fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Changing power steering fluid

Click for full size
cherry soda vs coca cola
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L engine, manual transmission, 192k miles.

The shop I normally go to told me I have a small power steering leak. I didn't ask where. I know in the past they've put a little fluid in there a couple times. Nothing major enough that they'd suggest replacing it I guess. I asked for a flush and they said no because they don't want to risk making the leak worse. I understand.

Today I took a turkey baster and 1 quart of Royal Purple Max ATF (not purple but cherry red btw). With the truck off but at engine temp, I filled up 1/4 quart with the baster till the reservoir was empty and added 1/4 of the new stuff, started the truck, then rocked the steering wheel back and forth all the way 12 times, then drove around 5 miles to get it warm, then repeated until the quart was gone (4 times total). By the 3rd time the fluid was looking a little more red but still dirty. I didn't check the 4th run since it got dark out.

Is what I just did a complete waste of time or did I do it sort of right? Should I buy another bottle tomorrow and keep doing what I was doing until the fluid is cherry red? I don't have a lift.

I'm guessing the fluid was never changed before. See pic. Steering feels nicer.
fartness

fartness (banned)

Found this:
»www.bobistheoilguy.com/f ··· =2483070

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to fartness

to fartness

Your process was OK, but I am not sure why you would want to change the fluid out when your system has a leak. Seems it would have been a better effort to repair the leak first, and renew the fluid in the process.

Now you still have a leaky system, except the leaking fluid is newer. Not much of a gain...
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

The level has stayed the same in the reservoir for the past two weeks, so I'm not sure what is leaking or how bad the leak is. I don't see anything.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

If you have a small leak, you need more time than 2 weeks to see a drop in the level. If you don't see oil/fluid drops after the car was parked overnight, you probably don't need to worry about it.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I've never noticed anything on the ground, ever.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

The level has stayed the same in the reservoir for the past two weeks, so I'm not sure what is leaking or how bad the leak is. I don't see anything.

Sometimes leaks get clogged and flushing it would remove the debris.. causing it to leak..

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides to fartness

to fartness
Working mainly on fords all my life it's generally not the color of the PS Fluid but the smell that tells you when to change. The smell takes on a "metal shop" type of odor, reminiscent of when someone has been grinding metal in an enclosed space.

Been working on my dad's Explorer Sport more often than not here lately(what a joy it is finding parts because it's not an explorer nor is it a sport trac but shares parts from both, but I digress) since he's getting towards having 300k miles on it, it's hitting the wall in service needs and he isn't interested in getting a new vehicle at 63 yrs of age.

I've had really good results using Valvoline Max-Life ATF in Ford PS systems (most recent fords spec ATF). I generally take off the reservoir (non-saginaw), and hook a deep funnel to the line to the pump, and then extend the return to a catch bottle. Then with the vehicle raised I turn the wheel, engine not running, from stop to stop, and flush out the black until it's pumping cherry red. I also clean the reservoir with brake cleaner and blow it out dry before re-installing it. The trick is to not get any air pulled into the pump/ps system when doing all this.

Did all this to my dad's truck, mentioned above, because he was complaining of a shudder in turning and driving curves, and this fixed it up a treat. He was surprised on how much better the truck turns now. Next is convincing him to to drop the $600 needed to redo the suspension parts because it rides like it's dragging your ass on gravel. The shocks are toast, and the front end needs a rebuild, but eh.. his money his truck. The engine is still good at the miles it's at and it's his comfort.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

I've never noticed anything on the ground, ever.

While not all leak shows up on the ground, chances are good that the leak (if exists) is very minor and you don't need to bother with it unless you see oil on the ground, or the level drops.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to RipTides

to RipTides
Yes the old stuff smelled similar to what you described. It was distinctly different than the new stuff which smells like BO or something to me.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I would have used Valvoline Max Life steering fluid. It is known to stop small leaks.

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

2 edits

RipTides to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

Yes the old stuff smelled similar to what you described. It was distinctly different than the new stuff which smells like BO or something to me.

Valvoline Max-Life ATF smells like Dinosaur Ass or something as well. The way you're doing it is the suggested DIY method for Saginaw type pumps (pumps with the reservoir and pulley as an combined unit). Usually, with the turkey baster method you need to do about 3 quarts since you're not flushing but diluting out the old. I pulled up your owners manual for that year and it's showing the 2.3L I4, 3.0L Vulcan, and the 4.0L Engines. Out of those the 3.0L is using the Saginaw. The other two engines show the separate reservoir and pump units, and the fluid spec for all 3 is Mercon ATF (type don't matter).

So, to answer your original questions posed in your first post, I'd get another quart or two and dilute them through at your leisure. Again Max-Life ATF is my preferred, and it may be cheaper than the Royal Purple, but you can get away with using an even cheaper high-mile "house" brand ATF as well. And inspect those upper lines for leaks. Because if the pressure lines (pump to pinion) were leaking you'd damn well know in an instant that they were, I've had one get a small pin-hole and the ensuing mess is noticeable.

And you'll know once you're done by the smell method, once that burnt metal smell is gone you're good to go.

EDIT: A-HA! I just thought about it, and that truck may have an AUX PS cooler located down near the bottom around the radiator, there could be a leak on the connectors there. There should be a plastic shield down there with some 10mm (on the side) and 7 or 8mm screws (across the front) holding it on, if you can get under there and pull it off it'd tell you if you're leaking anything onto it.

Link to your online truck manual: »www.fordservicecontent.c ··· og4e.pdf

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

Today I took a turkey baster and 1 quart of Royal Purple Max ATF
I'm guessing the fluid was never changed before. See pic. Steering feels nicer.

My wife has fixed a multitude of problems by hitting the subject with a turkey baster ...

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Here's my experience with changing my power steering fluid.

»[Help] Burned power steering fluid