uniqs

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

[iPhone] iCloud not working?

I'm just trying to backup my contacts to iCloud because my iTunes backup I just restored to has all my contacts, where iCloud only has 10 recent contacts from this month.

I've tried so many different ways but still same results. I got a new phone replacement and there's something in my backup restore that is causing some settings to act funny, so I just want to start all over with only my contacts.

Thanks

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Next backup size is 11.6gb. You have 5gb of space.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to RobNyc

Premium Member

to RobNyc
You don't want to iCloud Backup, you just want to sync Contacts with iCloud.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

You don't want to iCloud Backup, you just want to sync Contacts with iCloud.

Correct
RobNyc

RobNyc to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I deleted everything and there's no 11.6gb of anything to be backed up

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by RobNyc:

said by Mike:

In your screenshot it says next backup size 11.6gb (yellow triangle next to it)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to RobNyc

MVM,

to RobNyc
Do you send/receive a lot pictures and videos in Messages? If so, they are all stored on your phone and taking up space. You'd have to delete old conversations to remove the attachments.

But regardless, if you only want to sync contacts, you don't need to mess with the backup settings (although, you really should be backing up your phone). Just go to Settings > iCloud and make sure the slider next to Contacts is turned on.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

PhoneClean.zip
5,677,804 bytes
Phone Clean Free 3.3
iOS 8 keeps it cleaner with a 30 day delete policy. iOS 7 doesn't delete anything.

»www.imobie.com/product/p ··· -mac.dmg

iMobie still has phoneclean 3.1 up from last year. That'll blow it away.

If you are using iOS 8, you can use Phone Clean Free 3.3 which I may have in my /applications/ folder.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

said by RobNyc:

said by Mike:

In your screenshot it says next backup size 11.6gb (yellow triangle next to it)

If you look at the other screenshot I forgot to mention I deleted all backups and turned off all everything to be backed up.
RobNyc

RobNyc to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Do you send/receive a lot pictures and videos in Messages? If so, they are all stored on your phone and taking up space. You'd have to delete old conversations to remove the attachments.

But regardless, if you only want to sync contacts, you don't need to mess with the backup settings (although, you really should be backing up your phone). Just go to Settings > iCloud and make sure the slider next to Contacts is turned on.

Yea I also deleted all messages, what I'm confused about is that 2 days ago I saw all my contacts in my contacts app on the iMac but yesterday I only saw 10 of them.
RobNyc

RobNyc to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

iOS 8 keeps it cleaner with a 30 day delete policy. iOS 7 doesn't delete anything.

»www.imobie.com/product/p ··· -mac.dmg

iMobie still has phoneclean 3.1 up from last year. That'll blow it away.

If you are using iOS 8, you can use Phone Clean Free 3.3 which I may have in my /applications/ folder.

Thanks I will try this but still am on 7.1.2 since iOS8 is not public yet
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to RobNyc

Premium Member

to RobNyc
Syncing your contacts is not done through the iCloud backup interface. Go back from the backup and back to the general iCloud settings and turn contact syncing on. The data in your backup is only accessed when you restore your phone or get a new one. To keep contacts in sync live all the time requires iCloud contacts.

If you do want to backup to icloud, you'll have to delete some things, as others have mentioned.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

Syncing your contacts is not done through the iCloud backup interface. Go back from the backup and back to the general iCloud settings and turn contact syncing on. The data in your backup is only accessed when you restore your phone or get a new one. To keep contacts in sync live all the time requires iCloud contacts.

If you do want to backup to icloud, you'll have to delete some things, as others have mentioned.

That is checked now, I deleted all backups but still wasn't working. I had nothing to back up so don't know what was taking the space maybe the apps that were installed.

So what I did was went to App Store , downloaded My Contacts Backup, backed it up, it was a vCard sent to my email, reformatted iPhone with fresh settings and apps, got my contacts from email and set up iCloud backup this time seems to be working fine.