spc
Search similar:

uniqs
alex14464
join:2004-11-11
Bonne Terre, MO

alex14464

2010 chevy siverado 5.3

Hey all, dropped my tuck off at the dealer this morning service because it has had this lifter tick on start up for some time and has been burning oil. They called me this afternoon and told me they ordered me new pistons and rings. The also said they ordered and are replacing all the lifters too. Is this normal for the 5.3 engine? and what they are doing is the correct repair? just seems like the almost are giving me a new engine. Any input would be great. the truck has about 78,000 miles on it and been using about 4qt an oil change. and the lifter tick was just on first start in the am.they replaced the oil pump a few months back due to the lifter tick but that did not fix it. until recently it did not burn oil that's when i decided to bring it back in. thanks all for any input.

chris

FuriousG
join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON

FuriousG

Very normal, although odd they would opt straight into new hardware.
You didn't mention, but 2010's and down there are updated rocker covers to reduce oil pullover (fills intake with oil), a deflector to be installed over the AFM relief valve (which they may have done when pump replaced).
And we usually do the ring soak first, have had pretty good luck if let sit long enough.

These series AFM engines chug oil like mad, a lot of them won't even show oil on the dipstick 3/4 the way through an oil change interval. It's been rare to find any that don't around here. We are a small dealer and I've done 20+ sets of pistons here, not including all the deflectors/oil fouled plugs on #1/7, and ring soaks which more than triples that number.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to alex14464

MVM

to alex14464
Do the pistons fix it permanently?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to alex14464

Premium Member

to alex14464
spec range is 1qt per 1,000 miles. toomuch imo..

my uses about 1qt per 3,000-3,500 miles

I suspect it's just leaking rather then burning it

FuriousG
join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON

FuriousG to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
Unsure on it being permanent. I haven't seen any come back yet, but who knows how many miles have been accumulated :shrug:
Although it may not take long, tech across from me did a set on an LC9 that only had ~28000 km on it.
FuriousG

FuriousG to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
Accepted consumption is actually up to 1qt per 2000miles for a normally driven vehicle. Oh and they most definitely burn it....or attempt to at least.

Not saying he does/does not have a leak...these also have a tendency to leak at the rear block cover, some are cover issues and there have been cases of porous blocks. But that amount of oil is very easily spotted.
alex14464
join:2004-11-11
Bonne Terre, MO

alex14464

Yeah it definitely did not leak any at all never seen it where i park. im guessing they are using new hardware. they did not Evan do the oil consumption test. just called and said they would get me a rental because they had to order all the new parts. ill get an invoice of all they did when they get it back to me and let you know. I had the lifters done in my g8 gt at this dealer and they did a good job. hope they do the same since they are taking the whole motor apart right? lol any way i can have them put in non DOD lifters to get rid of that oil consumption all together?

chris