All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

[TV] CRTC proceedings a la carte tv channels..

So anyone paying attention to this as Rogers, Bell, Shaw and Telus head to the CRTC to discuss the CRTC unbundling channel packages to give the consumer the option of only ordering the one channel they want, without the 10 they never watch?

Potentially it can go both ways, you can order less but end up paying more, or you can order less and have $30/month cable..

»www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada ··· .2753436
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

If I had the choice, my digital box would get CTV, City, Global. And AMC.

Nothing else.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

There's a fear that A la carte ordering will kill some channels.

In my opinion, a lot need to die.

Do I need francophone radio? Do I need 5 TSNs? Do I need Spike? (really only so many Die Hard, 007 or star wars marathons one can watch) I swear CSI reruns is a channel in itself

In a world of Netflix, torrents and $2 dvds at Walmart, we can live without 85% of what's considered programming these days.

I see the a la carte as a move towards what happened to the music industry.

Artists used to make 1 hit song, then fill the other 17 tracks with fluff crap that would never get air play.

Since iTunes made it possible to buy per track, albums began to get 2..3..6.. hit songs. Musicians had to put effort in to writing multiple solid tracks cause one hit didn't really generate revenue.

They forced to provide quality over quantity. TV should be the same.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
Unless Rogers (or some other BDU) can offer a sports *only* package (No other channels at all, just sports channels) I'm never going back to the cable cabal.

NefCanuck
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Well that's sort of what this is.
You get an HD BOX, puck sports net, tsn 1-78 or however many they are at.
ESPN (killing the crap no one watches means adding new good stuff previously not available.)
Maybe golftv, NHL center ice, game center live, Nascar, etc..

You only put the individual channels you want in.

Not a big fan of golf? Don't add it.
Add every other sport you DO like.

For me, I watch about 4 shows, no sports. No movies, no reality, no renovation shows, no music stations (most are all reality crap not even music).

I need only the 4 or 5 channels that air my series.

If all of a sudden Fox is worth watching, I add it and it alone to my line up.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck
Thing is, Rogers is saying that a station like HBO, at $18/month in a movies package, would be $18/month alone. As it basically pays for the other channels in the package to exist.

So they presume that by breaking up the package that is $18, if you ordered the stations individually, you may end up paying $30/month.

So this could cost some people more.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Rogers is full of SH*T as usual. HBO probably costs Rogers pennies per user per month JUST LIKE the gigs of data that Rogers charges $2-$3-$5-$10 per on overage charges monthly.

Rogers has been thieving and robbing people blind for so long that the Rogers execs are starting to believe their own BS.

Repeat a lie enough times and the lie becomes the truth.
Expand your moderator at work

Fr Lurker
@99.254.8.x

Fr Lurker to cepnot4me

Anon

to cepnot4me

Re: [TV] CRTC proceedings a la carte tv channels..

They could easily cut through any possible bs by not allowing providers to make such statements without opening up their books to scrutiny otherwise why bother with hearings.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I don't think it's BS. Mostly cause whe. I was in college, my electrical professor was working for CTV.
The prices I can't confirm, but the way specialty stations like HBO work, they take a cut of the revenue the provider gets when you order it. Sometimes a percentage, sometimes a set amount.

So by ordering the movies package, HBO takes 10%, TMN takes 10% and they throw in Mpix, random station 1 and 2 etc.

There is then 10 stations there, you watch HBO 50% of the time, TMN 25% and their other stations 10% of the time.

With HBO alone, they have your attention only 50% of the time, but by forcing their other channels on you they achieve 85% of your attention.

When you incorporate any kind of advertising, They reach a larger audience or more of the audiences attention in a package than they do standing alone.
If they lose that revenue, where else can they put it except directly onto the station everyone orders. The ones we don't order aren't generating squat.

HBO and TMN now want 40% of the subscriber revenue from those two stations.
The cost per channel increases 60% cause Rogers won't just absorb the new contract terms.

Then Rogers tacks on their delivery charge.

All of a sudden having HBO makes up 40% of your cable bill. (The other 60 being the charges from Rogers to provide it to you).

Doubt it
@209.87.227.x

Doubt it to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Rogers is full of SH*T as usual. HBO probably costs Rogers pennies per user per month

Your run of the mill non-premium ad supported channel often costs $0.25+ per sub right now due to being bundled with other channels (thus getting more subs than they would un-bundled). HBO is a premium channel with no ad revenue, so will be a lot more expensive.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

So let's go with that, $0.25+ Delivery fee from Rogers, $1? Hell, I'm gonna go with $1.75.

$2/ channel that has commercials.

Way back I was able to add an extra movie station to my movies package for $2, so I'd say $2 is fair.

My line up. $10/month. Plus an HDPVR rental (might as splurge) $30/month.

I'd get cable at that price.

forgot basic
@209.87.227.x

forgot basic

Anon

said by cepnot4me:

So let's go with that, $0.25+ Delivery fee from Rogers, $1? Hell, I'm gonna go with $1.75.

$2/ channel that has commercials.

The $0.25 will go up, though. How much is hard to say, since it will probably vary by channel.

Your CBC article also had some examples of the current rates the channels are getting. HDTV - $0.16, Showcase - $0.29, TSN - $2.50.
said by cepnot4me:

My line up. $10/month.

Even with pick & pay, there will still be the "skinny basic". CRTC has tossed around $20-30 as their expected price range for that.
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

dtchmshkyan to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
Exactly, it's the mandatory nature and price of basic cable package that drives everybody crazy.

I have basic cable package for about $40 and I only watch two channels from it, both of which I can also receive for free OTA with even better quality.

The real value I get from the Nature and Adventure package which costs me $5.99 and which I watch regularly.

I am in cable cancellation mode for the last three years already. The only reason I still have basic cable is that I don't pay for it. Every time I call to confirm cancellation of TV I get a discount equal to the cost of basic cable package. The moment Rogers refuses to prolong the discount my cable TV will be gone.

My ideal solution is to have Nature and Adventure Package for $5.99 plus CBC for $2. In this case I will happily pay for what I really watch.

But pay $45 for just one channel - no thanks.

Candew
join:2005-09-23
N. America

Candew to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
Whatever the outcome, you can be sure that any "pick-and-pay" solution will be structured such that the providers will be able to, at the very least, maintain their current revenue stream.

In other words, your cable bill will not be going down, but will stay the same or, more likely, end up being more then what you are currently paying.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Lol. Currently I'm paying $0.
I'd think this is a way for Rogers/Bell/shaw etc to regain customers.
People like me that won't pay more than $30/month.

I won't even pay for netflix. Lol.
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70 to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
People wanted 2-year cell phone contracts, and what happened? Prices went up.

This may sound like a good idea on the surface, but Rogers will find a way to f*** us.
dtchmshkyan
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan

Contract s are really people's choice, who select the contract commitment in exchange for a heavy discount for a phone. Buy your own phone and there will be no contract

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by dtchmshkyan:

Contract s are really people's choice, who select the contract commitment in exchange for a heavy discount for a phone. Buy your own phone and there will be no contract

THE POINT IS, Rogers monthly bills have become so enormous, for some, that they've exceded UTILITY bill status. People could buy houses and cars with the cash they send monthly and yearly to Rogers.

Just ridiculous when a telecom is gouging the public to the point they are faced with having to choose between having a place to call home or having a cell phone in their pocket and TV to watch.

When you think of all the money you will spend on Rogers over a period of, let's say, 20 years and what real world market value assets you accumulated from it, during that period, you will find yourself lacking any REAL solid financial investments or security.

All you'll have is a beat up old phone and worn out TV. ROGERS has taken all your cash.

SPEND LIKE NEVER BEFORE.
dtchmshkyan
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan

I agree with you in regards that Rogers charges a lot for their services and I can see it very well as I come from Europe where direct fibre line50/50 can be had for $30 with no cap.

Cable TV provides very poor programming, that is why a lot of people cancel their cable every month and Cable TV had long been a money loosing unit for Rogers.

Wireless is where Rogers makes the most profit. I totally agree that since smartphones has become so widespread and Rogers hooked up everybody on data plans many people just can't go back.

But the point is that it is your choice. Rogers offers you a service and it's up to you whether to buy it or not. Many people just need to ask themselves if they really need a $100 data plan or $80 cable VIP package. Internet is a bit different as it became an almost a necessity for many people.

Rogers was only able to maintain such high prices and raise them annually because people pay for them.

And to your last point Rogers services are not meant to provide you any return on investment as they are just services which you pay for. Nothing else.
pkclown
join:2014-03-01
Chilliwack, BC

pkclown to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
I think the poster is trying to illustrate how the monthly bills are comparable to those other bigger bills.

At any rate, pun intended, I do agree with the idea that costs are going up, and I agree that it takes two to tangle; that is, in conjunction with the public demanding 2-year wireless contracts and the public tolerating these cable rates, Rogers is taking full advantage of all these things in an attempt to drive profit and please shareholders. Wow, a corporation trying to make money in a capitalist society? How dare them!
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

The last 10 years changed information technology. The consumer proved that they preferred to pay for radio. That Internet is more valuable than telephone. That despite a recession being connected is more important than anything.
We became a culture willing to pay for "right now" access to people and information.
Apple integrated it all into a phone so we could be always connected, anywhere, anytime.
Providers didn't push us in that direction, we pushed technology in that direction.

They just capitalized on our sense of urgency and need for immediate information.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to elitefx

to elitefx
what exactly are you basing this on? The pennies a gig thing is a given but that's mainly since everything is amortized, as for HBO I know for a fact its over $10 a month for them........

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by eeeaddict:

as for HBO I know for a fact its over $10 a month for them........

Well, post your facts, lets see them. Show us something in black and white that says poor little Rogers has to pay ALL this money for HBO. Thanks..........
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to Candew

to Candew
said by Candew:

Whatever the outcome, you can be sure that any "pick-and-pay" solution will be structured such that the providers will be able to, at the very least, maintain their current revenue stream.

There are ways that Rogers can keep their revenue stream, but reduce the costs to consumers. Let's say I am paying Rogers $80/month for 200 channels. Let's assume that I never watch 100 of those channels and Rogers actually passes $10/month for me for those channels. So I can drop to 100 channels and $70/month and Rogers is still collecting the same net revenue.

Sure a bunch of channels will die but I don't really care if the Food channel or the Pet channel of HGTV or whatever dies. The only way Rogers loses is if they own some of those channels so that they were making money from that division as well.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

Thing is, Rogers is saying that a station like HBO, at $18/month in a movies package, would be $18/month alone. As it basically pays for the other channels in the package to exist.

So they presume that by breaking up the package that is $18, if you ordered the stations individually, you may end up paying $30/month.

So this could cost some people more.

If $18 is the "A la carte" price for HBO then lets see what happens when Rogers tries to charge that in the pick & pay universe. Guess what? It won't happen and Rogers will have to reduce the price unless they are happy with the numbers of subscribers that they do get.

I think that cable TV has "hit the wall" in terms of what people are willing to pay for and how much that they are willing to pay for it.

I hit that wall when I realized just how little non sports programming I was watching and how I could (Legally) get the sports programming I wanted at a cost that was far less than Rogers (or any BDU) was able, or indeed willing, to sell me "just the sports that I want to watch"

NefCanuck
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

It's not what Rogers Charges, It's what The broadcasters charge + delivery.

Rogers gets the delivery charges, while the broadcaster gets the subscription fees.

So HBO would need to charge less, which then impacts the quality of programming they can deliver.

It's not exactly like this, but the general model is broadcaster fee. +$1
Rogers charging less for delivery on an $18 channel, doesnt change the price in any way.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

I hit that wall when I realized just how little non sports programming I was watching and how I could (Legally) get the sports programming I wanted at a cost that was far less than Rogers (or any BDU) was able, or indeed willing, to sell me "just the sports that I want to watch"

So how do you legally get sports without a BDU?
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by wayner92:

said by NefCanuck:

So how do you legally get sports without a BDU?

For the sports I watch there is the following:

NFL Game Pass + NFL Mobile for the primetime games + OTA
NASCAR - Raceview
NHL - Game Centre Live

OTA

US College Football
English Premier League
NHL
NASCAR

So it it is quite possible, there are other services for other sports such as MLB.TV but I have no interest in baseball.

There are other sports I'd *like* to watch, but since they refuse to offer any option they lose me as a fan

See the CFL They thought the blackout policy in the 70's/80's was a good idea too.

NefCanuck
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

How much do you pay for the online services on an annual basis? And do you use services to get around the local blackouts on GCL?