spc
Search similar:

uniqs
txr13
join:2010-03-17
Surrey, BC

txr13

[DSL] Suggestions for DSL modem

So, I'm going to be moving soon. Right now, I'm on TekSavvy Cable; when I move, I'm thinking of changing to TekSavvy DSL (mostly for the higher available upload speed in my area of BC).

I am a networking technician, so I have a Cisco 2621 doing my routing, with other switching and wireless behind it. I don't really want a "network gateway" doing my NAT and wireless in the same box as the modem, because I have other equipment to do that.

With that in mind, does anybody have recommendations on which hardware to use for TekSavvy DSL? I'd even take a "gateway" box, so long as it can be set to a bridged mode that disables all wireless and NAT functionality. (I used to be on TS DSL earlier before switching to cable, so I know the 2621 can do PPPoE auth to TS just fine.)

Thanks!
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

1 edit

DigitalRain

Since you're talking about high upload in Telus land, I assume that you'll be getting some sort of VDSL service, for which any VDSL2 compatible modem should be acceptable. I'd say get the smartrg from TekSavvy and ask them to pre-configure it in bridge for you. Other people with more experience with VDSL may provide you with other recommendations, in which case just get the cheapest thing that you can bridge so long as it has a good reputation.

If it turns out that I'm wrong and it's ADSL, the Dlink dsl 520b is reliable one port modem that plays beautifully with most COs and remotes thanks to its trusty broadcom chipset.

danf
join:2005-11-10
Abbotsford, BC

danf to txr13

to txr13
I've been on tDSL for a while now using the Zyxel modem.

It is not locked down in any way, I went into the modem settings and set it to bridge-only mode.

I don't believe Telus uses the smartrg, it's either actiontec or the zyxel.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain

said by danf:

I've been on tDSL for a while now using the Zyxel modem.

It is not locked down in any way, I went into the modem settings and set it to bridge-only mode.

I don't believe Telus uses the smartrg, it's either actiontec or the zyxel.

Telus does indeed use those modems (though I believe their variants are locked to Telus), but Telus' equipment should sync with any standard VDSL2 hardware.