uniqs
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

You will Never have to worry about HD space again

I saw this, and thought I would share.

»9to5toys.com/2014/09/08/ ··· er-made/

I just thought this was more amusing, than is it practical.
Expand your moderator at work
webcobbler

webcobbler

Re: You will Never have to worry about HD space again

I do not have Tivo. But, like I said. It's amusing. Who will ever need 24TBs of DVR recordings. Let alone 2TB.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to webcobbler

MVM

to webcobbler
Yeah, but it's only 6 tuners.

Since it isn't available until 2015, the $5000 price tag may change.
And the other burning question: what's the lifetime service charge? Oops. Saw it's built-in.
The other tidbit: TiVo Minis are losing the monthly fee.
daghis
Premium Member
join:2004-07-22
Canonsburg, PA

daghis to webcobbler

Premium Member

to webcobbler
My 3 TB TiVo Roamio Pro is 85% full!

Of course, that's from the various free previews Verizon's aired of premium channels, and I use my six tuners to record as much of them as I can, just in case I ever want to watch that stuff later. I've got the first three seasons of Game of Thrones sitting unwatched on my TiVo thanks to a marathon that HBO aired during the previous free preview.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to webcobbler

Premium Member

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

I saw this, and thought I would share.

»9to5toys.com/2014/09/08/ ··· er-made/

I just thought this was more amusing, than is it practical.

Yes very impractical. Especially with only six tuners. I already have over 140TB of storage available on my network between my three unRAID setups and other NAS devices. I can use some of that to store TiVo recordings if I want. Well except for HBO or CInemax on FiOS.
But 24TB of storage with only six tuners sounds pretty useless.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

I do not have Tivo. But, like I said. It's amusing. Who will ever need 24TBs of DVR recordings. Let alone 2TB.

Yea and who would ever need more than 64K memory for a computer .. oh wait that was 1981.

If 4K becomes a standard and all the on-line services offer 4K streaming that 2TB could be filled up with a movie collection.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

64k Memory, for $400 dollars more. ca 1984 lol

The Macintosh 125k was $2500, now $5600 , back in 1985.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to daghis

to daghis
And yet you are a hard disk glitch away from it being all gone.....
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

said by crgauth:

Not if RAID is used across multiple drives. With that much storage I would hope RAID 5 was always used.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to webcobbler

to webcobbler
How many hours of programming does 24TB equate to? How could anyone possibly have time to watch that much recorded programming unless you have a family of 10 living in your house.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy

said by ansky:

How many hours of programming does 24TB equate to? How could anyone possibly have time to watch that much recorded programming unless you have a family of 10 living in your house.

Response will be they dont even watch 90% of it.

Just like to have alot of stuff around.

24TB = 4,000 HD hrs according to article.

voipguy
join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY

voipguy to ansky

to ansky
From the CED article:
"The six-tuner TiVo Mega has a mind-boggling 24 terabytes of storage, which is the equivalent of over 26,000 hours of SD storage space and 4,000 hours of HD space."

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to ansky

Premium Member

to ansky
said by ansky:

Who says you have to watch it? I only watch a fraction of what I record. I record over 400 shows every two week period. I only watch a small percentage of that. But I do want a wide variety of content available to watch when I sit down to watch TV. Since I never know what I will be in the mood to watch.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy

Called it....see my post a few up about 90% which might even be low actually.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to daghis

to daghis
My 500 gb DVR is 28% full. I have rarely exceeded 50% full. There are only two of us. We also watch Verizon VOD, Netflix (which includes PBS VOD), and Amazon Prime, which keeps the DVR from loading much at all.
daghis
Premium Member
join:2004-07-22
Canonsburg, PA

daghis to crgauth

Premium Member

to crgauth
said by crgauth:

At least that shouldn't apply to the stuff I actually care about. The programs I've marked as Keep Until I Delete are automatically archived off to my ReadyNAS Ultra. I'll lose the HBO/Cinemax programs, but I'll keep everything else I want to save.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to webcobbler

to webcobbler
they could take that $5000 and buy umpteenth years worth of all the top streaming services with unlimited access to every show catalog and movie, rather than trying to save DRM protected content that becomes useless once you disable your service
Expand your moderator at work
Methodical2
join:2007-07-29
Clinton, MD

Methodical2 to webcobbler

to webcobbler

Re: You will Never have to worry about HD space again

People spend that much time in front of a TV - sheesh.
Shay
join:2010-07-29
Dallas, TX

Shay to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

Who says you have to watch it? I only watch a fraction of what I record. I record over 400 shows every two week period. I only watch a small percentage of that. But I do want a wide variety of content available to watch when I sit down to watch TV. Since I never know what I will be in the mood to watch.

How many SP and ARWL do you have?

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Shay:

said by aaronwt:

How many SP and ARWL do you have?

I think around 160 or 170. I do have dozens of Season Passes for news programs. And I only have it set to keep one episode from most of those so I always have the most recent newscast.
EDIT: I just checked online. 184 with the Season PAsses from my Roamio Pro, OTA Roamio BAsic, and OTA Premiere.