spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

I Hope Nuclear Option Isn't Necessary

Where are the moderate voices? Isn't there a solution that doesn't require a scorched Earth response? Is this just a scare tactic to determine if carriers can self-govern?
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

1 recommendation

desarollo

Isn't it clear they *can't*? You have story upon story of Comcast having billing issues, awful sales tactics, poor support and colluding not to compete with other carriers. Other carriers are actively searching for revenue enhancement such as deep packet inspection ad serving schemes, caps and selling click stream information.

What more do you need to know other than some regulations to put these jackasses back into their cages?

netflixer
@65.115.36.x

netflixer to rradina

Anon

to rradina
Yep. It's called business negotiation which seemed to have worked and Netflix continues to get lower and lower network prices every year.

Regulating the Internet like a utility is really scary. I can't wait for all the innovation and investment that will come just like the telephone, sewer pipe and roads.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

1 recommendation

firephoto

Premium Member

said by netflixer
Regulating the Internet like a utility is really scary. I can't wait for all the innovation and investment that will come just like the telephone, sewer pipe and roads.
[/bquote :

Network connectivity between Point A and all other existing known points. There's not a lot of innovation required there and the losers will be the ones that refuse to upgrade speeds and reliability on those connections. Also if innovation is so important in this sector why are the largest players spending time and money on hardware and software that purposely restricts innovation?

Unless of course you buy new shit because it's Yesterdays-PLUS-ExtReMe! now and obviously better than Actually-this-many-bits-measured-accurately.

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall to netflixer

Anon

to netflixer
At least you can drive on the road, use the phone, and flush your toilet. Those things are necessities, just like the internet is now today. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago it was new and a requirement, now it's so common that business is done on it routinely, and it should be regulated to protect that economy, it can't be left for the industry to self regulate; Wall Street has proven what happens when you stick your head up your butt and ignore the obvious.

How's your internet been lately? Any outages, any slow speeds, any problems at all, or is it all roses and white lace in your neck of the woods?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by Flyonthewall :

How's your internet been lately? Any outages, any slow speeds, any problems at all, or is it all roses and white lace in your neck of the woods?

Depends heavily where I am. If I am at home, I say yes it is, thank you very much. It is probably because I have Cox, which is more of a regional provider, who gives me good speed, reliability, and price. Where I am spending vacation which put me back on TWC, not so much for speed and price though I cannot complain about the reliability which has been very good. But for my friends and family close by stuck with Verizon and /Verizon, they have been going through a lot of the hell I did with only 3 mbit available which does not often reach 3 mbit and horrible reliability. Probably those trash bags they patch their copper network with are leaking

But that is in fact, the problem. Good access depends heavily on where you are and is by no means ubiquitous in this digital age.