spc
Search similar:

uniqs
optivity
join:2014-10-13
Guilderland, NY

optivity to bull3964

to bull3964

Re: [IMG] New Quantum Build : 2.18.2 (9/11/14)

I was never a fan of Windows administration. Thankfully my work entails supporting mostly UNIX - AIX/PowerVM platforms these days.

So how is Quantum TV. I have a QIP7232-P2 & a QIP7100-P2 that operate trouble free. I was all hot-to-trot to upgrade to the VMS/IPC 1100 before reading about all the issues associated w/Quantum TV.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by optivity:

I was never a fan of Windows administration. Thankfully my work entails supporting mostly UNIX - AIX/PowerVM platforms these days.

So how is Quantum TV. I have a QIP7232-P2 & a QIP7100-P2 that operate trouble free. I was all hot-to-trot to upgrade to the VMS/IPC 1100 before reading about all the issues associated w/Quantum TV.

Honestly, if you don't desperately need the 6 or 12 tuners, I'd wait until they've ironed out the kinks. It's a frustrating experience for many of us. (Though there are those that have had no problems.)
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer

said by bsangs:

said by optivity:

Honestly, if you don't desperately need the 6 or 12 tuners, I'd wait until they've ironed out the kinks. It's a frustrating experience for many of us. (Though there are those that have had no problems.)

Ditto.....the system works, but there is a plethora of bugs that need to be weeded out. I've been watching a football game and the picture started to freeze. I'd have to change the channel and go back to it to get it going again and it would go back to freeze mode. I had to reset the server and then the client I was using to fix it......not the end of the world but a big pain in the rear.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to Myzteziz

to Myzteziz
Tonight on my VMS, I had this same issue. In my previous post, it was my IPC. So the same experience, but the boxes were reversed, this time.

It was the exact same situation.

Bobsap
@8.12.251.x

Bobsap

Anon

We all have the option of going back to our old multi room dvr setups

Why not consider that?
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

No guarantee you'll be able to get the old equipment. Currently they use software changes at the home office to turn the Quantum VMS server from a 6-tuner DVR into a 2-tuner DVR.

Besides, I think we're all assuming this will eventually be fixed. And wouldn't that p**s you off if you returned all the Quantum equipment and it was fixed within the next day or two? Or maybe that's just me?

bobsap
@173.61.57.x

bobsap

Anon

One of my network engineer buddys, reboots his VMS every other day, and claims its a good thing to do to clear out stuff that gives us delays etc?

Says there may be an auto reboot to do it every day, lets say at 2am???

Anyone do or hear of this???
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

said by bobsap :

Says there may be an auto reboot to do it every day, lets say at 2am???

Anyone do or hear of this???

If auto reboot is not possible, hook the VMS1100 server up to a lamp timer with a power reset every night at 3 AM.
JAH_PGH
join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

JAH_PGH to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I've needed to reboot both VMS and IP boxes for more than a week now (missing channel icons, slow remote response, DVR lag etc), but didn't have the gumption to do it for fear of something else breaking. I was surprised yesterday to find that my IP box either auto rebooted or received an update. I turned it on and the FiOS home screen was active. I haven't checked the VMS yet, but the speed after a reboot on the IP box is great. I'm sure it won't last for very long, but for now it seems to be working fine.

Anyone else receive an automatic reboot?
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

My VMS was back to screensaver this am.
I never turn it off.
But when I checked, it showed same software version.
crankerchick
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
Ellicott City, MD

crankerchick to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
I'm still reading through this thread and the others, but just wanted to ask if anyone is having their server lose connection to the router repeatedly? We had the service installed with 2 client boxes about 2 months ago and all worked fine for about 4 weeks, save for the lag in navigation over time. For the last 3 weeks we have dealt with the client boxes intermittently not being able to tune to any channels besides what the main server was recording or tuned to. Rebooting the main server would usually fix the problem, but a few times I had to cycle the ONT and router. We had a technician out and he replaced the server. It didn't work for a single day. By that night, it was rebooting itself constantly. CS said they can't see our router and that would cause the server to reboot. We had a another tech out 2 days later, who did a lot more testing of the lines and said our router and signal looked good, replaced some splitters, and replaced the server again. We had zero issues for 5 days and then there we were again with the clients not being able to tune to any channels. We have been credited for almost a week's worth of service at this point, but all we really want is functional television. They are sending us our old equipment back, as we are tired of dealing with it.

Has anyone experienced this type of issue and have a fix? I like having the 6 tuner set up but not at this expense. I could live with the lag, but not with the intermittent loss of TV. Sometimes it fixes itself all on it's own too (like we fall asleep with functioning television, wake up and see it's out but go back to sleep, and then wake up in the morning and it's functional again). We've never had any disruption with the internet. Does anyone know if using our own router in addition to the verizon router could be causing this? Everything is hooked up properly and has functioned fine for years until now.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

I've had that happen with an ip client once. A simple reboot fixed it and it hasn't happened since.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to crankerchick

to crankerchick
said by crankerchick:

Has anyone experienced this type of issue and have a fix? I like having the 6 tuner set up but not at this expense. I could live with the lag, but not with the intermittent loss of TV. Sometimes it fixes itself all on it's own too (like we fall asleep with functioning television, wake up and see it's out but go back to sleep, and then wake up in the morning and it's functional again). We've never had any disruption with the internet. Does anyone know if using our own router in addition to the verizon router could be causing this? Everything is hooked up properly and has functioned fine for years until now.

If you are using a second router, you should definitely take it out of the network for a one week test to see if the service improves.
crankerchick
Premium Member
Ellicott City, MD

crankerchick

Premium Member

That's what I'm thinking too. After reading more, it doesn't seem like anyone else is experiencing what we are. Unfortunately the VZ router doesn't service our home as well as my second router, so we will have to deal with flaky wifi for a while to see.
crgauth
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

How do you have it set up?
I assume by service your house you mean WIFI coverage.
You can use the FIOS router and just use your second router in bridge mode. I did that in my house. With that, you can either keep wifi on the FIOS router, or disable it and run from your router only.
crankerchick
Premium Member
Ellicott City, MD

1 edit

crankerchick

Premium Member

Our setup is coax to the FiOS router and our router is on lan port 1 of the fios router. Our desktop computer and NAS are on LAN ports 1 and 2 of our router. I got that setup I believe from this site but I could be wrong as I set it up over a year ago. This is in the basement. I turn off the FiOS router wireless because it doesn't service the top level of our home while my router can (albeit just barely).
crgauth
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

I have a similar setup.
But as I stated, it is best to configure your router in bridge mode.
Turn off DHCP on your router (let FIOS router be DHCP).
Connect cable from FIOS router on a lan port instead of WAN port.
crankerchick
Premium Member
Ellicott City, MD

crankerchick

Premium Member

Yes, that is exactly my setup. DHCP on my router is off (or should be, that's how I remember configuring it last year when I set it up) and my router is on LAN port 1 of the fios router. I will look back over the settings tonight to be sure, though.
infinitempg
join:2014-07-08
Bradenton, FL

infinitempg to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Just curious if this is the "norm" now for Quantum or just us, but when we turn the TV on, regardless of server or sub-box, if we try to select a 3 digit channel before the TV is live the box display shows only the first number pushed, can't clear it (exit) or anything and it will switch to that single digit channel when everything comes up. (IE - the box was on 622 and ON, TV off. Turn TV ON with remote and then hit 513 to switch channels, only the 5 displays, won't clear even with EXIT and switches to channel 5 when TV comes up.) Normal Quantum now?

And with the digital tuner boxes (DCT-700 I think) when you hit a channel number it takes that number but if you hit the wrong number you can't delete the number you hit. Wanted to hit 5 and fat-fingered 4, you have to keep hitting numbers until you get to an unavailable channel (4-digits, 4444) and it clears and then you can hit the correct number. Any way to erase/clear a number you pressed?

And big BIG time... WHERE THE HECK IS OUR PANDORA WIDGET?????
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer

said by infinitempg:

Just curious if this is the "norm" now for Quantum or just us, but when we turn the TV on, regardless of server or sub-box, if we try to select a 3 digit channel before the TV is live the box display shows only the first number pushed, can't clear it (exit) or anything and it will switch to that single digit channel when everything comes up. (IE - the box was on 622 and ON, TV off. Turn TV ON with remote and then hit 513 to switch channels, only the 5 displays, won't clear even with EXIT and switches to channel 5 when TV comes up.) Normal Quantum now?

Well, it's the "norm" insofar that it's a known bug.....I get this all the time after turning a box on.

Hopefully they will fix this with the next firmware release.....and hopefully said release comes within the next 2 weeks. I'm glad they skipped a month to work on it but having to make the rounds to reboot boxes every few days has gotten old.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
pressing up to reach the 120 minute extension on recordings still doesnt work

and pressing up/down while watching a DVR'd program still doenst show the DVR progresss, instead the TV channel you were previously watching

can still only see the progress bar by manually FF/RW

also they need to do something to speed up the responce of the remote, trying to skip thru a basketball game yesterday there was almost a 5 second delay form when i pressed it and when it happened (its not the typical batteries issue either)

on the flip side, one improvement, it no longer loads up the channel of the program the DVR program was airing on when it ends, instead it went to the last channel i had it it on, always hated that with the STB's
zenoland
Premium Member
join:2001-12-08
Holiday, FL

zenoland

Premium Member

You can see the progress bar if you hit "info".

Tomel
join:2007-11-07
Midlothian, VA

Tomel to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I could access progress bar while watching a recorded program by hitting "Info" before Quantum. It doesn't work for me now. The only way I can check progress now is to FF or RW.

Still having to reboot every few days. This is really getting old. Has Verizon actually acknowledged this and any of the other bugs? I've seen tons of posts by "us consumers" but nothing from Verizon. Would be nice to know for sure they are attempting to address this issue on a fast track.
crgauth
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

They have acknowledged in other forums (this is not an official Verizon forum so you won't see them here).
Just no timeline as of yet for fixes.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
why cant they make it so the reboot process takes care of itself, rather than waiting for you to press Menu and then load the rest of the crap

Tomel
join:2007-11-07
Midlothian, VA

Tomel to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
eival . . .

I don't know, but if I was in charge I'd do what you suggest. An automatic reboot for Quantum customers at, say, 3 am each night. Sure, it may tick off a few nightowls, but most customers would appreciate not having to reboot themselves.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I'm glad the IMG 1.9.7 rollout is going smooth - since, as I feared - it looks like us Quantum customers are on the back burner until that rollout is over.

2 months now on the current build. Hoping for a Christmas gift soon.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

So...

Whispers are it may now be until January that a Quantum update comes out - so keep rebooting those boxes folks over the holidays!
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

I'm still curious why this problem isn't happening across the board. I never have to reboot my VMS. It doesn't slow down at all. I only had to reboot it once because it lost connectivity with my router, but considering I've had this box since March or April, that's not bad. There HAS to be some reason why some folks are seeing this and others aren't.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

JPL-
For me - it's not daily. But...after 7-10 days I really start to see the slowdown.

Everything from box commands, entering channel #'s, etc. It's like the boxes run out of Metamucil