DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

[Business] DPC3939b annoyingness

Well I finally got a DPC3939b and last I was able to check was getting 8 downstreams and 3 upstreams (up from 4x3 on the SMC)

but here's what annoys me that I wasn't expecting.

the part of the config for it's private lan IP is integrated with its DHCP server.
well I wanted it'd private lan IP to be 192.168.100.1 and it's DHCP server to be OFF.

well now I can't access it's web interface at all its like it just shutdown it's web UI
I don't want it to use an 10. address because that's what I use internally and though I don't currently use 10.1.x.x if I did in the future I don't want it to overlap and thus block access to the CM or to my net.

I've tried resetting it but no good.

also it was fairly slow to change the wifi/moca/ect to off (and even then I know I need to get Comcast to turn off the xfinity wifi)

oh also although I had mysteriously gotten boosted from 50/10 to 100/20 with the SMC and that was part of why I wanted more downstreams, (IE more reliable down load bandwidth) it seems now I'm back to 50/10

so I guess its the lan private IP and the speed that are most annoying me.

after I can reach it again I'll still have to re-do my monitoring page as it was made for the SMC and its clear the HTML is very different.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I did a "show IP arp gi 0/0" and per arp the DPC did take the ip 192.168.100.1 but won't reply to pings and the web interface won't come up on that IP.

then I tried directly connecting and although I had turned off the DHCP server my computer pulled a 192.168.100.x ip and listed 192.168.100.1 as the DHCP server.

but still even directly connected I couldn't ping that IP or get the Web UI to open.

I was however able to ping it'd public IP in my range (IE the 6th static IP) and was able to open the web UI via that IP but on that IP it won't accept cusadmin for login. (though I wonder if it'd accept the MSOadmin login though that's something for Comcast to know)
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

anyone have an idea to get the DPC's UI to be reachable again?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

anyone have an idea to get the DPC's UI to be reachable again?

On the occasions that happened to me when I was using the SMCD3G, the only recovery method I found was to do a factory reset using the reset pushbutton (and then of course, my network was dead until I could find a BCI CSR who know how to restore my static IP config).

I know that you said you had reset it, but did you do a quick reboot type reset, or the "hold the button in for 30 seconds" factory reset?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I held it for a few seconds, I didn't count it, I guess I'll give it a go.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Well I held it for a few seconds, I didn't count it, I guess I'll give it a go.

FWIW, I can remember having to do a 30-30-30 reset (holding the reset button down through a power cycle) on my old Cisco RV082 a couple of times when something I did had knocked its html and telnet interface off-line. I mention it because the DPC3939B is a Cisco device and it may have a similar emergency recovery procedure.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well seems the DPC does not like the LAN IP being set to 192.168.100.1
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I went through resetting it and then calling in and after it was back and running, while the tech was still on the phone, we tried setting the lan IP to 192.168.100.1 and promptly the web UI became unreachable.

we ended up setting it to 192.168.200.1 which worked.

I wonder if 192.168.100.1 might be used by that xfinityWiFi

now to see about updating my asp rf stats page

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

I went through resetting it and then calling in and after it was back and running, while the tech was still on the phone, we tried setting the lan IP to 192.168.100.1 and promptly the web UI became unreachable.

we ended up setting it to 192.168.200.1 which worked.

I wonder if 192.168.100.1 might be used by that xfinityWiFi

My guess about the 192.168.100.1 IP address is that it may be reserved for internal use to access the basic modem stats. I think that some of Comcast's residential gateway boxes that normally have a 10.0.0.1 LAN IP address, revert to using 192.168.100.1 if the gateway is put into bridge mode. Perhaps the DPC3939b does something similar?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well the SMC was able to be set to 192.168.100.1

and ya all plain modems I know of use 192.168.100.1 for their stat page

oh well, now to see if I can get the ASP page sorted.
looks like it'll be completely new.

also oddly after that my IPv6 tunnel wouldn't come up and I had to mess with it.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

and kinda annoyed my speed doubling went away, maybe I should have stuck with the SMC (Hay I was getting 100/20 with it for some odd reason.)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Well the SMC was able to be set to 192.168.100.1

But the SMC gateway becomes totally invisible to IP traffic on its LAN interface if it is put into bridge mode (no access to modem stats or anything else). Perhaps Comcast (or Cisco) decided to be a bit more customer friendly with the DPC3939b. Although in your case not being able to assign 192.168.100.1 to its LAN wasn't very friendly -- especially since it locked up the LAN side web admin interface (an error message saying that IP address was not permissible would have been a better way to handle it).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I'm not sure if it was locked or just a routing issue as it wasn't even pingable.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

I'm not sure if it was locked or just a routing issue as it wasn't even pingable.

The SMCD3GNV's admin page usually locks up. You just have to reboot to make it accessible again.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by DarkLogix:

The SMCD3GNV's admin page usually locks up. You just have to reboot to make it accessible again.

Talking about the DPC3939b not the SMC.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by Darknessfall:

said by DarkLogix:

Talking about the DPC3939b not the SMC.

I meant, it could probably be similar in how you can get it to work.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

I meant, it could probably be similar in how you can get it to work.

Nope on this if the lan management page is set to 192.168.100.1 then its unpingable and unbrowsable.

I had to get the CSR to change it as they can reach it via a different ip address than we can.

re-booting wouldn't work.