MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Firmware] SB6141 Download Speed Issue

said by Mike Wolf:

I think it goes without saying but for those who may come across this, make sure you are using a gigabit router if you subscribe to an internet speed that is faster then 100Mbps otherwise you'll have limitations and be wasting your money.

Yes, if you're using a wired connection, make sure your PC is equipped with a Gigabit (10/100/1000) NIC.

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

1 edit

mb6 to clabern

to clabern
Rebooted the modem here and got the SW update. Everything seems normal here including speed test results. Config file was: d11_sb6141_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

edit: corrected typo in config file description

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Yes very good point!!
Utensil
join:2010-09-15

Utensil to clabern

to clabern
Got the updated firmware on my SB6121. Performance still in the can. Was 20Mbit/down a few hours ago and now 5Mbit/down. Before a couple weeks ago I got 105 all day every day.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

For those that got this firmware as a beta the speed bump has now ended and you will be back to your subscribed tier, so please don't confuse that with a possible issue with the firmware upgrade.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by Jim721:

For those that got this firmware as a beta the speed bump has now ended and you will be back to your subscribed tier, so please don't confuse that with a possible issue with the firmware upgrade.

i noticed this as well, my normal ~115 down jumped to ~126 with the test firmware.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Yes sir! But I was pointing out that his config file name widebandshowcaseblast_c01.cm is so different from mine speedtierextreme2_c01.cm, which was why I thought the poster might have been on the Extreme 150 package, though it could be because of the modem being different, but with both modems being in the same code string thingy I don't think it's the cause.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to clabern

Premium Member

to clabern
SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6141_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-SH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0

Speeds are about the same - 26/4 (oh, Aptos, when will you offer 50/10??? WHEN??) but I was not having problems before, either. Did a manual reboot of modem to force the update.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Coelispex

to Coelispex
So you're on Blast Plus which is the reason for the different config file name?

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Thank you sir for pointing this out .. yes it is correct..
NetDog

2 recommendations

NetDog to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

i noticed this as well, my normal ~115 down jumped to ~126 with the test firmware.

You do know it wasn't the firmware but the test bootfile..

Here is how it goes the normal Class-of-Service (CoS) bootfiles have a upgrade statement in them.. We need to change your CoS to a test CoS that doesn't have a upgrade statement.. If we didn't code would just go back to the code in production.. Bad..

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

$ ./prober 
DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.98.51.25.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4973 Kbps.
Downstream: 177481 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 3.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 4853 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 27104 Kbps.

That little speed bump that showed up a few months ago seems to be gone as well (I was seeing 30mbit down after the mini-bump on Blast! in non-upgraded to 50mbit Aptos) - or it went away some other time since then.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to NetDog

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

You do know it wasn't the firmware but the test bootfile..

i've just always used the terms interchagably, sorry.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

So you're on Blast Plus which is the reason for the different config file name?

Technically on Extreme 105.

See »Re: [Speed] Extreme 105 upload correctly provisioned ?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Oh cool. Enjoy
campyguy
join:2014-09-08
portlandia

campyguy to clabern

to clabern
My modem rebooted late last night, had no internet service (Business Class) for about 13 hours, now my service is in the tank. I PMed with netcool but there was no change after he tried helping. Customer service was of no help, and of course there's "no problem" that they can see, but for $99 they can send a tech out.

Funny (not) that 3 of my neighbors with the same modem but on residential in my complex all had their service tank overnight too.
System

to clabern

Anon

to clabern

(topic move) [Firmware] SB6141 Download Speed Issue

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Connectivity] WiFi on a plane?
n0n0badcat
join:2014-10-20
Cherry Hill, NJ

n0n0badcat to clabern

to clabern

Re: [Firmware] SB6141 Download Speed Issue

Hi, I just registered because I too am having problems with my SB6141 modem, I'm not sure my firmware is updating, and I'd PM netcool but being new, I can't. I just bought this modem less than a week ago and registered it with Comcast, it worked great the first nght but since then it's had a lot of download speed issues, power cycling it seems to help but only for a few hours.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-SH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Firmware Build Time: Mar 6 2014 14:55:01

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by n0n0badcat:

Hi, I just registered because I too am having problems with my SB6141 modem, I'm not sure my firmware is updating, and I'd PM netcool but being new, I can't. I just bought this modem less than a week ago and registered it with Comcast, it worked great the first nght but since then it's had a lot of download speed issues, power cycling it seems to help but only for a few hours.

Well, your modem does have the latest version 1.0.6.14 firmware, so the problem could be with your signals.

Can you provide us a screenshot of your modem's signal levels/SNRs and log file screens?
n0n0badcat
Cherry Hill, NJ

1 edit

n0n0badcat

Click for full size
Click for full size
Sure:

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

I don't know if it's just me, but can you provide those screenshots in a larger/higher-resolution version? I can't make them out.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

It isn't just you. Both original and constrained views are unreadable.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I can see them. The stats are fine.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

said by EG:

I can see them. That stats are fine.

I can see them after he uploaded the new versions, too.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

Oh, I see. LOLLL !!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to EG

MVM

to EG
said by EG:

Well, there are some T3 timeouts and ranging failure messages in the log, though.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by EG:

Well, there are some T3 timeouts and ranging failure messages in the log, though.

Yeah, and as you know, that could be upstream (uSNR) / return path issues. And as you also know, this can't be read at the modem.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to n0n0badcat

MVM

to n0n0badcat
said by EG:

said by telcodad:

said by EG:

Yeah, and as you know, that could be upstream (uSNR) / return path issues. And as you also know, this can't be read at the modem.

OK, so once your initial 8 hours are up tonight, you can try IMing netcool See Profile tonight with your modem's CM-MAC address and have him take a look and see if he can help you.
n0n0badcat
Cherry Hill, NJ

n0n0badcat

Thank you all! I'll try IMing netcool later and seeing what, if anything can be done.
ExelonB17
join:2014-07-10

ExelonB17 to clabern

to clabern
Hmm, interesting. My speed are in the tank again, too.

netcool pushed the test firmware for the SB6141 a few weeks ago for me. He did mention that my speeds would be extremely high, but would go down after the test period.

However, I am provisioned for Blast which should be 105 Mbps in my area. Ever since the modem download a new file on October 16th, I am getting 20 Mbps and barely hitting 1 Mbps upload.

So frustrating... :\