dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nomenclature
join:2014-09-11

nomenclature

[CustSvc] Modem Owners: How is Comcast tech support for connection issues?

If you own your own cable modem and have Comcast / Xfinity how have your tech support experiences been for connectivity issues? Do they immediately blame your modem and dodge responsibility or is the level of tech support equally bad as when you rent their modem? Would you recommend people a) get their own cable modem for the savings or b) just pay the $7/month and get "better" tech support?

I'm considering purchasing a cable modem to avoid paying the $7/month rental fee for Comcast's modem. I have no problem administering my own LAN but unfortunately relying on Comcast to administer the connection between the modem and their network means frustrating tech support calls. If I use my own modem I fear that all future tech support calls to Comcast will become even more infuriating since they can just blame my cable modem as the culprit (whether or not the modem is the cause or not). Comcast tech support is horrible enough as is (E.G., blaming my router when it's clearly not a router issue) and giving them one more way to avoid responsibility seems masochistic.

Would love to hear your experiences! Again, I'm not worried about administering my own LAN; it's the tech support calls regarding my connection between the modem and Comcast / Xfinity's network that worry me.

Thanks!

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I started with Comcast Internet Service with my own modem, and had connectivity problems at the outset. They were able to see poor signal levels from their side. They sent a tech out the next day and replaced the entire coax run from the pedestal.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to nomenclature

MVM

to nomenclature
I had an issue about 2 years ago where my downstream signal levels were gradually falling below -12 dBmV on my owned Moto SB6121 modem.

When I called in, I think the CSR had me try a few things first, like remaking connections and rebooting the modem, but when that didn't do anything, she did schedule a tech visit.

When the tech arrived, he replaced my (outdoor) ground block and the fittings on the cables on both sides of it, figuring that (rain) water may have been infiltrating one or more of those.

It worked, as my levels then jumped back up to the 0 to -3 dBmV region that they were in originally.
nomenclature

nomenclature to graysonf

to graysonf
Thanks graysonf! That's encouraging to hear.
nomenclature

nomenclature to telcodad

to telcodad
Thanks for the reply telcodad! That sounds like better support than I get and I've rented from Comcast for 10+ years! They like to blame me for everything and threaten me with a charge if they send a tech out and the issues turn out be my fault. Thus far it's been their fault every time! Argh!
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew to nomenclature

to nomenclature
When I had my 4-month fight against connection issues they blamed my house's cabling, my single coax splitter, my modem, my router, and my switch. Replaced all of the above after which they then blamed the new cabling, the new splitter, the new modem, the new router, and the new switch. Several service calls later they replaced the drop to my house and everything was golden. lol good times, good times.

Just assume that it's going to be your fault until proven otherwise.

At least I had an excuse to buy new networking toys, and now I have backups of everything in case something dies.
nomenclature

nomenclature

Ugh. That brings back nightmares of the 2-month fight I once had w/ Comcast about a horrible connection for everyone in my 12-unit building. Eventually the problem was solved when I chatted up a Comcast tech who happened to be on my street fixing another building's issue. He was a higher-level tech and disdainfully said the lower-level techs didn't know what they were doing. He was awesome as he did some diagnostics on our building, immediately identified the problem, circumvented the standard process, and got things fixed. Wish they could all be as awesome as that guy.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to nomenclature

MVM

to nomenclature
said by nomenclature:

Thanks graysonf! That's encouraging to hear.

They didn't charge for that vist. And when the cable got severed where it went under a sidewalk, they came out and replaced it again for free.
Mikes_Modems
Premium Member
join:2014-09-08

Mikes_Modems to nomenclature

Premium Member

to nomenclature
Any of the modems at this site works:

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Personally I'd recommend the Motorola SB6141.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Mikes_Modems:

Just one caveat with the SB6141 right now - some posters have reported issues with it, but there is a new version of firmware that appears to resolve the problem:

»[Speed] Slow as heck: Comcast HSI 50/10 w SB6141

»[Firmware] SB6141 Download Speed Issue
nomenclature

nomenclature

said by telcodad:

said by Mikes_Modems:

Just one caveat with the SB6141 right now - some posters have reported issues with it, but there is a new version of firmware that appears to resolve the problem:

»[Speed] Slow as heck: Comcast HSI 50/10 w SB6141

»[Firmware] SB6141 Download Speed Issue

Thanks for the link, Mikes_Modems! Thanks for the heads up on the SB6141 issues and firmware fix, telcodad.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to nomenclature

Premium Member

to nomenclature
said by nomenclature:

it's the tech support calls regarding my connection between the modem and Comcast / Xfinity's network that worry me.

I believe it is purely luck lately whether one can get a phone agent that is willing to go beyond the "let me send a refresh signal ...". It used to be different - support was a lot better.

From my two past experiences of TRYING to have an owned modem (both "reallocated" to being Comcast's and I had NOT saved my receipts), they will blame your equipment. Cripe, they (home visit tech) tried to blame my wireless keyboard (!!); and another visit, it was my surge protector.

For phone support my favorite call of a year ago to find out my uSNR (read at their CMTS) resulted in "I dunno, I'm just paid to answer the phone." Click/disconnect. Called back and Carlos says "that's none of your business". Yeah, I remember his name.

Luck of the draw. Keep your receipt ... forever.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to nomenclature

Premium Member

to nomenclature
I think i deal with a different comcast. In 21 years i have had service at this address they have never asked me to power cycle my modem. The first 19 was with a customer owned modem with the last two being rented. Than again i have only had one service call in that 21 years and even that i repaired before they came. Im getting ready to go back to a customer owned modem. Of course, working for another cable company i understand that if signal levels are good the first order is to replace equipment starting with the cheapest of the line which happens to be the modem. You would be surprised how many times replacing a 80 dollar cable modem actually does work.
Brocktoon
join:2009-08-11
Fairless Hills, PA

Brocktoon to nomenclature

to nomenclature
I had an insane 1 year+ issue/battle with Comcast after Hurricane Sandy. I noticed in November 2012 that my downstream power levels were jumping from around 0 to -14 multiple times a day. When that would stop, it was noticed that I would then run into weeks of upstream noise issues. There must have been at least a dozen techs out to my area over months. All of the good techs mentioned it was an issue on my street and had nothing to do with my house. By the summer of 2013, probably half of the Comcast customers on my street switched to FiOS due to the signal problems. Since the problems would disappear for a few weeks, then then return for another month, Comcast would keep closing out the old tickets and say each month that it was a new issue.

Finally around November 2013, after collecting months of signal data and trouble tickets, I was able to get my issue escalated to the Comcast Corporate folks via e-mail. My issue was assigned to a specific higher level corporate resolutions person. This seemed to change the game. The Comcast rep was extremely helpful, and kept me in touch with my local Comcast techs and engineers. By January 2014 the problems were tracked down to multiple amp/equipment issues on my street. After the equipment was repaired, things have been running relatively fine for months.

Moral of the story is to remain persistent, record as much troubleshooting info as possible, and try to get in touch with the Comcast resolutions team if the problem persists. Comcast has some amazing techs and engineers out there ... the problem is just getting through bull to get to them.
mardyron
join:2004-02-06
Hydes, MD

mardyron to nomenclature

to nomenclature
I have been with Comcast (too long) so several yrs. I started out with the "Gamer's Package" (no longer available - shame on them) w/my own modem. They constantly blamed my modem even when their techs came out and said it wasnt my modem. Even had it replaced by the MFG a few times and re certified. Anyway they finally convinced mt to upgrade to their ALL in One unit (technicolor) EMTA/modem/wifi router (total POS) it is a real POS, have to unplug and pull battery since the login locks you out all the time. NO speed balancing on any connection and the WiFi is horrible to stealing the B/W from other devices. Ready to cancel service
nomenclature

1 recommendation

nomenclature to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

said by nomenclature:

it's the tech support calls regarding my connection between the modem and Comcast / Xfinity's network that worry me.

I believe it is purely luck lately whether one can get a phone agent that is willing to go beyond the "let me send a refresh signal ...". It used to be different - support was a lot better.

From my two past experiences of TRYING to have an owned modem (both "reallocated" to being Comcast's and I had NOT saved my receipts), they will blame your equipment. Cripe, they (home visit tech) tried to blame my wireless keyboard (!!); and another visit, it was my surge protector.

For phone support my favorite call of a year ago to find out my uSNR (read at their CMTS) resulted in "I dunno, I'm just paid to answer the phone." Click/disconnect. Called back and Carlos says "that's none of your business". Yeah, I remember his name.

Luck of the draw. Keep your receipt ... forever.

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your experiences Furrever Fur. Sounds about in line w/ my past experiences with them. I feel bad for the non-tech savvy customers who may have actually replaced their wireless keyboards and surge protectors based on what these horrible techs are telling them!
nomenclature

nomenclature to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I think i deal with a different comcast. In 21 years i have had service at this address they have never asked me to power cycle my modem. The first 19 was with a customer owned modem with the last two being rented. Than again i have only had one service call in that 21 years and even that i repaired before they came. Im getting ready to go back to a customer owned modem. Of course, working for another cable company i understand that if signal levels are good the first order is to replace equipment starting with the cheapest of the line which happens to be the modem. You would be surprised how many times replacing a 80 dollar cable modem actually does work.

Thanks for the reply, rody_44! Your experiences have been much better than mine and I envy you. If I do decide to get my own modem I'll keep in mind that modem replacement is a good way to fix connection issues.

Also that's great you started getting service 21 years ago! Comcast didn't have HSI in my area until about 5 years after you!
nomenclature

nomenclature to Brocktoon

to Brocktoon
Ugh. Sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for the tip on remaining persistent and recording info.

And I agree that Comcast does have some good techs (see my previous post about having gotten lucky getting a good tech when my entire building was having issues) and that it isn't easy to get one of them!
nomenclature

nomenclature to mardyron

to mardyron
said by mardyron:

I have been with Comcast (too long) so several yrs. I started out with the "Gamer's Package" (no longer available - shame on them) w/my own modem. They constantly blamed my modem even when their techs came out and said it wasnt my modem. Even had it replaced by the MFG a few times and re certified. Anyway they finally convinced mt to upgrade to their ALL in One unit (technicolor) EMTA/modem/wifi router (total POS) it is a real POS, have to unplug and pull battery since the login locks you out all the time. NO speed balancing on any connection and the WiFi is horrible to stealing the B/W from other devices. Ready to cancel service

Ugh. Yeah, the "it's your modem's fault, not our fault!" is what I'm worried about. Comcast support is infuriating enough as it is and I'm not sure if the $7/month savings is worth the extra stress of having to deal w/ even more infuriating calls when my connection goes out.

Thanks for sharing your experience so I have additional data points to make my decision on.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by nomenclature:

Ugh. Yeah, the "it's your modem's fault, not our fault!" is what I'm worried about. Comcast support is infuriating enough as it is and I'm not sure if the $7/month savings is worth the extra stress of having to deal w/ even more infuriating calls when my connection goes out.

Well, depending on what area/market you're in, that $7/month rental fee may be going up soon, to possibly as much as $10/month, like in the Portland, OR and Houston, TX areas: »[Price] Re: Prices Going Up
nomenclature

nomenclature

said by telcodad:

Well, depending on what area/market you're in, that $7/month rental fee may be going up soon, to possibly as much as $10/month, like in the Portland, OR and Houston, TX areas: »[Price] Re: Prices Going Up

Ugh. Thanks for the heads up telcodad.
nomenclature

nomenclature

Thanks to everyone who responded and provided valuable information and shared their experiences. I ended up taking the dive and purchased a modem (went w/ the Motorola SB6121). *fingers crossed* that all works out well and I haven't just set myself up for more Comcast headaches.

Thanks again, all!
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

1 recommendation

mlcarson to nomenclature

to nomenclature
This is typical Comcast support.

Call Center: Turn your modem off and back on. We don't see any issues with your connection. If you continue to have problems, call back and we'll schedule a technician out at your expense.

Technician: cuts ends off all cables, reterminates cable, and replaces splitters. The cable levels look good. Call the call center if you have any more issues.

You: Assuming the problem still exists, you have to continue with the above options until you can prove to the Technician that there is a line issue and the local technician can schedule a line tech.

Line tech: This is the guy that solves all of the problems by replacing bad lines or determining the cause of signal ingress issues. Don't expect to see this guy until call number six or better.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to nomenclature

to nomenclature
As you can see from the responses to your query, and telcodad's post, Comcast service seems to vary greatly depending on where you live. Here in Colorado Springs, at my address, support by on site techs has been great. As I have reported in other threads here, one time I had incredible pixelation on my TV that synched with major changes in modem signals data. It was a cold and windy night when the tech came (within the appointment window) and patiently heard my story. From the signal details I showed him I suggested there was a signal issue and not intermittent noise ingress, though he thought otherwise. When he attached his meter to at the pedestal he did find a signal problem, then went to the previous pedestal in the line, took the cover off and wiggled the support and took out the whole neighborhood. He was able to get an off duty on call line tech out and the two of them found and solved the problem - short circuit in the main cable. My wife and I had a social engagement that night, so we left before the line tech got here but when we go home they had been working on the solution for at least two hours. When they finished they told me they thought there could be another problem site farther up the line so they went off together to tackle that.

The problem with Comcast service often discussed in these threads is telephone tech support. My experience is that if you need a truck roll it happens quickly. Apparently in some places those driving the trucks do not provide good on site support.
nomenclature

nomenclature

mlcarson - Thanks for sharing your experiences. That's pretty much in line w/ what I've experienced.

Streetlight - I agree that the phone tech support is worse than the on-site tech support. In my region I've had very mixed experiences w/ the on-site tech support and I'm certainly always appreciative when I get lucky and get a good one! That's great to hear you get good ones in Colorado Springs!
nomenclature

nomenclature

Well that didn't take long for me to test Comcast's tech support while using my own modem! This is just an anecdote so take it for what it's worth (not much).

tl;dr - Tech support while owning my own modem was basically the same as when I rented the modem from Comcast.

long version:
Comcast was great in getting my new owned (not rented) modem set up and activated but then ~5 days later the connection dropped and didn't come back after power cycling the modem several times. I called Comcast tech support and I was relieved when they didn't just blame my modem and brush me off. They went through all the same motions as in the past whenever my connection went out and it wasn't a known problem in my region. The experience was equally frustrating as the previous times when I rented a Comcast modem (E.G., Why do you want me to clear my browser cache when the lights on the modem indicate I don't even have a connection!?)

In the end the problem was they had deactivated my modem so it had to be reactivated in their system. They couldn't explain why the modem was deactivated and all I got for my trouble was some extra TV channels for the next few months. I wonder if they deactivated my modem and made me go through all that trouble as some sort of passive-aggressive response to getting my own modem and cutting into their rental profits. *sigh*

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by nomenclature:

tl;dr - Tech support while owning my own modem was basically the same as when I rented the modem from Comcast.

Been my experience - no difference.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to nomenclature

Premium Member

to nomenclature
Dont be so sure your problems are over. If your modem was deactivated you still have a connection. (walled garden) If the lights go offline its a signal issue. Not something fixed over the phone. Lets hope they were working on something upstream. Have you checked your levels?
nomenclature

nomenclature

said by rody_44:

Dont be so sure your problems are over. If your modem was deactivated you still have a connection. (walled garden) If the lights go offline its a signal issue. Not something fixed over the phone. Lets hope they were working on something upstream. Have you checked your levels?

rody_44 - Thanks for the reply and info.

I did check my signals levels when the owned modem was first activated and after the connection loss (in which Comcast claimed it was due to my modem being deactivated) and they were normal. I don't recall the exact numbers but when I check I insure the Signal to Noise Ratio is above 35 dB, the downstream power level is between -15dBmV and +15 dBmV , and the upstream power level is less than 55 dBmV. Are those reasonable levels/cutoffs to look for?

Currently my levels are:
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37-38 dB
downstream power level: 3 dBmV
upstream power level: 47-49 dBmV

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by nomenclature:

... I don't recall the exact numbers but when I check I insure the Signal to Noise Ratio is above 35 dB, the downstream power level is between -15dBmV and +15 dBmV , and the upstream power level is less than 55 dBmV. Are those reasonable levels/cutoffs to look for?

Here is where you can find info on what your signal levels/SNRs should be: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

Basically, for the downstream 256QAM channels, the SNRs should be 33dB or higher and the signal levels in the range of -7 to +7 dBmV (but -10 to +10 dBmV is acceptable).

On the upstream, with multiple, bonded ATDMA 64QAM channels, no higher than 49 dBmV is recommended, with 52 dBmV being the maximum.
said by nomenclature:

Currently my levels are:
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37-38 dB
downstream power level: 3 dBmV
upstream power level: 47-49 dBmV

Those levels/SNRs are all fine.