All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Real Neil
join:2009-11-23
Drexel Hill, PA

Real Neil

Philadelphia, Evening Slow Internet Speed

I have an ongoing issue with RCN internet bandwidth. At approximately 7am my bandwidth averages 50meg. Lately the evening average is 10 to 15meg. I am a service technician for a telecommunications company so I am familiar with the in house testing and troubleshooting procedures. This appears to network issue and not a local in house problem. Is there any way possible to have this analyzed without customer service insisting on a technicians visit?
Encoded Mac: b931de16997df29189e8375faafa63cee1634431

st89jebn
Premium Member
join:2009-07-22
Drexel Hill, PA

st89jebn

Premium Member

Are you still having issues. We're fine here:

Real Neil
join:2009-11-23
Drexel Hill, PA

Real Neil

Yes, still only receiving less than half of the 50 meg service in the evening. 50+ during the early morning. No response here, I'll open a service call.
scott523
join:2005-12-02
Upper Darby, PA

scott523

Click for full size
Speed tests from 8/3 to 9/21
3 days were tested up to midnight, which is where you see 3 spikes in speed increases. 90% of tests below the global line are from 2pm-1am. 10% are speeds that rise 30min before/after 12am. The chart isn't great and because I have a router extending the main router, I know wifi speeds can diminish. However, when testing right next to my routers, I expect speeds to be above the global line of 20Mbps at all times, wired or wireless, especially with the speeds I'm provisioned. Once I get an ethernet adapter, I'll be speed testing every evening for a better view.

Encoded Mac: ca06905e1f619b8bc79892d9b3f567797079671f
said by Real Neil:

Yes, still only receiving less than half of the 50 meg service in the evening. 50+ during the early morning. No response here, I'll open a service call.

May I ask what cable modem are you using? There's probably nothing wrong with it but I'm using the Arris TM822 for phone/internet.

I've been in your boat since March and after numerous technician visits nothing has been done to fix this. They walk in, note the normal setup and signals, power cycle, run a speed test, acknowledge the discrepancy, then walk out with nothing much they can do.

It's apparent that this is easily being swept under the rug because it occurs about 6 hours a day between 6pm-12am. It's days like tonight that I come here to reiterate my case, when my speeds are 2Mbps up and 2Mbps down when I'm provisioned 50Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up. The quality of service at these times are very dodgy too, with downloads ranging from 1Mbps - 20Mbps.