uniqs
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes

Re: Live CRTC - pick and pay

said by Walter Dnes:

said by JMJimmy:

I'd really like to know why you think content isn't content - regardless of the delivery platform?

So if I rent DVDs and/or Bluerays from Redbox kiosks, should I be required to watch X% Canadian movies?

Obviously the comment was within the context of the CRTC hearing/thread.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

said by JMJimmy:

I'd really like to know why you think content isn't content - regardless of the delivery platform?

So if I rent DVDs and/or Bluerays from Redbox kiosks, should I be required to watch X% Canadian movies?

From what I can recall, the reason forcing a certain percentage of CanCon was that broadcasters were using up a limited public resource - spectrum. Similarly with BDUs - there were limited amounts of space on the distribution system.

This is no longer true, but the Cancon concept still lives.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Cancon isn't about using up a limited resource, it's about not allowing a foreign industry to completely squash our own. It is usually cheaper for production companies to shoot in the states, and Cancon is about helping to make sure that shows are getting made north of the border as well.

An argument can be made that we don't need it any more, because the industry is already established here, but it never would have been established here if it weren't for the Cancon rules. A lot of AAA titles that people think are American were actually made in Vancouver or Toronto. Personally, I don't have a problem with continuing the Cancon rules... I suspect that if we gave up on it, gradually over time the industry would pack up shop and move somewhere cheaper.

Given that I work in an industry where... let's just say I'm only 33 and I've been laid off 4 times because they're packing up shop and moving somewhere cheaper... I may be a bit biased. But I still think that the cancon rule is important.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

said by taraf:

Cancon isn't about using up a limited resource, it's about not allowing a foreign industry to completely squash our own. It is usually cheaper for production companies to shoot in the states, and Cancon is about helping to make sure that shows are getting made north of the border as well.

Uhh, no - it's actually the opposite. US companies come here to shoot because it's cheaper. There are over 200 US productions shot here every year because of this. Part of it is the dollar exchange, part is the tax break, the rest is the value for investment.

CanCon, under the guise of promoting Canadian culture, is about money (like everything else). They want Canadian companies benefiting from the profits of media sales. It's estimated that Hollywood alone brings in $504 billion to the US economy - Canadians are not stupid, we want our share of that market. Unfortunately we also have egos and producing American style junk isn't good enough for us or no one can afford the cost/have the ability to market it globally.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to milnoc

to milnoc
Thank you very much for the opportunity to see this here, and not have to wait for the video coverage to be loaded. I was standing outside the hearing room on a call when I heard applause and cheering inside, a virtually unheard of occurrence, and wondered at the cause, and was later told about the video. Having seen it I can understand the outburst. It is terrific, a breath of fresh air, and the presentation of complex economic and cultural concepts in a most comprehensible and witty way.That reflected sensibility tells me you should start your own channel. VMedia will guarantee carriage!I agree partly with your views, and I hope we will one day have a chance to exchange opinions on the subject.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Thanks, George! It was all worth it.

As for my channel, it's currently on hiatus until I can figure out what I can do with it. After the CRTC had approved my license back in 2007, what I uncovered during the years was unfortunately a huge amount of cynicism from all Canadians towards English Canadian content in general. It would have been an uphill climb to convince anyone to even try to watch my channel's programming.

It's too bad. I've had help from the industry with my broadcast experiments, and it revealed that a proper software development cycle could have resulted in a Universal and robust IP based content delivery system extending from the broadcaster to the BDU to the consumer.

But with the cynicism in place, I'm probably better off producing my own ambiguously Canadian material, and sell it to Netflix!

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
The CRTC should not even be regulating CATV, let alone internet content / choices.

The CRTC gave themselves the authority to regulate cable tv on the lame/faulty premis that, just like the public radio spectrum (which they were created to regulate), there are also "waves" travelling inside CATV cables, and hence they said they can also regulate those too.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Those BDU costs you mention, in the TalkTV a proceeding, that's what the CRTC is trying to fix... It shouldn't be that high, you should be able to get the chans you want and not be bundled in with all sorts of stuff you don't want but are forced to pay for... That's what the pick and pay thing is all about.

It doesn't matter Marc, the telco's are not going to lose revenue. Look at the shift from a 3yr cell contract to 2, the prices went up to compensate, they are making the same revenue over 2yrs instead of 3.

Same with TV, in the end it's going to cost us more , i cut the cord over 5yrs ago and have never had such a variety of international content to chose from.

Not just that, but in those packages, they air what they want, I saw a billboard for "Murder she wrote" on Vision TV, for a "faith based" channel, I wonder how that equates to a whoodunit?
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

I saw a billboard for "Murder she wrote" on Vision TV, for a "faith based" channel, I wonder how that equates to a whoodunit?

Equates about as much as "Pawn Stars" does to History Television.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by mr weather:

said by elwoodblues:

I saw a billboard for "Murder she wrote" on Vision TV, for a "faith based" channel, I wonder how that equates to a whoodunit?

Equates about as much as "Pawn Stars" does to History Television.

LOL I was just thinking the same thing! That's my concern about the proposed pick-and-pay scheme. The popular shows ( I'm not saying Pawn Star is ) will be spread around to different specialty stations so that you'll have to buy them all; even if the channel name has nothing to do with the topic of the show.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
Pawn stars has "historical items"
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

True. And I guess since murder is against one of the Ten Commandments there's your "religious" aspect.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

The majority of the content on a BDU is owned by Rogers, Bell, Shaw.. I.e. The vertically integrated companies.. Who impose high rates on competitors and in essence have forced prices way up... Lax regulation on forcing their hand has allowed them to keep doing this for a long time now... This was repeated many times by many parties over the course of the two weeks.

Fair prices to competitors would do quit a bit to improve that situation...

Since I didn't watch all the days of hearings, can anyone tell me if in all two weeks of the hearings ANYONE told the CRTC in plain language that they (and the Competition Bureau) fatally fucked everything up and caused much of the problem by permitting the wireline BDU incumbents to become vertically integrated with content?

Given the way Blais ripped into Netflix I can only imagine what his reaction to a factual statement like the foregoing would have brought forth from him.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Here's how the CRTC normally works.

The CRTC asks the public for opinions on proposed policy changes on a regular basis, and the public gives the CRTC their opinions. The CRTC then uses the information submitted by individuals and corporations to reach a decision on how these policies should be changed.

If only corporations show up at the CRTC hearings, almost all of the opinions the CRTC will receive will be greatly biased and one-sided. The CRTC's decisions, no matter how bad they might be, will be based on these opinions.

Yep.
Just like priests showing up at Galileo's heresy trial to testify that the pre-Copernican view of the cosmos is the gospel from God's lips, whilst Galileo is gagged & muzzled. Thus "The Truth" is revealed to the Cardinals Commissioners.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

And yet, I wasn't gagged and muzzled during my generally opposing presentation.

I may have had a touch of the shakes and a bit of trouble finding my opening speech, but that's all.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

And yet, I wasn't gagged and muzzled during my generally opposing presentation.

It's because you have an adorable "Hello Kitty" quality about you.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Oh, man! Is that what I looked like during my presentation? I'm gonna hate seeing it tomorrow!
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

Great presentation milnoc.

Did anyone saw what Hollywood Suite and Ethnic Channel Group said ?

Thanks

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Saw the CPAC version. I'm so glad I respected the safe action and safe text zones on the sides of the 16x9 aspect ratio window! Nothing critical was lost!

But, man! I'm not used to seeing my head from the side!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Many broadcasts (HD) these days are still 4x3 safe. I see the bugs are usually within that area.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
My final submission has been posted. It might have a couple of rough spots, but I did write it at midnight last night.

»services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ ··· 2&Lang=e

I wanted to post it a bit early to give the incumbents something to argue about before Friday's deadline.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy

CRTC irrelevant now - HBO And CBS Just Killed Cable TV

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/da ··· 216.html

And that brings another reality into focus, one that could be hard to swallow for many media execs: The one thing we really won't need in the digital future of televised entertainment is cable TV companies.

Of course since Rogers/Bell own soon to be dead TV providers, they'll simply jack-up internet rates to boost their profits back to where they were and to keep Dear Leader George Cope Most Benevolent & Divine ensconced in the gold-plate Bell executive washroom.

All the more reason for the Competition Bureau to break them up now.

Treegravy
Premium Member
join:2011-04-21
Canada

Treegravy

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Amen.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

All the more reason we need TPIA..
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

2 recommendations

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

As Online Viewing Soars, Internet TV Will Soon Be the Only TV
»www.wired.com/2014/10/on ··· will-tv/

»Re: Foreign Investment/Ownerership in Telecom Review
Let's start our own 'award' in the vein of the Oscars, Emmy's, etc... and call it BD-PIC. No, not Bondage & Domination -- for that's what we have right now from the incumbents. It stands for Best Dumb Pipe In Canada.

We can have a ceremony, searchlights, a red carpet, and Rick Mercer or Strombo doing the MC duties. It'll be an honor to win it. And for those companies in the bottom 50% of the voting, a thorough dusting with DDT or Agent Orange to kill them off.

Think of the possibilities.

-------------------------

»Another Konrad disconnect
Another Konrad disconnect

»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···1596156/

“I don't think you can separate telecom and broadcasting in an age of convergence,” Konrad von Finckenstein, chairman of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, said Tuesday at the Canadian Telecom Summit in Toronto.

And now the venting.....

Hey Konrad - I've got news for you. It's only fricking converging because the dicks in Ottawa (you included) allow it to. It's no different than before 1987 in Canada, the brokerage, banking, & trust businesses had to be separated. Ditto in the US until 1999 when Glass-Steagall was rescinded and banks & brokers were permitted to merge (and we've all seen how well that works out).

Be a broadcaster, or be a dumb pipe, or be a service provider. Pick one - and be the best you can be at it. Compete, rather than hiding behind idiotic regulations that feather your bed.

milnoc
Ottawa

1 edit

milnoc to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy

Re: Live CRTC - pick and pay

Next week, the CRTC will release a "Let's Talk TV" decision regarding local television.

Just before the Super Bowl.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors

OH SNAP! I'm anxious & excited!

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Just a quick heads up that next week's upcoming CRTC decision might NOT include a decision in regards to signal substitution. Dr. Dave at Digital Home pointed to item #16 in the CRTC's "Let's Talk TV" working document at the following link: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 90-3.htm

Granted, there is a difference between "local television" and "local programming," but you have to admit the timing of the announcement is a bit unusual. They could have waited a week or two, and be out of the Super Bowl cloud.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by milnoc:

Just a quick heads up that next week's upcoming CRTC decision might NOT include a decision in regards to signal substitution. Dr. Dave at Digital Home pointed to item #16 in the CRTC's "Let's Talk TV" working document at the following link: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 90-3.htm

Granted, there is a difference between "local television" and "local programming," but you have to admit the timing of the announcement is a bit unusual. They could have waited a week or two, and be out of the Super Bowl cloud.

Or their doing it at this time exactly because of the "Superbowl Cloud, because they know their decision is going to raise hackles and I'll wager $10 that says it isn't the BDU's that are going to be upset...

Why yes I am a cynical bastard, why do you ask?

NefCanuck
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

fmradio68

I don't think any changes will happen before the SuperBowl. However if the CRTC wanted to show that they are serious and tough about it, then this would be a great opportunity for sim subbing changes.