spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

SmartRG setup issues

Hey guys just got my new 25/10 service setup and it was working great. However I wanted to turn off wireless on the modem since I have my own dedicated router.

So I connected a network cable directly from the modem to my computer and went to 192.168.1.1 however it does not work. Turned the modem on and off but still nothing. I even hit and held the reset button on the back of the modem but still I can't get to the config page of the modem.

I'm running windows 7 and under network & sharing centre it says Unidentified network (public network) I feel like it may have something to do with that. Also my network card is getting an ip of 169.254.186.203 from the modem.

Or if somebody knows the default wireless password I can try to connect that way to configure it.

Thanks

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I assume you were running it in bridge mode... The SmartRG doesn't enable its own DHCP server in bridge mode, so if you want to access it you'll have to set your NIC to a static IP in its range, like 192.168.1.10 and netmask of 255.255.255.0

But as for just turning off the wireless, isn't one of the buttons on the back for that?

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Perfect thats exactly what it was thanks.

I had tried the button in the back but it did not seem to turn it off. Maybe its a reset button for the wireless password? Either way I disabled it in the Gui and now all is good.

Thanks for the help.
bryanviper

bryanviper

Click for full size

Here are my Line stats and speed results. Looks pretty good.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
Cool no prob, stats look great!

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Yea I was expecting to have issues not being able to get full speeds but it seems like everything is good. I'm close to my upload limit though 90%. But then again I dont see bell offering anything faster then that yet anyways but obviously if I can bring that down it would be better.

I'm tempted to mess around with the lines in the demarc and see if I can improve anything.

On another note I notice a lot of people only get around 7mbit upload (seen it alot) I wonder why, are most areas that bad that they cant Handel 10mbit upload? Considering my area has very old lines it surprised me.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Its distance related mostly, the upstream degrades quicker than upstream when you get to speeds like that, especially on Stingers.

There's no point in trying to improve anything at your demarc, Bell will not offer anything more than 50/10 on Stingers, the absolute maximum of the 12A VDSL profile is 68mbps, and thats probably at a very very close distance...

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

interesting,

I guess the next thing would be fiber. Which is coming soon from a bell network guy I talked to. I just home 3rd party ISPs can access the fiber by the time that happens.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah i'll be stuck on 50/10 max for a long time, unless Bell upgrades the Stinger to a newer FTTN remote. I dont see actual FTTH here for quite a while, because everything is underground on this street.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

ahh see I live in an older area of toronto, nothing is underground so they will be stringing fiber on the poles & then to our home. Since they wontrun the cables underground ours will probably be done sooner rather then later since it will cost less.

From what I was told is fibe TV plans on having 4K HD in the future and the only way to do that will be with fiber so its coming. He said probably in the next 2-5years but not to quote him on that.