the phone or internet). Before you jump on me for saying very few clients, remember these are business clients, not home users, and adoption of that Windows 8 rubbish is very low in corporate environments.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Selenia:

Build yourself a tower or have a good building outfit build one for you and be happy. There are business divisions that still sell towers as well that will cater to the specs you want for multimedia/gaming if you tell them that's what you want(even if that specification is hold the touchscreen!). Both ways get you a more solid and serviceable build. I use Linux for the most part, though I have VMs of other OSes for work and play. I don't buy into that Windows 8 crap either. I only have a VM of it from a license bought by my workplace so I can support it at work as needed(aka be on the same page with that rotten mess as the very few clients who use it are when offering help via the phone or internet). Before you jump on me for saying very few clients, remember these are business clients, not home users, and adoption of that Windows 8 rubbish is very low in corporate environments.

I've always built my computers. I currently have a Dell XPS 2710 AIO and am sort of happy with it.

I am considering of building my next computer, and going back to dual monitors.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
i was looking at the AIO's recently and actually wanted the touch screen, that system would be primarily used by mom and dad (dads 71) and honestly it would be so darn much easier for them. ive tried and tried to teach them the proper clicks to open programs. i gave up on that, basically settled on a launch bar app at the top of the screen with the things they use most up there. one click and done. unless of course they get a "yxz wants to update" pop up, then i hear the inevitable call to help.

now me personally, ive used a "touch pad" to try out some of the win8 gestures, and honestly didnt see the appeal. not having folders on win8 start drives me bonkers. but, this OP is about the hardware, so let me get back to that.

why does it need to be an AIO? unless im wrong ive all ways assumed theyd be a PITA to work on, or find parts for other than proprietary. so why not go with miniATX and a "cube" case? depending on your needs you could "sort of" make it an AIO visual wise. or get a case thats easy to mount under the desk out of the way and just have monitor/speakers up top. ive actually been trying to find a monitor with attatched speakers or that they could be attached to (remember when CRT's had key hole slots for speakers? man i miss that) so i could have monitor/speakers mounted on an adjustable arm so i could adjust display angle/height depending on what im doing (im legally blind, i can only focus on one part of the screen at a time, some times it makes more since to move the screen rather than the program)

currently i have an xps 8700 that ive had no end of over heating problems with, i sort of think its the i7-4770, ive seen a few "delidding" charts and think that may be the root cause in my case (even using a copper core heat sink and taking off side panels havent helped the lil volcano)

edit: managed to tab my way to post now some how, sorry, i was going to say, so my next build will probably be a mini tower with water cooling, or a mega ultra holy cow that things huge, tower with water cooling. not sure which one yet.