spc
Search similar:

uniqs
celavi5
join:2014-09-08
usa

1 recommendation

celavi5

Why is FIOS broadband blocked in Cresskill?

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this ongoing question.

Over the years, I have watched all the surrounding towns in bergen county obtain FIOS coverage. Each year (sometimes more), I have asked their support / sales line about coverage in Cresskill, and always get some vague response that they will log my inquiry. I can't help but think there's some underlying motive that FIOS has not been allowed in.

I have many ISP's over my many moves around NJ (Comcast, TimeWarner, FIOS), but these last years being stuck with only OPTIMUM in Cresskill has simply become unbearable. I have simply never, ever had such terrible service from one company, and an even worse customer service department who simply jerk you around and wear you down.

I'll tell ya... they have one fantastic Marketing department who know how to "sound" good, but they can not back up what their commercials sell you. I have heard countless complaints from people around town who are sick and frustrated with only having this one broadband bully option.

I am literally at the point of a full blown service disconnect, and just get by on any internet service. I would feel so much better with that than paying full price for the terrible service I get from Optimum.

I am reaching out once again to try to understand the reason for the missing coverage in Cresskill (which simply seems ludicrous), and if there is *any* chance of a light at the end of this long, dark, disheartening tunnel which is Optimum.

I hope someone can help.
Thank you very much.

steven324
@108.21.108.x

steven324

Anon

if ur area is very rural with few homes per mile , verizon may no want to build out. also if they cant obtain a franchise for tv as well due, its not worth building. good luck.
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222 to celavi5

to celavi5
Hey,

Apparently Cresskill, Englewood, Tenafly, and that area from what I was told may never get FiOS or will be a very long time before they do. I was told by a tech two years ago that their CO's in that area are a mess.

The only thing you could do is have sales contact Engineering to inquire if there are plans to build out the area.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by mario44222:

Hey,

Apparently Cresskill, Englewood, Tenafly, and that area from what I was told may never get FiOS or will be a very long time before they do. I was told by a tech two years ago that their CO's in that area are a mess.

The only thing you could do is have sales contact Engineering to inquire if there are plans to build out the area.

Bingo.

We have the same thing here - most of Morris County has FiOS available, but areas served from the Boonton CO - including parts of Parsippany & Lk Hiawatha - are not FiOS eligible. The reason I hear is that the CO is completely out of equipment space, so they can't install the FiOS gear, which means no fiber optics being strung outside in those areas either.

I sold my house and bought another one just 3 miles away on the Whippany side of Parsippany - FiOS is available here (and I love it!)
celavi5
usa

celavi5

Thanks alot for your replies guys.

I guess I'm in shock and disbelief that after all these years, they haven't made more progress with the CO to allow for new equipment / upgrades. I'm not familiar with CO's and how it all functions, but with a company as big as Verizon, wouldn't they have more influence to bring on changes?

I'd love to contact Engineering, but haven't a clue how to do so.??

After your comment Dennis (and having FIOS in the past) along with the absolute drivel from Optimum, man... am I jealous.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by celavi5:

Thanks alot for your replies guys.

I guess I'm in shock and disbelief that after all these years, they haven't made more progress with the CO to allow for new equipment / upgrades. I'm not familiar with CO's and how it all functions, but with a company as big as Verizon, wouldn't they have more influence to bring on changes?

I'd love to contact Engineering, but haven't a clue how to do so.??

After your comment Dennis (and having FIOS in the past) along with the absolute drivel from Optimum, man... am I jealous.

It's actually a lot simpler than it sounds ... CO stands for Central Office. A CO is a physical building, owned by the phone company, where the equipment lives.

All of the wires in an area go from your home to a CO. If there's no more physical room in that CO to put the equipment, there's just plain no room. I mean, physically, it's out of space.

A lot of these CO's are very old and in very developed areas - the Boonton CO, for example, is on Lathrop Ave in a residential area. No room to expand the building, even if they wanted to.

Building a new CO is a very expensive and complex proposition -- one that I haven't seen them undertake in a long, long time. Not to mention, they'd then have to rewire an entire area -- having copper houses go to one CO and fiber ones to another just wouldn't work for a myriad of reasons.

Here's a great video of the inside of a CO:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Bg2OdbJo

It's really a physical limitation problem - there's just no more room to put stuff. Disappointing, but it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Unless they can retire the copper gear, there's nowhere to put the fiber stuff. But they can't retire the copper gear unless the fiber stuff is up and running!
celavi5
usa

1 recommendation

celavi5

Thanks alot Dennis, appreciate the schooling.
Disappointing to say the least.

Hmmm, now where did I put that Real Estate section from today's paper......?

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to celavi5

to celavi5
Verizon lobbied for a statewide franchise and got it. As far as I am concerned they should be REQUIRED to build out the entire state or shut down. If it means **gasp** spending money to rebuild COs or relocate equipment then they have a responsibility to do so.
nj fios tec
join:2010-01-18
Morristown, NJ

nj fios tec to celavi5

to celavi5
Streets you sent me have Fios on them . Thought you wanted fios.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz0:

Verizon lobbied for a statewide franchise and got it. As far as I am concerned they should be REQUIRED to build out the entire state or shut down

The question is what did Verizon agree to with the NJ State Regulators? It's possible they negotiated less than 100% coverage for exactly this type of CO. You'd need to look at the agreements and regulations to determine if VZ is actually violating anything.

If they are in violation, then you are right and should lean your your regulators and elected officials.

Good Luck.

dianac
Premium Member
join:2014-06-13
Demarest, NJ

dianac to celavi5

Premium Member

to celavi5
Wow...didn't know Creskill didn't have FiOS! We live next door in Demarest and we were hooked up with FiOS over 5 years ago. There is optical cable on the poles all down Knickerboker Road through Cresskill and into Tenafly. It's hard to believe that the little CO in Closter could handle FiOS but not the larger one in Englewood.
celavi5
usa

celavi5 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Thanks J.
Are you or others in Tenafly hooked up with FIOS?
celavi5

celavi5 to nj fios tec

to nj fios tec
Thanks tec.

That all sounds great... but how would I, as a "potential" future customer, go about pushing Verizon to check / double-check the ability for me to get FIOS service - and then follow through with an install?
celavi5

celavi5 to gs0b

to gs0b
Now that's interesting.... how would one find details about their actual agreement and determine violations?

Does anyone already have access or know this info?
celavi5

celavi5 to dianac

to dianac
Yes, shocking. :-(
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to celavi5

to celavi5
You'd be surprised how little room is required in a CO to go to fiber.