spc
Search similar:

uniqs

janet88
@216.125.238.x

janet88

Anon

speeding ticket

I received a speeding ticket in Normal, IL for 45 in a 30. I honestly don't think I was going that fast, but how on earth could I prove that? I am guessing the cop hit another car with the radar. I am the kind of person that normally uses cruise control in town to ensure this doesn't happen!

I am 44 and have not had a ticket since I was 18 (26 years ago) and I have never been pulled over for even a warning as I am usually so careful. This hurt at $165 for ticket, court supervision and traffic school. I asked the prosecutor on the phone is it possible to reduce the fine and she said it is not their policy. Would it be rude to write a letter to the judge to ask when prosecutor said no? Can anyone help me with wording?

Any other ideas? I have been told the cops here in town always show up for court. I am also pretty scared to go, but am willing.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

First of all, the woman who responded to you was simply using a canned response to your question. Of course it is not their "policy". A policy is merely a principle to help decide upon a rational outcome. No jurisdiction would have a policy to reduce an impending penalty.

If I were in your dilemma, and you are truly as sincere as you just sounded to me, I would appear in court and tell the judge exactly what you have written here. I also use my cruise control in most towns.
Do not write a letter to the judge. Just appear in court (dressed clean and nicely), tell them that you truly believe the officer singled out the wrong car (if radar was used, but not laser, which is very precise), and, try to obtain your driving record to speak for your tremendous testimonial as to your safe and conscientious driving habits.

If you can be as confident as most of today's cops that do not lack confidence... you have a very good chance at having the ticket thrown away.
Good luck to you.
Stevert
join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL

Stevert to janet88

to janet88
Despite what the politicians tell you about traffic safety, blah, blah, tickets are nothing more than a huge source of "free" money for municipalities.

I'd be thankful it's only $165, take the traffic course, and move on.

janet88
@66.87.75.x

janet88 to Asiabound

Anon

to Asiabound
She said it is their policy not to reduce tickets as that makes it more fair to everyone to pay the same price. Strangely doesn't feel fair...lol.

I am a professional person but since court isn't my profession it is all very scary. The prosecutor said if you plead not guilty and lose it is $250 instead of $165. That was why I thought I'd try a letter. Less terrifying.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to janet88

to janet88
Usually if the officer is not in court, then pleading not-guilty is the way the way to go, but you do have to take the time to show up. Generally if the officer is not there to represent himself then he loses, but they generally schedule these things so the officer spends the day in court hearing his tickets. It might be worth the effort to show up and talk to the judge if you have the time.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to janet88

Premium Member

to janet88
said by janet88 :

She said it is their policy not to reduce tickets as that makes it more fair to everyone to pay the same price. Strangely doesn't feel fair...lol.

I am a professional person but since court isn't my profession it is all very scary. The prosecutor said if you plead not guilty and lose it is $250 instead of $165. That was why I thought I'd try a letter. Less terrifying.

You're not strange - it isn't fair! The fine should be based on the severity of the infraction, past violations, the violators attitude, and, in a court of law - their appearance.

I understand your apprehension to contest it - that is very normal when you are pitted against people who can penalize us based on ONLY one person who is allowed to make judgments, such as this false accusation. I used to feel this way, too - but, after a brush with death earlier this year, I no longer feel nervous or scared of anyone, regardless of their career (position), their physical size, or their aggressive demeanor. I'm just happy to be alive.

I also feel for you given what the prosecutor said about paying a higher fine, should you plead not guilty. I find that not only absurd, but, by encouraging you to not stand up for yourself when you truly believe in yourself is very wrong and speaks volumes about the decay of our authoritative population.
Again, please try to obtain your complete driving record. That can work wonders, especially if you drive many miles day to day.

I truly wish you the best of luck. I wish I could help you more than I can from here.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to janet88

Premium Member

to janet88
Does that $165 include court costs? I got a ticket last year for following to close. It was BS because I was just changing lanes to get to my exit and of course, no one wanted to let me in so I had to squeeze in. I immediately backed off but that 2 seconds I was "to close" was enough for the cop.

Went to court but didn't fight it. Not being a hater but you're never gonna win a my word against a cop in court. It's just not going to happen. Ended up costing me $75 for the ticket and $140 in fees. Because the 5 seconds I spent in front of the judge cost them $140. It's BS but what can you do?

Janet88
@216.125.238.x

Janet88

Anon

Yes, it includes court costs and yes it feels like I am being bullied into just being quiet and paying. It is $165 with ticket, supervision and traffic school and $250 with ticket, supervision, court costs and traffic school if you plead not guilty and lose. If one more person tell me that they have never had a ticket and have had 3 or 4 warnings I will be crying. It doesn't feel fair to feel you play by the rules and still get penalized. I don't feel I did anything and it seems like being treated the same as someone that gets a ticket every year is unfair but maybe I am personalizing it too much. It just feel like robbery. My dad was a career state trooper so maybe this is karma hitting the wrong person...lol.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan to janet88

Premium Member

to janet88
Just show up to court and see what happens.

I got a ticket for 68 in a 45 last October along with a no proof of current insurance. Got to court, sit for 1.5 hrs and when my turn came the judge asked if I had provided proof of insurance, prosecutor said yes, he looked at both tickets and dismissed both.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to janet88

Premium Member

to janet88
You don't think you were going that fast? Then maybe you were. Tis human to error.

Janet88
@216.125.238.x

Janet88 to Janet88

Anon

to Janet88
Can anyone help me with a letter?

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

A letter for what?
Jon5

Jon5 to janet88

Premium Member

to janet88
Just got a system message that my above post was approved? Whats that about?
maubs
join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL

maubs to janet88

to janet88
My guess would be that you were on the North end of Main St. in Normal where the flow of traffic is 35-40 mph and the speed limit is 30. It's a well-known predatory speed trap area. There's not much you can do but pay the fine and move on. My mother, who's had maybe two speeding tickets in her life, was caught in that area. I was pulled over a few times traveling through there when I was in my college days.

Janet1988
@216.125.238.x

Janet1988

Anon

Close, I had turned off of Raab onto Linden starts at 40 (prior to hitting Raab) then drops to 35 and then apparently 30 all within a few blocks. I really don't think I was at 45, but I am told as you eluded to Maubs, that fighting it won't help. I am just going 30 everywhere now and ticking people off that are behind me. The speed signs change so quickly in this town and seem to follow no rhyme or reason. Airport road has homes that open directly onto yet also goes from 45 to 30 back and forth.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by Janet1988 :

The speed signs change so quickly in this town

That is to test you on how well you are paying attention while driving.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

said by Janet1988 :

The speed signs change so quickly in this town

That is to test you on how well you are paying attention while driving. catch you speeding so they can make money from writing you a ticket.

Fixed that for you
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to janet88

to janet88
I dunno if you've dealt with this or not..?

But last time I got a speeding ticket the officer said he "visually" clocked it.. and his car needed to be tested for accuracy for it to count the judge said. So they might have said tests for radar guns..??

Honestly the entire price/cost sounds like a scam.. if I lived in Chicago it might honestly make you want to "revolt" or buy a gun

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

The whole thing does sound like a scam, but it's par for the course here, especially in rural Illinois.

I once got a speeding ticket in White County (far southeast Illinois) that was a $75 fine which turned into $153 when I requested supervision by mail. This was higher than any other fine with supervision I had ever paid in the Chicago area. And there wasn't even a traffic school requirement!

I had a friend with a similar experience in Whiteside County: a $75 fine became $150 after a court appearance to request supervision.

It's all about the revenue. I'd just get supervision, pay it and be done.