Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir

Re: [Internet] Rogers IPV6 (6rd)

I keep asking Rogers when native is coming but no answers. Apparently it's in trial someplace but alas, little details are available. Comcast IPv6 native is about as fast as their IPv4 service so that's sort of the standard that has to be met.

Rogers could really take the lead on stuff like this... but hey.

That said, I found that Rogers IPv6 had some "dead spots". Routing to Amazon ELB load balancers for example was completely dead. HE.net could ping / route traffic but Rogers 6rd couldn't at all.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

:/// lets see what is going to happen with this in the end.

Hopefully, this issue will be addressed properly, i am really hoping for that.
damir

1 recommendation

damir

bump
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

1 recommendation

king_2015 to damir

to damir
would be nice if rogers deploys ipv6 soon All my equipment is ready. hurry up rogers!

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by king_2015:

would be nice if rogers deploys ipv6 soon All my equipment is ready. hurry up rogers!

It's been hurry up Rogers on this for a while.

Comcast has native dual stack in 100% of their DOCSIS 3.0 footprint and about 30% of their traffic is now IPv6.

Verizon Wireless is claiming over 50% of their traffic is now IPv6.

Rogers: 0%.

But, you know, Showmi is launching tomorrow so they've been pretty busy I guess. Sigh.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

Tonight, i got another router to test 6rd, it was latest Asus's RT-AC87U.

Tried both Merlin's and stock Asus's firmware, speeds were exactly the same.

I believe this error is caused by firmware on CGN3.
If Rogers is not shaping\blocking anything, i don't see what could be causing this then?

Hopefully we will hear soon from Rogers about this, but, even if this is confirmed (firmware issues) - i doubt there will be any solution to this, any time soon, as i don't think Rogers cares about ipv6 at this time.
king_2015
King City, ON

1 recommendation

king_2015

Ya, I have that router. It's nice I have to say it's expensive and i hear that asus is coming out with somthing faster.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

Its good quality router (no doubt ), first thing i noticed after setting it up - its running very hot (CPU was @ 75C - 85C all the time - no samba\dlna\high traffic activity), where my R7000 overclocked to 1400Mhz (stock @ 1000Mhz) is running at (currently): CPU 61.4 °C / WL0 45.08 °C / WL1 52.61 °C (this is under load at the moment, as i am doing some transfer over samba).

That router will be going to my brothers place, as i was only setting it up for him. (it doesn't do job for me at this time)

I have some stuff running on Netgear R7000 (DD-WRT) which took a lot of time to make work properly\setup it, and i really don't have time to go through all of that again with Merlin's firmware
damir

1 recommendation

damir to king_2015

to king_2015
said by king_2015:

i hear that asus is coming out with somthing faster.

AC3200 (i believe) - same wifi speeds \ system as Netgear R8000 (i think) - don't think there is any wifi card available in the market for this kind of wifi (not even for AC2400 (RT-AC87U) router).
king_2015
King City, ON

1 recommendation

king_2015

I was wondering why the thing is so hot? it is in a well vented area. Hopefully it does not melt on me anytime soon.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

It won't - don't worry about it these cpu chip's are designed for that kind of heat.

I am not exactly sure what the max temp is, to be honest with you, but, i am sure you can find the answer on google - if really interested.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir
said by damir:

Tonight, i got another router to test 6rd, it was latest Asus's RT-AC87U.

Tried both Merlin's and stock Asus's firmware, speeds were exactly the same.

I believe this error is caused by firmware on CGN3.
If Rogers is not shaping\blocking anything, i don't see what could be causing this then?

Hopefully we will hear soon from Rogers about this, but, even if this is confirmed (firmware issues) - i doubt there will be any solution to this, any time soon, as i don't think Rogers cares about ipv6 at this time.

Rogers isn't shaping. 6rd packets are just protocol 41 packets, the same as 6in4. The difference between standard 6in4 and 6rd is in the configuration.

Indeed, you can trick a non 6rd capable router that DOES support 6in4 (like the Airport Extreme) into working with 6rd by pre-calculating your prefix based on your IPv4 address and configuring the system manually.

You can also get pretty high performance 6in4 to, say, Hurricane Electric on Rorgers.

Ergo, Rogers isn't shaping protocol 41.

My guess is that the 6rd border gateways just don't have sufficient bandwidth.

I'd also guess the only time that IPv6 will work anywhere near the full performance of your connection is when Rogers (finally) gets around to rolling out native dual stack.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

As for your guess about not having enough bandwidth, i would understand that, if in different times of the day \ i was getting different results, but, it is always the same.

+ PPTP thing ("issue") i am seeing (same bandwidth\speeds results) making me wonder even more.
damir

1 recommendation

damir

I don't think we will hear about this any time soon, as Kiloohm was last time on the forum about 3 weeks ago.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by damir:

I don't think we will hear about this any time soon, as Kiloohm was last time on the forum about 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, noted.

Is a bummer - I wish some of Rogers people were as responsive as th TekSavvy folks in answering more advanced questions like these.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

Yes sir, its sad.
damir

1 recommendation

damir

For the record, i just went and purchased CGN3 modem (owned).

It came with older firmware, and still the same issues, so, its not the firmware then as well?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

That'll crash pretty quick in bridge mode (within 36 hours most likely) with the older firmware. The CGN3 is basically a boat anchor without 4.2.4.3.

The 6rd performance issue with Rogers was never a firmware / modem / throttling / client configuration issue. The problem is without question an issue with the 6rd border relay. Nothing you can do will fix the performance, unfortunately.

Like I said - I doubt we'll see good IPv6 performance on Rogers until we're getting native dual stack.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

I just spoke to guys @ technical support about firmware, it will be pushed within few days, they say.
If it crashes, just restart the modem?

As for ipv6 - blah !

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir
Not to mention, try pinging this IP on Rogers IPv6 (6rd): 2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81

I'm willing to bet it won't respond. It very much should and very much does on the IPv6 internet at large - it just never works on Rogers.

For example, from an HE.net connected machine in Virginia:

$ ping6 2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81
PING 2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81(2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=2.81 ms
64 bytes from 2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=2.50 ms
64 bytes from 2406:da00:ff00::36c5:ee81: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=2.63 ms

Rogers 6rd just seems to be much to broken / slow to bother with - and as you've noticed, the IPv6 people at Rogers, however briefly helpful, are more or less non-responsive about it.
SimplePanda

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir
said by damir:

I just spoke to guys @ technical support about firmware, it will be pushed within few days, they say.
If it crashes, just restart the modem?

As for ipv6 - blah !

Yep, just reboot it.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

btw, if its border relay, why cant we see better results over HE?
Exactly the same.

Why is PPTP giving the same performance?

I dont think its only border relay @ Rogers, really :///

JAMESMTL
Premium Member
join:2014-09-02

1 recommendation

JAMESMTL to damir

Premium Member

to damir
The border relay is the ipv6 tunnel server which I suspect is using an anycast address the same way comcast did. The reason I say this is because you can't set a point to point tunnel and get it to work properly.

From what I have read in this thread there just isn't enough information to determine if it is an issue with the BR, the CGN3's bridge mode, or a combination of both. It seems similar to an issue AT&T uverse users see with some of their modems in bridge mode. In their case the modem can establish the 6rd connection and push ipv6 to the user's router via dhcpv6-pd.

It would be interesting to get some performance numbers from someone who uses a simple cable modem such as a surfboard to see if they can get past that speed limitation, even if they can't get higher Mbps services with that type of equipment.

It's a shame Rogers 6rd implementation is affected by these issues because 6rd can produce excellent results. Videotron's implementation has minimal performance reductions with occasional improved ipv6 routing vs ipv4.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir
I've pulled close to 100Mbps on HE.net with Rogers. Performance always worked well for me. I don't have a link up right now but I was downloading on the work connection (Rogers 30/5) at basically 30Mbps yesterday using an HE.net tunnel.

Likewise I never had issues with PPTP - though honestly it's pretty deprecated and I haven't used it in years (everything was replaced with IPSec).

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

Which modem? 'there are other users running CGN3 and they were reporting the same results as me from HE.net as well.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

The one at work is a D3GN.

I just can't see anything running in bridge mode causing performance issues with protocol 41.

One sec, I'll run a test with a CGN3 (bridged)...

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

Thank you

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Give me a sec... my testing router has Shibby on it (which is basically broken for IPv6). Flashing Toastman.

damir
CANADA

1 recommendation

damir

Take your time - thanks ! as we get more info \ results here, its better (at least i think) - and hopefully somebody else (from Rogers) will look into this thread as well \ and maybe respond \ look into the issue.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir
Toronto HE.net server:
IPv4 71.41 / 9.81
IPv6 16.35 / 10.34

Tests through Ashburn he.net server not much better (around 20Mbps).

Both tests using Comcast speed test and Toastman (N66u) via a bridged CGN3.

I also couldn't get much more than 10Mbps from an HE.net connected server in Virginia.

So yep, there's an issue. Not convinced it's throttling / shaping though.

Would be nice for Rogers to weigh in but I suspect, having read back through this thread, that it went like this:

You: IPv6 is slow.
Guy from Rogers: I work on the IPv6 team, I will fix this!
Rogers: No you won't.
Guy from Rogers: *crickets*
Us: Wonder where that guy from Rogers got to?

Sad.