All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

[WIN7] Default network name for LAN?

What's the default network name for Windows 7 when it is first setup during install?
I changed it now to some odd name and now I want to change it back to the Windows default.
Is it just Network if I recall correctly??
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

workgroup
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

Hi, I meant here. See image shot. Was this called Network during the first install of Win7?
Cannot remember. Maybe it was Network.
Please confirm.

Thx

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to avze

MVM

to avze
categories:computer
workgroup:WORKGROUP
network location: (your wireless if you have a modem)

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to avze

Premium Member

to avze
I believe this is what the OP is asking. Assuming that you have the default view in Control Panel (category view), when you open it up, and then click on Network and Internet, and then Network and Sharing Center, you see a screen similar to this.

If you then click on "Change adapter settings" (outlined in the red box in the picture), you get to this screen.

Here it will list all your network types (Wired and Wireless), and you have the option to rename them as you like (Home network, Work WiFi, etc). You do that by right-clicking on the icon and selecting rename from the drop down menu.

I've not renamed anything, and my connection is wired, so what is shown as the name (in my case Ethernet), is what it is called by default for Windows 8.1.

As far as I remember, the same is true for Windows 7 as well. However, I don't have access to a Windows 7 system right now, so if someone else could check and verify this, that would be great, and help fully answer the OP's question.

--Brian
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to avze

Premium Member

to avze
Default is Network. Depending on hardware, Win7 will increment this if it detects a change, or more than one network. ie Network 1, Network 2, Network 3 and so on. You can rename easily by clicking on the Icon to the left of Network name/type.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to avze

Premium Member

to avze
On my Windows 7 laptop the Ethernet connection is named "Local Area Connection" and the wireless connection is named "Wireless Network Connection."

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to avze

Premium Member

to avze

It varies on the computer, hardware and it's drivers.
I think Windows default is Network.
Be it wireless or wired.
LAN, Ethernet, Wireless, Network, 1, 2, 3, 4, becomes a chipset name and how Windows and the drivers interpretations result in the user GUI.

It is actually tcp/ip stack, winsock; well lets not get too far into it yet.

So what is the actual question, you seem to be beating the bush?