Search similar:

uniqs

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to LazMan

to LazMan

Re: In-N-Out Burger in Toronto - One Day Only

I enjoy Hero Certified and South Street burgers where I can find them (small chains). I'm sure there are some better independent places in Toronto.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

That entire franchise was mismanaged in the last few years, there have been stories in the Toronto Star about it.

Yeah, I remember reading the stories in the Star a year or two ago. A combination of a decline in sales and financial mismanagement (something about the individual stores paid rent to corporate who paid the rent for the stores until one day they stopped paying rent and ripped off the store owners).

We used to go to the Lick's in Oakville near the GO/VIA station.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Hah, that was the first Lick's I ever visited. And it was busy when I went there.

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to mr weather

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Speaking of burger joints, has Lick's finally disappeared?

They where also on Upper James in Hamilton but i have not been to the side of Hamilton in years. I did see their frozen burgers at Sobeys last year not sure about now and never did try them as we lost the Sobeys close to our house.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to capdjq

to capdjq
I was told they had it in Langley for the big car show. Once again massive lineups.

FaxCap

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Laidback

Mod

to Laidback
said by Laidback:

double patty for $4.50? using real hamburger? That's a winner right there.
I still prefer our homemade ones though.

To be completely honest, that one had bacon (3 strips) so it was $5.50, but the regular double burger is $4.50. I forgot which one that was when I posted it, but they are a meal all by themselves. Fresh hamburger, cooked to order, juicy with grill marks. Sadly, I think the snack shack closes after Labour Day rather than Thanksgiving (or later), and that's rather short-sited given the number of people who go up the line to hunt every weekend.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yes, I THOUGHT I saw Bacon !

Looks to be well worth the price.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to LazMan

to LazMan
I've had the chance to try it twice. Once in Vegas and Once in San Francisco. They key was the first time I went with someone who wouldn't stop talking about it. Apparently there's a million ways to order burgers but none of its on the menu.

I ended up like my burgers Animal Style.. lol... they tasted pretty good. I wouldn't mind getting some In N Out chains here. Obviously it's going to to have a hard time competing against the odd pub/restaurant burger thats out of this world, but it blows most fast food out of the water.

I'd go again... and again...

thebaron
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Zegema Beach

thebaron to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
He lives in North Hollywood on Radford, near the In-and-Out Burger.

Uh, the In-and-Out Burger's on Camrose.

Near the In-and-Out Burger.

Those are good burgers, Walter.

Shut the fuck up, Donny. The kid is in ninth grade, Dude, and his father is--are you ready for this?--
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Maxx2006

Premium Member

to Maxx2006
said by Maxx2006:

I did see their frozen burgers at Sobeys last year not sure about now and never did try them as we lost the Sobeys close to our house.

Their frozen patties are surprisingly good. But I haven't seen them at my local Loblaw's in a while.
mr weather

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Hah, that was the first Lick's I ever visited. And it was busy when I went there.

The first one I visited was in 1997 at the Hurontario and Eglinton location. It was packed and the whole staff was singing! I think it finally closed earlier this year.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

said by Gone:

That entire franchise was mismanaged in the last few years, there have been stories in the Toronto Star about it.

Yeah, I remember reading the stories in the Star a year or two ago. A combination of a decline in sales and financial mismanagement (something about the individual stores paid rent to corporate who paid the rent for the stores until one day they stopped paying rent and ripped off the store owners).

Yeah, there were a few issues - rapid expansion, poor management, and what I think was the biggest death-blow; competition in the "premium" burger market.

For years, Licks was essentially alone as a chain providing a 'premium' burger - then South Street, Hero, and others appeared on the scene, leaving Licks to compete in a space they'd previously owned by default...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
Pretty much, the one at Pape and Danforth is now a A&W, the one in the beaches is gone, and not 100% sure of the one up on Kingston Rd after it merges with Danforth.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I've had the chance to try it twice. Once in Vegas and Once in San Francisco. They key was the first time I went with someone who wouldn't stop talking about it. Apparently there's a million ways to order burgers but none of its on the menu.

They do have a considerable "hidden menu":
»www.in-n-out.com/menu/no ··· enu.aspx
»hackthemenu.com/in-n-out ··· et-menu/

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to LazMan

to LazMan
Licks was good for burgers, one of the best fast food ones around. I still see Lick's burgers in grocery stores.

their poutine was horrid though. They just jumped on the bandwagon with crappy gravy and shredded cheese.

I still like harvey's for fast-food burgers.
Homemade is always better though, grilled over some charcoal with applewood smoking away, mmmmm.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
Me and the Missus tried it for the first time on Wednesday, it was solid.

I'll say this though, south Etobicoke isn't lacking for burger places: Woody's next to Burrito Boyz on Lakeshore is awesome, Apache by Kipling station is also solid, and there's a Five Guys on North Queen now too.

All in all, I can get a decent burger at any hours, within a five minute drive now.

EQ

dingle berry
@206.47.249.x

dingle berry

Anon

i always wanted to try the in and out burger, why dont hey just open it permanently, whats with the one day only thing? thats kinda stupid, no?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They don't have the distribution network to supply locations outside the Southwestern US and they have no intention of changing that network just for the purpose of expansion.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Gone:

They don't have the distribution network to supply locations outside the Southwestern US and they have no intention of changing that network just for the purpose of expansion.

Right.

That's why I don't understand why they would do it, how does it help them?

Seems like a cruel tease on their part....

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

v6movement to El Quintron

Anon

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I'll say this though, south Etobicoke isn't lacking for burger places: Woody's next to Burrito Boyz on Lakeshore is awesome, Apache by Kipling station is also solid, and there's a Five Guys on North Queen now too.

Can't say as I've been to Woody's even though its a 5 minute walk away, but Apache burger is NOT the same, they've changed. I'm not saying its awful or anything but its not what they were known for.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
The original Licks in the Beaches circa 1981 (picture a store just narrow enough that you could touch both side walls with your arms outstretched) was pretty remarkable for its time - a really good burger back them. There was also a good place in the mid/late 1970's on the south side of Bloor near Bay St. called Toby's.

If you want an insanely good burger, try 'Holy Chuck' on Yonge Street just south of St. Clair. IIRC the most expensive burger is around $30 and comes with something like a dozen patties - if you can eat the whole thing in a certain amount of time, it's free.
moose_338
join:2013-11-30
Waubaushene, ON

moose_338 to Last Parade

to Last Parade
Same here they seem to be my go too burger joints.

2 South street joints in Barrie one on Bayfield and one just off Mapleview on Bryn dr. And a good bunch in the GTA Love having the NYF poutine as well

And just found out a couple weeks ago about the hero certified off the 400 just north of Waubaushene that's less then ten mins from my place. Their poutine is good too.
Expand your moderator at work

Cliffy
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON

Cliffy to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan

I don't get to grab a burger in Toronto very often, but a few years ago I tried Dangerous Dan's on Queen E. Really good burgers, fries and shakes.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to v6movement

Premium Member

to v6movement
said by v6movement :

Can't say as I've been to Woody's even though its a 5 minute walk away,

Their poutines are solid as well, if you want a decadent lunch get the Bison Burger with poutine and your favourite suds... it's as close as anyone is going to get to gastronomic heaven, or a gastric bypass. You decide.
Expand your moderator at work

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan

I like Weber's that is outside of orillia myself. I also like Barrie burgers in well Barrie I've been to the one on young street a few times.