Search similar:

uniqs
paule123
join:2002-07-25
Cleveland, OH

paule123 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan

Re: Constant outages in Ohio

I rebooted my modem, and all sites are working now.

kpossible
Premium Member
join:2003-09-11

kpossible to Just_Dan

Premium Member

to Just_Dan
I rebooted at 5:20 a.m. on October 2. My question is, will this be the last time that this needs to be performed to get these sites working? I have rebooted several times over the last 4-5 days. Sometimes, the sites start working spontaneously, without reboot. Is this the final resolution to this issue?

Thanks.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to Anonymoose

to Anonymoose
For the last two nights, I lose internet connectivity around 11:15pm. Since its late at night and returns by the time I get up for work, not really upset but if it happens again tonight I'm going to call WOW and see what's up.

octobeast
@50.4.69.x

octobeast

Anon

rebooted, still can't get to »www.nissanusa.com or macy's ( »www1.macys.com/)

kpossible
Premium Member

kpossible

Premium Member

Octo -
I am able to connect to both Nissan and Macy's off of your links. I am in a west suburb of Cleveland.

dr0ker
@96.27.75.x

dr0ker

Anon

This issue is still not resolved in Berea (suburb of Cleveland). It seems to come and go for weeks now, and was resolved the other day for quite awhile, but continues to crop up. I have seen the issue with many sites, but below are the ones that come to mind. Phone support doesn't have a clue there is an issue. Is there an ETA to get this resolved? Using cell phones or VPN to get to get to websites that will not load is getting old quick.

»www.xbox.com/
»www.gamestop.com/
»www.walmart.com/

octobeast
@50.4.69.x

octobeast

Anon

lol can't get onto subaru's site

i want to look at cars :
JustSurvive
join:2014-10-03
Cleveland, OH

JustSurvive to Anonymoose

to Anonymoose
Cleveland, OH checking in. I have the same problem as everyone else, very inconsistent when/how long it happens but when it does all the sites listed above will not load (including outlook.com as well), along with PSN not working at all. This is an incredibly frustrating problem that definitely appears to be on the network end, I've tried every possible local troubleshooting solution and none work other than waiting until this issue decides to temporarily solve itself.

gatownsend
join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH

gatownsend

I'm still having problems, too. This is incredibly frustrating. None of the sites dr0ker listed are reachable, along with a few others I'm trying to get to like:

verizonwireless.com
att.com
cricketwireless.com

(can you tell I'm shopping for new cellular service?)

~Gary
gatownsend

gatownsend

Anyone else having problems with Netflix, too? My wife just said she couldn't watch it on her iPad, and I just tried on the tv and can't get it to come up on there either. I can get to their website, but it's ridiculously slow.

Going to call customer service now. Wife just registered a vote for dumping WOW.
JustSurvive
join:2014-10-03
Cleveland, OH

JustSurvive

Yes, it appears that Netflix also falls under this umbrella of sites/services that do not work during this issue.

Midx
@50.4.144.x

Midx

Anon

Same issues.. DNS resolves, traces fail

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: e6203.b.akamaiedge.net
Address: 172.225.3.18
Aliases: www.sophos.com
www.sophos.com.edgekey.net

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert 172.225.3.18

Tracing route to a172-225-3-18.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [172.225.3.1
8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.

octobeast
@50.4.69.x

octobeast

Anon

have to login to a vpn just to make it to penfed.org to make a loan payment... this has been going on weeks now

gatownsend
join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH

gatownsend

I just tried and was able to reach penfed.org. So far I haven't had a problem (fingers crossed) since I used the reset button on the back of the UltraTV gateway yesterday.

~Gary

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to Anonymoose

Premium Member

to Anonymoose
Everyone posting they're still having issues, no one has listed they reset their cable modems like I mentioned (press the reset button on the back of the modem). Please verify you're rebooting your cable modem since the fix was put in place last week.
paule123
Cleveland, OH

paule123 to Anonymoose

to Anonymoose
A friend of mine (also in Shaker but on a slightly different subnet) has WOW internet+phone on the Arris TM502G. She had complained of the sites not working for a few days now, but I sort of blew it off until it started happening at my house.
I was at her house on Sunday, cycled power on her modem, and the problem of not reaching certain websites still persisted.

She called WOW this morning and after a comedy of errors, the issue was finally resolved.

1. Wow CS rep does something to the modem remotely so that the phone still worked but the modem wasn't handing out DHCP
2. Wow tech tells her to "reset" her Dlink router, thus wiping out all the settings in the router (aaaargh)
3. Friend calls me to say internet is now completely hosed.
4. Pissed off, I go over to her house to get WOW on the phone and the tech does another config thing on the modem to get DHCP working again
5. I reconfigure her Dlink router from scratch to get her home network back online.

/rant

kpossible
Premium Member

kpossible to Just_Dan

Premium Member

to Just_Dan

Are rebooting, resetting and power cycling all the same thing? If not, could someone please clarify? Thanks.

BTW - I haven't been having issues for a few days.

octobeast
@50.4.69.x

octobeast

Anon

Reboot or totally reset
arbeleg
join:2014-08-09
Westlake, OH

arbeleg to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I had tried unplugging power and rebooting the modem over the weekend with no success. I then followed WOW_Dan's instructions to press the reset button, and it worked! I was able to browse to all of the websites listed in this thread, most (all?) of which were unreachable for me before. And have had no problems since.

TL;DR: Resetting the cable modem is not the same as rebooting or power cycling. Try using the reset button on the back of the modem.

octobeast
@50.4.69.x

octobeast

Anon

resetting fixes it

imdabes
@76.189.115.x

imdabes to Anonymoose

Anon

to Anonymoose
Well despite seeing this thread I have WOW scheduled to do an installation tomorrow. I am paying $65/mo for 50/5 with Time Warner and WOW is offering the same speeds for $50 a month. I have had issues with Time Warner for the past few weeks; the most egregious thereof is Twitch.tv being practically unusable during peak hours. In fact based on my modem log I've had disconnects almost every other day; modem uptime is presently 1 day 13hrs. Reboots have been logged on the 7th, 5th, 3rd, and September 30th, just at a glance. Modem in question is a Motorola SB6141. Router is an ASUS N66U. I've been using the bandwidth monitoring when Twitch wasn't working to make sure no one was hogging the bandwidth (they weren't).

Well if I'm going to get crappy performance I can at least pay $15 a month less for it. I'll report back if I have any issues with WOW vs TWC.
an3951
join:2001-02-18
Brook Park, OH

an3951 to Anonymoose

to Anonymoose
Well it looks like WOW is back to high packet loss which makes using the internet nearly impossible. It really sucks that I need to pay for a backup ISP on top of paying $100 to WOW but I guess that is becoming the new norm.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to imdabes

to imdabes
said by imdabes :

Well despite seeing this thread I have WOW scheduled to do an installation tomorrow. I am paying $65/mo for 50/5 with Time Warner and WOW is offering the same speeds for $50 a month. I have had issues with Time Warner for the past few weeks; the most egregious thereof is Twitch.tv being practically unusable during peak hours. In fact based on my modem log I've had disconnects almost every other day; modem uptime is presently 1 day 13hrs. Reboots have been logged on the 7th, 5th, 3rd, and September 30th, just at a glance. Modem in question is a Motorola SB6141. Router is an ASUS N66U. I've been using the bandwidth monitoring when Twitch wasn't working to make sure no one was hogging the bandwidth (they weren't).

Well if I'm going to get crappy performance I can at least pay $15 a month less for it. I'll report back if I have any issues with WOW vs TWC.

Did you check to see if your signals are OK (no less than 35 SNR and between -5 and +5 power level on all downstream channels, 49 or less upstream power on all upstream channels, uncorrectable and correctable codewords should be just a small fraction of the total number of codewords)? There should be no more than 2 splitters between the drop line outside and your modem. Are all connections tight (should be wrench tight on all splitters and barrels)? Does your ground block outside look OK?

But if you have an intermittent signal issues, that could be a real bear to track down .
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to Anonymoose

to Anonymoose
A little while ago, my connection went dead. Traced it back to WOW's DNS servers. Put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in and presto, internet came back. It really is a little frustrating for WOW to _continuously_ have these weird network problems. I ditched Ultra TV (watch for my, soon to be typed up, cord cutting post) and am using my own cable modem.
paule123
Cleveland, OH

paule123 to imdabes

to imdabes
said by imdabes :

Well despite seeing this thread I have WOW scheduled to do an installation tomorrow. I am paying $65/mo for 50/5 with Time Warner and WOW is offering the same speeds for $50 a month.

That's an intro price. I've been paying $92/mo for 50/5 with WOW, always have, never got a deal. I've seen the 50% off promo prices in the mail recently and it kinda pisses me off.

Time for me to call WOW and threaten to cancel, to see if I can get the promo rate. Sigh...
jsehlms
join:2006-04-18
Cleveland, OH

jsehlms to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Dan, does the reset remove all firewall settings? I'd had to have to enter all 30 some firewall entries again..

This is ridiculous I have to have a secondary ISP setup because WOW can't figure out their network.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by jsehlms:

Dan, does the reset remove all firewall settings? I'd had to have to enter all 30 some firewall entries again..

Doing a quick reset will not affect any router settings of the device. Just make sure you don't hold down the reset button for more than a second, holding down the reset button too long could result in loss of router config settings.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm to jsehlms

to jsehlms
said by jsehlms:

This is ridiculous I have to have a secondary ISP setup because WOW can't figure out their network.

Get used to it, because it's only going to get worse. Looks like they've apparently decided they're going to deploy NebuAd or a workalike and more back in their network come hell, high water, or lawsuits. They're already fully aware that their 'DNS' is nothing more than an scam run by a criminal enterprise, and haven't changed it.

I was wondering why they went with CPU overkill on the MX's. Yeah, ain't so much overkill when you factor in using AppSpace to do DPI and likely a lot more than that.
an3951
join:2001-02-18
Brook Park, OH

an3951

Maybe that is why they are already intercepting traffic flowing to most of the popular websites regardless of what DNS server is used. What I find interesting is if sites like united.com are serving their ads and WOW starts injecting their own ads wouldn't that be illegal unless United Airlines contracts with WOW to altar their site? Seems underhanded and dirty to me.
hoehneb
join:2014-10-22
USA

1 edit

hoehneb to Anonymoose

to Anonymoose
I'm having Similar ISP (no cable) issues here in Columbus. I get total packet loss for a few seconds quite frequently in the evening. This makes gaming and streaming quite frustrating. I have to "reset" Netflix after a wait, or end up losing whatever game I'm in the middle of, if that's what I'm doing.

About six months ago, I called WOW and the guy had me reboot my modem and wi-fi router by unplugging it from the power, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. I've tried that on numerous occasions, but the problem doesn't go away.

I called back.

The second person had me test the line speed with an online test, which came out fine (roughly 15 down 2 up, 40ms latency- what I pay for), of course. The problem is not, as I explained, the speed or the normal latency, it's the intermittent total drop out of the service for a few seconds. The guy on the help line didn't seem to understand this.

To confirm that I wasn't just hallucinating, I downloaded a trial version of PingPlotter and let it run for several days. It showed a spike in packet loss around "prime time" (i.e. evening hours between about 8 p.m. and Midnight every day) and relatively clean service the rest of the day.

I'm about ready to switch ISPs but I'm not sure what my best alternative in my neck of the woods is.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I do so. I'm not a super-techie, but I can follow non-jargony instructions pretty well.