Premium Member
join:2004-07-29
Las Cruces, NM
Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco Meraki MX64

IT Guy

Premium Member

[Help] Web-embedded PDF's Don't Print

Adobe PDF files that open within a browser, doesn't seem to matter which browser is used, act as if they print to our network printers, but never print! I've had this issue for years with the users I support. While it doesn't occur with all PDF's it happens very frequently, the Web site source doesn't seem to matter, nor does the model of printer selected or the driver language used.

The only way to get around the problem is to save a local copy to the computer and open it straight from Acrobat Reader instead of using the browser plugin. If I continue having problems with the output, changing the option to "Print As Image" always works. I also seem to experience problems where the Web embedded PDF's that DO print, often print solid black and look like a sheet of carbon paper. Print as image option solves this.

I wish I could say my solution is to always have them save the copy locally, foregoing the browser option, but the users complain incessantly about having to deal with those extra steps involved with saving the pdf, locating the pdf and opening the pdf. It's driving me nuts and I was hoping someone might have a solution that would remedy the problem once and, hopefully, for all.

The OS's used range from Windows XP to Windows 8.1, browsers ranging from IE 9 through 11, Firefox, Chrome. I try making sure all components involved are updated, but with as many users as I support and the fact they are usually in a rush against the clock when these problems happen, I can't always spend the amount of time necessary to make sure everything is as current as it can be.

The printers are network based, everything from Lexmark to HP LaserJet Pro's. I've opted for PCL5 universal drivers, as suggested by the manufacturer. I have also drive XL drivers, but this seems to be a problem solely related to the plugin itself and not so much the printers.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

Current Adobe Reader require that you "trust" the hosting domain in order to even print (to bring up the print dialog).

There were bugs in Reader that if you closed Reader too "quickly" after telling a PDF to print, output could be scrambled. I'll assume that is now corrected in current Reader as I haven't run across it in a while.

Otherwise can't say I've run into problems printing embedded PDF's to networked (or shared) printers.

What version of Reader are you running?
Is that also what is shown (in FF) in about:plugins?

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
Las Cruces, NM
Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco Meraki MX64

IT Guy

Premium Member

I've run into issues with gibberish output in the past too, but it was related to which printer language the drivers were set to, largely. These printers are hardwired via ethernet with reservations for their IP set on the DHCP server, they aren't tied into a print server. As far as the plugin versions are concerned, I support a lot of users (around 80) who are all independent contractors with computers they purchased which run the gambit of age, versions of OS, browser versions/types and varying states of how current their plugins and other software are, so I can't be specific about which versions each are running.

When time allows, I do update their plugins as needed and as time allows, but this still hasn't solved the route of the issue. For me, the solution is simple and not very difficult or annoying. Saving and printing directly from the Acrobat program is not a big deal to me. But for a lot of the people in the office, it's absolutely unacceptable for them to have to go through the extra steps.

Some are just lazy, others are complete technophobes who don't understand the procedure no matter how hard I try to educate them. At this point it's more of an annoyance to me than anything and eats up time that could otherwise be spent dealing with bigger issues in the office. It would just be nice to know if someone out there has experienced the same thing and if so, whether there is a solution for it.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

You could have the pdf's opened in reader instead of a browser.

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
Las Cruces, NM
Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco Meraki MX64

IT Guy

Premium Member

Unfortunately, the Web site depends on the plugin in order to do fillable forms for real estate contracts. If I remember correctly, having the default action set to open with Reader instead of using the plugin locks down the document against making edits and would also complicate the internal process used by the Web site for saving and auto saving the documents to the Website's storage, so I don't believe that will work in this case. But I may confirm this with the company we use.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to IT Guy

Premium Member

to IT Guy
You left out the specific printer in question.
said by IT Guy:

Chrome.

Using the internal PDF handler or Adobe Reader? Which version of Reader?
said by IT Guy:

I've opted for PCL5 universal drivers, as suggested by the manufacturer.

What about non-universal drivers? I avoid them like the plague, especially HP ones.

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
Las Cruces, NM
Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco Meraki MX64

IT Guy

Premium Member

The printers in question are:

Lexmark e360dn, Lexmark MS410dn and HP LaserJet Pro M410dne. All printers exhibit this problem, but not all embedded PDF's misbehave, but still enough to be disruptive.

The company in question suggests using Chrome for best compatibility and is set to use the default handler, which I believe is Chrome's built-in handler. However the latest instance I had problems with was a Windows 8 64 bit laptop and Firefox. The forms provider advised against switching to Adobe's handler in Chrome due to other compatibility problems within their platform. Regrettably, we are not able to change to another provider for our forms, because it is a part of our state's association of REALTORS.

I had been using the non-universal drivers in the beginning, the only reason I switched was because the manufacturers' support encouraged me to do so when I contacted them about this problem in the beginning (both HP and Lexmark) I realize this is probably the standard response for first tier tech. support, though.
asterger
join:2004-11-26
Raleigh, NC

asterger to IT Guy

to IT Guy
Printing a web page "to Acrobat" in IE11 via Acrobat plug-in would freeze the browser. Had to kill "Not Responding" IE11 tabs in Task Manager. This is using the current full Adobe Acrobat X1 Standard v11.0.08.

My workaround, Disable UAC. This allows me to print 'to Acrobat" PDFs from anything. The cost, with UAC disabled the second and subsequent browser tabs run 32-bit. But as a consultant the ability to print web pages to PDF is important.

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
Las Cruces, NM
Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco Meraki MX64

IT Guy

Premium Member

Yeah, that's not the issue I'm having though. The page already displays the PDF. I'm not trying to convert the page to PDF. I'm trying to print the PDF which is embedded (almost presents itself as a popup, but not quite) to a physical printer, but the printer doesn't output. No error presented on either the PC nor the printer, the job even leaves the queue.