Search similar:

uniqs

Gonzo
@108.228.3.x

Gonzo

Anon

Help Disconnect Landline for VoIP

Click for full size
I currently have landline and Uverse Internet/TV. I plan on porting my number and cancel landline. Can someone help me figure out what to disconnect once the landline is off? I need to disconnect it for VOIP to go to inside home jacks
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

I'm guessing your landline is VoIP from your ISP. It looks like pulling the (4) RJ-11 plugs (grey, black, green, yellow) will disconnect DSL service and voice service from your house wiring. Perhaps you can plug the green or yellow RJ-11 into your new ata to energize the house wiring.

What do you think?

OE

Gonzo
@108.228.3.x

Gonzo

Anon

Im using ooma if i disconnect the any of the green or yellow RJ-11 i loose the tv and internet
bw5745
join:2014-03-14

bw5745

Where is your U-verse modem? Your internal telephone house wiring is probably plugged into the back of the modem. For instance, if you have a 2wire 3000 series:

»www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs ··· 0107.pdf

(see page 3)

Your house wiring would be plugged into the grey-boxed jacks on the right. Unplugging the wiring from the modem should disconnect your AT&T U-verse Voice phone service. Check that the U-verse Internet and TV still works.

Check that the phones are dead by picking up and listening for the absence of dial tone. Make a test call from your cellphone to your phone number. If there is a dial tone and the house phones still ring when called, your wiring is more complicated. You should leave it alone and run new phone wires for VoIP. Alternatively, you can plug a multi-handset cordless phone system into the Ooma device directly.

If the phones are properly dead and calling the number does not ring your house phones, you can reuse the house wiring for Ooma. Plug an Ethernet wire between the modem and the Ooma hardware. If your modem is the 2wire, use the Local Ethernet ports. Connect the other end to the To Internet port on the Ooma. Plug the house wiring you unplugged from the modem into the Phone jack on the Ooma.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to Gonzo

to Gonzo
said by Gonzo :

Im using ooma if i disconnect the any of the green or yellow RJ-11 i loose the tv and internet

That's curious.

You could ID the telephone wiring behind wall plates, find it at the demarcation point where it connects to service, and disconnect it there. From your photo, I'd say it's the wiring that arrives lower left and routes across to connect at those rocker tab connecters at lower right.

You should probably consult AT&T support.

OE

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to Gonzo

Premium Member

to Gonzo
That's an iNID, and if you're losing TV/internet when you unplug the green or yellow wires then something's wired wrong. You'll probably get better responses posting this in the Uverse forum as a number of great AT&T guys hang out there.

/M
bw5745

bw5745 to Gonzo

to Gonzo
Okay, my previous post does not match your equipment. Sorry. Does this manual match your equipment?

»www.att.com/support_medi ··· 2_UG.pdf

Is the 2wire box at the bottom of the picture your i38HG? If you disconnect the green wire, the i38HG won't receive the HPNA signal over the home telephone wiring. Are your TV set-top boxes connected to your home telephone jacks too? If so, it is not safe to reuse your home telephone wiring for Ooma. AT&T's equipment is using your home telephone wiring to feed all of their equipment.

If all your telephone jacks are fed by modern 4-pair wiring, it may be possible to find an unused pair to use for Ooma. This would require changing the connections behind every telephone jack. A local telephone wiring technician should be able to make it work. I doubt an AT&T technician would offer this service.

Gonzo
@108.228.3.x

Gonzo

Anon

thank you for all the responses, i38HG is the modem I'm using,im going to try to find an un used pair of wires to use for ooma.
bw5745

bw5745

The tricky part is that there are three possible signals on the wire: telephone, VDSL and HPNA. Without test gear, it might not be easy to check if a pair is truly unused. I'm not sure if HPNA signals alone make an audible noise if you connect a telephone. There is also the risk that there may be a telephone connection without a dial tone present on a pair. If AT&T ever energizes the pair, it could damage your Ooma hardware unless you can properly disconnect the outside wiring.

Gonzo
@108.228.3.x

Gonzo

Anon

Ill contact ATT and have them come out to disconnect me from outside....thank u
bw5745

1 recommendation

bw5745

I didn't make my point clear enough. You still need a connection outside to AT&T's network. An AT&T technician won't do this for you.

To configure the wiring the way you want, you need an independent technician with experience to examine the exact configuration of your interior wiring. If they find an unused pair that can reach all of your outlets, they can make sure it is not connected to any AT&T equipment and use it for Ooma.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by bw5745:

To configure the wiring the way you want, you need an independent technician with experience to examine the exact configuration of your interior wiring. If they find an unused pair that can reach all of your outlets, they can make sure it is not connected to any AT&T equipment and use it for Ooma.

+1

Alternatively, the independent technician could run additional wiring to support Ooma.

Gonzo
@108.228.3.x

Gonzo

Anon

Re: Help Disconnect Landline for VoIP (Solved)

the tech came out today and disconnected the white and red cables beneath the yellow DSL line.Problem solved ....lovin ooma.