uniqs

FrankCanton
join:2010-11-17
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

[Need Info] Switching from Dialup to DSL Newbie

Hello dslreports forum.

I Need to get residential DSL.

I am completely in the dark about (PC) DSL (beyond knowing I have to have a network card and a Modem). My dialup ISP (localnet.com) does not provide DSL to my location. I am in Brooklyn, NY.

I am a bit overwhelmed but I am a diligent student/forum interacter. Can anyone set me on the first step??
Thank you in advance!

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Hi Frank,

what are you using the service for? Sounds like you just browse email and web?

FrankCanton
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

Hi Phoenix and thanks for the reply.

Right there is a question that has me thinking. Yes, browsing and email, but now I need to be able to see YouTube/streaming video, and overall have a faster experience. I also would like to transfer my land line number to something like Basictalk/Magicjack etc.

Perhaps there's a DSL for dummies kind of resource on this site or via recommendation?

Frankly (no pun) I feel this forum is a better place to start since I believe it has a more knowledgeable, trustworthy and unbiased user base and I'd be able to share my (eventual) discoveries with others. (I always had a preference for the forum system).

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to FrankCanton

to FrankCanton
There's not much to it. Just call up your telco and see if it's available. (Being in NYC, my guess is you have Verizon?) If it's not available, check the cable company. Even the smallest package would be fine for what you want to do.

FrankCanton
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

Thanks pjsutton,
I did a little reading on these pages and see that Verizon is less than desirable. I used the wizard on this site and saw two companies: CYBERONIC INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS and INTERLYNC INTERNET which look inviting but before going further I really want to understand what the technology is about more and what the acronyms mean.

I'm skittish with telecom company sales people (though I get along fine with techs). Just want to take a crash course so I can save everyone time when I start the process.
And cable is what I want to avoid for my own reasons (I do not have any outlying $ or legal issues with them BTW)

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to FrankCanton

to FrankCanton
Just go to Verizon.com, put in your address, and see if it's available.

Any other DSL company that services your area runs on DSL, they just lease the line from Verizon.

DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. The telco will send you a modem that you hook up to your phone line - you need to use the one they provide. It's NOT the same as a dial-up modem.

You'll get filters to put on all of your lines that are connecting to phones. The line with the modem does NOT get a filter. The filters let you talk on the phone and use the Internet at the same time. If you don't use them, your DSL might drop when the phone rings, etc.

They offer different speed plans, but the real determination of speed is how far your line is from the Central Office (CO) - the building where your lines end up and connect to equipment. DSL stops working around 18,000 feet from the CO. If you are too far, it won't be offered.

FrankCanton
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

Thanks!
That's the stuff! I'll follow these suggestions and report. Though something tells me I'll have more questions as I have more answers (?).

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to FrankCanton

to FrankCanton
You're welcome!

Also wanted to add that they advertise speeds as "up to" - and Verizon advertises with a range of speeds. The most common Verizon speed package is 1.1-3 Mbps, or "up to" 3 Mbps. Most people will be set at the 3 Mbps end, but if you are really far from the CO, or your line is poor quality (could be both outside and inside problems), you'll get anywhere in between. The modem and the DSLAM (equipment in the CO that the line is connected to) "negotiate" the speed based on the connection quality.

Sometimes, especially in rural areas, instead of your line going all the way to the CO, it'll end up at an RT (remote terminal). This is sort of an extension of the CO designed to decrease the length of your line, so that DSL to more customers is possible. If that's the case, the length of your line will start there instead of at the CO.

RT's look like square metal cabinets you see on the sides of roads or strapped to poles. Once you know what they are, you'll notice them all the time! (I do, anyway).

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to FrankCanton

Premium Member

to FrankCanton
You might want to consider cable internet since DSL only offers a fraction of the speed you can get with cable. They offer phone service too. Either one will give you a modem, which asjpsutton pointed out, is different from a dial-up modem. Then you just connect the modem to the phone line, or coaxial cable, and run an ethernet cable between your computer and the modem. If you have more than one device you can add a router.

Some modems are wireless which will allow you to skip the ethernet cable and connect multiple devices over a wireless network. I think most computers come with a network card these days. Many even have built-in wireless.

FrankCanton
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

pjsutton,

Thanks again. I'll be doing more research over the weekend. Very interesting.

BTW are the filters for the other phones put inline at the phones themselves or is there a different configuration?
FrankCanton

FrankCanton to Stacy

to Stacy
"You might want to consider cable internet since DSL only offers a fraction of the speed you can get with cable"

I said (further up the thread):
"And cable is what I want to avoid for my own reasons (I do not have any outlying $ or legal issues with them BTW)"

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to FrankCanton

to FrankCanton
said by FrankCanton:

pjsutton,

Thanks again. I'll be doing more research over the weekend. Very interesting.

BTW are the filters for the other phones put inline at the pones themselves or is there a different configuration?

Yes. It would come with instructions with pictures and diagrams.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to FrankCanton

Premium Member

to FrankCanton
Where I live in the Bronx there's two options for wire line service: Cablevision and Verizon.

I used to have the option for DSL, but the telco has since ripped out the old copper and placed fiber optics in its place. When DSL was the only option, pricing averaged $40 ~ $55 depending on provider.

You can always go wireless and opt for a T-Mobile WiFi hotspot and accompanying T-Mobile prepaid $30 unlimited plan. It comes with a decent monthly allotment of data.

To get up to speed on broadband fundamentals, HowStuffWorks has decent write-ups here and here.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude to FrankCanton

Premium Member

to FrankCanton
when you go to Verizon.com , you may find that your address is is only eligible for FiOS. VZ will NOT install DSL if your address can get FiOS. It is much better than DSL for you the end user setup is similar . You connect your PC to a router which is connected to the internet. (YES I know know it is more involved) but that is the basics

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to FrankCanton

to FrankCanton
I've read they also have a lower tier option that is NOT advertised to get people off DSL. I believe it's 5 Mbps down / 1 up and costs about the same as DSL. But you have to ask for it.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to FrankCanton

Premium Member

to FrankCanton
Frank, if you own/use a cell phone, you can drop Verizon altogether and get a TWCable 50/5 service for under $40/mo without taxes or fees as long as you buy your own $80 modem. it's technically no more difficult than getting DSL, and with CableTV you get a free premise visit to make sure you are all setup correctly.

FrankCanton
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

I got sidestepped and overwhelmed with things. I want to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone posting and sharing their knowledge. I'm still in need of this (DSL) and this last round of info from you guys makes it more exasperating (But That's a good thing!)

Thanks again!!

FrankCanton

FrankCanton

Does anyone have any info on Interlync? They are available in my area however it seems the reviews here are quite old.

I'm ready to make inquiries.

Any suggestions on carriers?

Thanks in advance...

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to FrankCanton

Premium Member

to FrankCanton
Still just a tad confused as to why you would want DSL when FIOS is available to you? Much faster and more choices. Maybe I'm missing something.

FrankCanton
Brooklyn, NY

FrankCanton

Does anyone have any info on Interlync? They are available in my area however it seems the reviews here are quite old.

I'm ready to make inquiries.

Any suggestions on carriers?

Thanks in advance...
FrankCanton

FrankCanton

Thanks to all!!! Really!!

In the end I went with cable for $32.00/month more, bought my modem and got a free router from the cable company!!

My son is having a great time on his Xbox etc.

Oh, and I'm keeping my dialup ($120.00/year) for all sensitive and financial transactions. So far it has worked flawlessly as I disconnect the modem and connect the phone on "checkout" etc. Just a little more security...

P.S. DSL was $60.00/month, 1 year contract and max speed 6MB/768Kb. Wow that's a lot!! But Interlync are very courteous and professional in there communiqués