Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Looking for a car

said by elwoodblues:

I can only speak from Experience DJ, basically Mini vans (Caravan T&C) and Journey's that are only FWD do this, if I take out an AWD Journey I don't experience the same issue.

Mrs. Weather's Grand Caravan does it too. The quality of tires also plays a role in tire slippage. OE tires are basically crap, designed to perform to the auto manufacturer's spec at the cheapest price possible.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Not even the slippage, but the grabbiness of it that drives me nuts

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to d4m1r

Premium Member

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Audi and thank me later

Can't go wrong with European luxury cars.

Except for the $150 oil changes.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Im not too interested in small compact cars, im looking for mid-size and up (maxima, charger, fusion/taurus, etc.) I don't like the idea of being crammed into a death trap. And like I said gas mileage isn't my primary concern as I put up with 15 mpg, and I may very well just keep the damn truck because ive turned too many wrenches on it making it my own to sell it, but I am starting to think about it. Ive just turned 130,000 kms on it (bought it with 80,000 kms) and my thoughts are with resale value depreciating significantly after about 150,000 kms on trucks.

Best value in the market you're describing would be a V6 Hyundai Genesis, either RWD or AWD. Nice size, great luxury and costs absolutely nothing to maintain. Reliability and owner satisfaction is through the roof.

There isn't a single european car that even comes close.

There's very good incentives on 2014 models now as well since the 2015 is a completely new car (but RWD only for 2014).

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

said by d4m1r:

Audi and thank me later

$150???....maybe things in Alberta are pricey. On my VW Jetta its $90. I go twice a year. Believe it or not its actually cheaper for me to go to the dealership to get the oil changed vs say a "quickie lube" place. Which I never thought possible.

Anywho, I'd say go with the European Luxury Car...I'm living the dream on the low end scale and haven't had any issues with the car, picked it up as 4yrs old with about 70,000km on it, have put 50,000km on it since, and only had to do the front brakes at this point.

I dread the timing belt, but hey, what can you do....I'll have to get it done this year sometime, but definitely worth the investment vs a domestic.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to joeblow3

to joeblow3
»www.motortrend.com/used_ ··· recalls/

I like BMW's but some of their recalls over the years have been pretty scary. The one's listed above are for current models

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by Laidback:

»www.motortrend.com/used_ ··· recalls/

I like BMW's but some of their recalls over the years have been pretty scary. The one's listed above are for current models

I will never ever buy another BMW. I paid $45,000 for the car (cash) and kept it for 6 years (150,000 km). Warranty expired after 3 years (60,000km) and I spent another almost $40,000 on it in repairs between years 4, 5, and 6. The dealership did nothing to make me feel better about every single component in the car breaking once it was out of warranty. After year 6 I kept it 2 more years but didn't put another penny into it - just drove it until I could buy another car and sold it for $1500 to a junk collector with about 170,000km on it.

If you really want the list of every single thing that went on it - I could give it to you - but it would be easier to say the only thing that DIDN'T break was the driver's seat and the trunk lid.... oh wait.. the BMW insignia fell off the trunk lid and I had to buy a new one for $100... so back to just the driver's seat.

On the other hand my Sorento that I gave to wifey has well over 200,000 km on it and it's still on its original brake pads and rotors, original windshield wipers, original factory lightbulbs all around, and has never had any mechanical work done other than oil and oil filter changes every 10,000km, a transmission fluid change at 150,000 km, new air filters every 50,000 km, and new tires every 80,000km. All that for a vehicle that was $15k less out the door and got me where I was going in winter snow and ice much safer and more comfortably.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

I've owned several BMWs. In my experience they're generally problem free until you start getting above 90000km, and yes the repairs are very expensive compared to other non premium brands.

Although if you have the money and don't mind being gouged with options that typically come standard on a $13k car there isn't another brand that has such a wonderful balance of luxury, performance and handling IMO.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
yea, my Rio5 has been trouble free too (2.5 years now)...just regular maintenance, which is also a bargain since the dealership i got it from gave me lifetime free oil changes (they call it Package #1)...so basically, every other service appointment is free, and the other ones (Package #2 and Package #3) are discounted by $40 (the price of Package #1).
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

mr weather to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

On my VW Jetta its $90. I go twice a year. Believe it or not its actually cheaper for me to go to the dealership to get the oil changed vs say a "quickie lube" place. Which I never thought possible.

I wouldn't call a VW Jetta a "European luxury car".

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
Do you owe on the truck, or is it paid for?

Do you have cash for the new wheels; or will it be financed?

What's the driver for getting out of the truck, and into something smaller? You said it's not mileage...

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Not all Audi's and MB's are full time AWD. Certain models have slip and grip systems. Models like the Audi A3 and Audi TT as well as the Mercedes CLA class are slip and grip systems. These models with slip and grip system still adopt the Quattro and 4Matic badges.

yea, i believe some of the entry model ones are like that.

that's one nice thing about Subaru vehicles though...aside from the BRZ, all their vehicles are AWD all the time...since you have similar power to each axle, you are less likely to lose traction as well...as elwood was mentioning about tire slippage, that is likely caused by about 80% of the engine's power going to one wheel (as those vehicles certainly don't have a limited slip differential)...so, if that V6 in the Chrysler has 283 HP, about 225 of it goes to the inside wheel...of course, modern vehicles have traction and stability control, but that simply means it is likely to be more intrusive than on a vehicle that splits the power up among the wheels better (like a Subaru).

while the OP isn't looking new, the 2015 Legacy has been redesigned and even in base trim comes with everything most people want - AC, heated seats, decent power and is available with a manual transmission or CVT (auto)...it's also pretty decent on gas and Subaru vehicles are the king of resale value.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

said by d4m1r:

Audi and thank me later

We never said they are cheap. But they are much better built than cheap Asian imports and are more reliable.

Love passing all the Honda/Hyundai/genericcarnamehere in the winter under crazy whiteout conditions. Quattro FTW!
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Do you owe on the truck, or is it paid for?

Do you have cash for the new wheels; or will it be financed?

What's the driver for getting out of the truck, and into something smaller? You said it's not mileage...

I own it out right and id be able to put up about $20k cash (counting the sale of the truck).

And reasons for selling? Other than protecting resale value (130k kms on it now), im sick of people asking me to move their shit or pick up mattresses or appliances lol

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

said by nitzguy:

On my VW Jetta its $90. I go twice a year. Believe it or not its actually cheaper for me to go to the dealership to get the oil changed vs say a "quickie lube" place. Which I never thought possible.

I wouldn't call a VW Jetta a "European luxury car".

Hey I run Synthetic so the price shouldn't be much different for any other VW automobile. Its luxury enough!

The Jetta is a very nice car. Sure its not a Range Rover or a BMW 7 series or the SLK 300 or whatever Mercedes is offering, but they're not your mom's and dad's jetta's anymore.
nitzguy

nitzguy to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
@btech805: Get a Subaru then if you want a nice car/small suv.

Its very nice...I know many people who have one and love it.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
Given that you own it outright; I'd be tempted to drive it until the wheels fell off... But that's me. And I'm not afraid to say 'no' to being a moving service.

20k can go a long way; but without knowing what year your truck is, mileage isn't the only factor in value... Hard to judge what's fair.

Hard to beat VW - I'm a Ford guy, but rest of my family drives VW - jetta's mostly... Seems like a lot of car for the money, and last forever.
elgoog
join:2014-09-09
Kitchener, ON

elgoog to btech805

to btech805
If you are looking to buy a 2 or 3 year old SUV I would still recommend the Rav4, CRV or the Forester. All three have decent reliability; and from personal experience the Forester can handle well in the winter.

For a 2 or 3 year old Car, Mazda 3, Focus, Elantra, Matrix; I know you said you don't want a small death box; but they all perform well these days (I still wouldn't recommend something like a smartcar though).

Bigger cars; The genesis, Passat, fusion... again depends on your price point.

As others have said; you might look to see if just using your truck is worth it. The amount the truck will drop from 120,000km to 150,000km most likely won't be that much.

After all; the car you replace it will drop as well as you add the KM on it.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

im sick of people asking me to move their shit

Truth!

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to btech805

to btech805
Ford flex is good for a non-minivan with tons of space, or it's predecessor the taurus x.

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by GreenEnvy22:

Ford flex is good for a non-minivan with tons of space, or it's predecessor the taurus x.

Ugh, -1 for Ford Flex, its a GIANT Box on Wheels with no imagination or styling.

I had a Taurus X or Freestyle...I fear those vehicles on the road, I had so many issues with mine.....I don't even want to start.

But, if you're looking at non european import, Mazda 6 is pretty sporty and stylish, Zoom Zoom. Accord perhaps if you want something bigger.

I see Jetta's still go for a lot of money and being 10+ years old and they're in good shape, so I'm hopeful that mine will last me another 10 years.

But maybe a Passat, but you have a lot of options.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to LazMan

to LazMan
It's a 2008 dodge ram, they're going on kijiji for $10-15k around that mileage and condition and im hoping to be right in the middle of that.

I do like the genesis and have quite a few friends with them with no issues what so ever (and me still being a young fella in my early 20s, it isn't "plain")
The passat again very nice and very good mileage.

These are all great suggestions folks! Like I said ive got a few months before I make a decision, and I may just keep the damned truck and remain an unoffical mover ever week because I love the thing too much!

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
That's funny. We LOVE our Taurus X.

Roomy, good mileage, plenty of bells and whistles.
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Ugh, -1 for Ford Flex, its a GIANT Box on Wheels with no imagination or styling.

I agree the styling takes some getting used to but get one with the Ecoboost V6 and AWD and it's a beast! My buddy is looking for a gently used one to replace his current work vehicle (an eight year-old Honda Ridgeline with 300k on the clock).

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to d4m1r

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Audi and thank me later

Pretty much the only thing you can go wrong with are European luxury cars.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
It's a big heavy station wagon.

To put this into perspective, (and it's US sales) , the Ford Exploder outsells the Flex by a ratio of 10-1. The Escape outsells them both
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Ford Exploder

Is that a comment on gas tank?

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

there was really nothing wrong with Explorers...it was driver error catapulted by media hype.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I didn't know if it was a popular phrase or a typo....

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

it is a popular phrase.

i believe it dates back to the Firestone tire incident from the mid to late 90s.