dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bethy
join:2009-06-17

bethy

[Electrical] How to install surface mount 2U ethernet panels on drywall?

Hi,
This may not be the appropriate forum, but it's hard to determine if this is a home improvement, repair or network type question. Apologies to any moderator if this isn't the right place.

My home office has 2 x 6 walls (interior), which were designed thicker to allow a lot of Ethernet and coax cables to be dropped.

I have about 80 cables now, and expect more later. They are in the wall, and come out to switches and eventually go through a router.

There is an unsightly, and potentially dangerous hole where the cables come out. My goal is to use 2U 24 port Ethernet patch panels.

These have punch down connections for the cable, and could be mounted on the wall flush (well just over) the drywall. This would allow no substantial air gap or unsightly hole. Over the cable patch panels, my goal would be to surface mount a 10 or 12 U wall rack then run short cables from the wall to the switches.

As some cable is coax, a 2U 24 port blank keystone jack to permit use of coax connectors, blanks or RJ45 as needed.

My concern is maintenance, while it is unlikely cables would be examined or moved often, it would be nice to have a metal bolt on frame built into the wall. This would allow metal screws to hold the racks in place.

Has anyone ever mounted an Ethernet or similar rack as a surface mount on drywall with a metal frame embedded so the wall can function somewhat as a rack for the wire infrastructure of a home?

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949

Premium Member

Try one of these:

»www.monoprice.com/Produc ··· od-G0AXg

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to bethy

Premium Member

to bethy
said by bethy:

Hi,
I have about 80 cables now, and expect more later. ...
My concern is maintenance, while it is unlikely cables would be examined or moved often, it would be nice to have a metal bolt on frame built into the wall. This would allow metal screws to hold the racks in place.

I would suggest a mount that has an access hole for the cables in the back rather than being solid.

»www.cableorganizer.com/c ··· ks.html#
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to bethy

Premium Member

to bethy
Why not put the patch panels in the 12U wall mount rack?

80 cables with keystone patch panels is going to require 4 2U patch panels.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to bethy

MVM

to bethy
The terms you should be looking for are:

- pivoting panel mounts
- swing out wall mount panel
- hinged panel mount

The idea in all those cases is to allow access to the rear side of the panel from the front. Typically they are used in open frame 2 post racks that are installed to close to the wall to allow proper rear access.

I have not seen anybody doing what you are planning to do but some of the above mentioned products should allow you to do it.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the finished project.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to bethy

to bethy
I have seen holes in walls framed with 1x4 similar to a picture frame with the patch panels screwed directly to the 1x4.

Personally I think you might like a couple of the 4U wall mounting brackets found at this link. Notice they have a rear hole to pull the needed cables thru.

»www.cablesandkits.com/pa ··· 174.html

Just one example of what I'm sure are many out there on the market.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to THZNDUP

Premium Member

to THZNDUP
If the cables are pulled through the hole in the mount, they would need to be pulled back through the hole when the panels are mounted in a rack.

A wall mount swinging mount can be easily removed by taking the hardware off of the mount.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

Both of the patch panel mounts in the links are wall mounted swing mounts. As shown, they both hinge to the left. Flip them over to hinge to the right. They both allow the panels to be removed.

The OP wanted the hole in the wall to be covered, which both of the panel swing mounts will do, just one of them will still need a hole somewhere for the cables to come out of the wall and into the punchdowns. He envisions the patch panels to be almost flush with the wall, possibly even recesssed into the hole.

Since he would then be covering this up with some kind of rack framework for his switches, etc, he could use that for terminating his patch panels as well.

Just find a 12u wall mount rack/cabinet that has both front and rear equipment attachment rails, ie: patch panels on the back rails-switches, etc on the front. Should even be able to find one that swings open for access. Just that the wall mount swing rack prices may send him into sticker shock........

»www.cableorganizer.com/c ··· ets.htm#