uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

W7 - no more "more information" on Windows Updates

Running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

Something has gone wrong with Windows Updates. I normally view updates prior to installing them and often read what is available about many updates before installing.

Today, however, when clicking on the "more information" hot link that shows up on the Windows Updates page, nothing happens.

What's wrong and how do you fix it to get the additional information on updates without having to cut and paste the Knowledge Base article numbers into a browser's search engine (i.e., Google, ect.)?
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

Re: W7 - no more "more information" on Windows Updates

for as long as i can remember, i have always had to cut-n-paste the KB-article-numbers to pull up information about the updates..
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to Gem

to Gem
When I click on the "more information" it is bringing up a page in Pale Moon, which is my default browser. So, maybe by resetting the default browser on your computer will fix the problem.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Yep, that can have a lot to do with it when processing a Microsoft page, be that support or not.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Got the point about trying in a different browser. I normally use Firefox, but tried to get "more information" on the update using IE. As with firefox, nothing happens in IE either. It appears the "more information" hot link is now "cold".

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Is this for all of them or just one specific KB article?

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 edit

BlueMist to Gem

to Gem
I just tried it on one of my W7 Pro systems which showed only KB2310138 as being needed at that time. Clicking on "More information" took me to a web page dealing with Microsoft Security Essentials, which the update was for.

The browser used is the built in one Microsoft likes to use for updates and not Firefox which I have chosen as my default browser.

To add to the mix, I am downloading the update through a VPN tunnel to remote office in the UK while at my desk in Tennessee, USA. To Microsoft it looks like the PC they are updating is in the UK rather than Tennessee where it physically is located.

Possibly they fixed the problem at Microsoft by now...
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Frodo

Premium Member

to Frodo
said by Frodo:

When I click on the "more information" it is bringing up a page in Pale Moon

i thought they were talking about when checking for updates, at "microsoft update", which requires using IE..
Frodo

Frodo

said by redwolfe_98:

i thought they were talking about when checking for updates, at "microsoft update", which requires using IE..

Maybe they were. I thought they were talking about the more information link in the Windows Update control panel thing.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Just wanted to add that if something was broken on Microsoft's end, it looks like it is working now.

Just tested out the "More Information" link from a Windows 7 x64 Enterprise with SP1. When I clicked on the link, it opened up the default browser on the system (Google chrome) and loaded the link without any issues.

--Brian
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

It must be something with my rig, plencnerb.
Still not working here in Firefox or in IE.

Frodo is correct. This thread is about "more information" in the Windows Update window as shown in his screenshot.
Frodo

Frodo to Gem

to Gem
I brought up process monitor and watched what happened when I clicked on the more information link. The pertinent ones that selected Pale moon was:

1. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\RegisteredApplications\UrlAssociations\http\OpenWithProgids
2. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserChoice\Progid
3. HKCU\Software\Classes\FirefoxURL

On my machine, #1 was not found, which may be the reason why it went with number 2.

Inside "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\FirefoxURL\shell\open\command", it contains:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -osint -url "%1"

So, that seems to be how it works on my machine.