uniqs
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

Backup/secondary route

I'm looking into the possibility of using a point to point connection between two offices, each of which has its own Internet connection to create a backup Internet connection. i.e., if the ISP at Location A has an outage, traffic is automatically redirected over the point to point connection to Location B and out that Internet connection. And inbound traffic (primarily email) will also route in this manner. The reverse would be true if the Internet connection at Location B goes down (Internet traffic is routed over the point to point connection, out to the Internet, and back in).

I'm trying to wrap my head around how I can manage this on USG routers. Ideas?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

What's the point-to-point connection?

...in any case, policy routes and proper metrics or OSPF will be the answer. Depends on topology and technologies used.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

said by Brano:

What's the point-to-point connection?

I'm still looking into options. CenturyLink just offered me a 1.5 megabit connection. They got very huffy when I pointed out that this doesn't even meet the FCC's meager definition of "broadband".

But ideally it would be something 10+ megabit with a separate interface device (i.e. not connected to WAN2 on the USG).

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

There's no problem to have it on WAN2 as long as it's really a separate point-to-point (private) connection.

Alternatively you could achieve similar end result with two various ISPs (one cable one DSL for example). Then you'd do two VPNs between the sites.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
I thought point to point meant a dedicated telco line with two modems at either end plugging into WAN ports of routers.....?????

Do you mean I can take two separate ISPs......... one at connection A and one at connection B, and via the routers provide ISP backup for the other

in other words thru this OSPF magic and policy routers??

This would be akin to HA, high availablity I suppose but separated by some distance vice colocation.