Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo

Re: Apple Watch survey

As Apple considers itself as a high-end electronics manufacturer, their going to find out that watches are considered jewelry and that they are going to get too far out of their field of expertise. In order for the Apple watch to really sell, they need to get together with top-end watch companies like Rolex, Cartier, etc and have them build a watch around Apple technology.

THEN it will be the ultimate of Apple "bling" and be the "gotta have" item.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to Majestik

Premium Member

to Majestik
said by Majestik:

Stopped wearing watches when phone started showing time.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

What's the story with the display? Does it sleep? What causes it to wake?
Part of the allure of a watch is the face is visible and has an aesthetic value. If it's sleeping, it's going to look pretty weird, not?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

What's the story with the display? Does it sleep? What causes it to wake?
Part of the allure of a watch is the face is visible and has an aesthetic value. If it's sleeping, it's going to look pretty weird, not?

Typically these watches either turn off the display or go into a low power mode with a very basic time display until the user raises their arm and turns their wrist. I'd be shocked given the "1 day battery life" if the apple watch did anything different.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Majestik:

Stopped wearing watches when phone started showing time.

I'd rather wear a 6mm thick, 2.8 ounce, jewelry like watch on my wrist than carry around a giant phone in my pocket (and/or a giant growth like techno-nerd watch on my wrist).

I agree with astyanax. Apple needs to get with genuine watchmakers. Apple may be enamored with their own designs, but they have nothing on real watchmakers.

Regular watches still rule.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to tommy3rd

to tommy3rd
said by tommy3rd:

One reason I'm interested in the upcoming samsung gear S is because it's not tethered to the phone.

Offloading resource demands to the phone is the best thing about it.
Expand your moderator at work

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo

I want a stand alone smartwatch to replace my Casio Data Bank 150 watch. I don't want it to rely on a mobile phone.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Most of what people want a watch for needs a phone. Notifications, calls, and more.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by WK2:

Most of what people want a watch for needs a phone. Notifications, calls, and more.

Sure, put them in the smartwatch. :P

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to WK2

MVM

to WK2
said by WK2:

Really? Put phone guts in the watch then.

Being tied to another device is a bit absurd.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

quote:
Don't Underestimate Smartwatches

It's important to understand that like the iPhone before it, the Apple AAPL +0.23% Watch isn't at all what its name would imply. Let's call it what it is: a wrist-top computer.

Just as smartphones have become supercomputers in our pockets, the Apple Watch and its many competitors, including Android-powered devices from Motorola MSI +0.52% and Samsung Electronics, are poised to become something more. And it is their central place in a larger ecosystem of apps and hardware, rather than any one thing that has been shown off recently, that will make them indispensable.

"There's so much [the Apple Watch] can do that we haven't really even talked about," Tim Cook told USA Today on the day of the announcement....

»online.wsj.com/articles/ ··· 10725878

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by WK2:

Really? Put phone guts in the watch then.

Being tied to another device is a bit absurd.

That's just from some people I talked to. Each person will want slightly different things.
Expand your moderator at work

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine

Offloading resource demands to the phone is the best thing about it.

If the watch lasted a month or two between charges, yes. If it can't last more than a day, then it has lost the allure of offloading. Working in conjunction with is fine, but requiring an iPhone seems odd.

I like the idea of using the watch as a fitness accessory, but it needs to be much, much cheaper (sub $100).

My overall feeling is that this is much like Apple's Newton. There's some potential there, but it's not right yet and needs a lot of refinement. Seems like technology in general needs to improve a bit before it's really viable.

For example, if voice control truly worked well, the watch might be more interesting as voice input gets around the small device input problem. As it sits, Siri is still super limited. She misunderstands a lot of what I dictate, or ask her to do, and it takes way too long for her to think about the request. And, there's no app integration. Someone above mentioned using the Pebble watch to control a Nest thermostat. I should be able to lift the watch and say "Adjust my Nest to 76 degrees". No delay, no waiting for a beep, and I should be able to do it in a moderately noisy environment as if I were speaking to a person.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

a month between charges and sub $100 - get realistic and we can talk

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

While sub $100 would be nice, it's unrealistic.

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Chicago, IL

Stefania to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I'm sure I will because I'm a sucker for Apple and pretty much buy whatever bullshit they come out with. Reference to an Onion article.

On a serious note, I wear a Pebble and this isn't that much more expensive and looks a lot nicer with much more functionality. Count me in.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
If they can ever get the battery life measured in weeks, then I might think of wearing a smart watch. Until then, wearing another device to be charged daily w/ no added benefit seems kinda silly.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

w/ no added benefit seems kinda silly.

Depends on how you define "added benefit" - since the Apple Watch doesn't actually exist yet, it's hard to tell for sure, but based on using an Android Live watch I can say that the benefits are there for me just as an ambient notification system, and the occasional voice based messaging and command system. I've been charging and wearing it daily for three months. And I was not a watch wearer.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Depends on how you define "added benefit"

Adds features that the smartphone I'm lugging around doesn't already do. Most attempt to add convenience, but nothing functionally different from a smart phone.
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

I'm sticking with my GShock No thanks

Same old game with MS Windows 8.....
They made it look an app-like environment both a desktop like OS and an app-like OS.
Its not suited for both.

Same deal goes with these watches....A watch is meant to be just a watch, NOT BOTH. Not for games, apps, or any of that voice features....Just for time and date. Period.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yeah, and a phone is meant to be just a phone, not for games, not for apps, yadda yadda yadda... and no one will ever own a home computer either...

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to avze

Premium Member

to avze
said by avze:

Same deal goes with these watches....A watch is meant to be just a watch, NOT BOTH. Not for games, apps, or any of that voice features....Just for time and date. Period.

Eh, it's more like a smart watch needs to surpass a "dumb" watch in order to replace it. While both can tell time, smart watches still have a ways to go in order to compete anywhere near in terms of battery life.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

If they can ever get the battery life measured in weeks, then I might think of wearing a smart watch. Until then, wearing another device to be charged daily w/ no added benefit seems kinda silly.

Yeah plugging it in every night sounds like a real hardship. lol

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

For a luxury good? It sure is. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred to add to my daily inconveniences.

Again, to replace a product (dumb watch), you have to be able to do what it does and exceed it. Why would I bother with +1 charging obligation when the phone I require daily does the same?