Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

iPod Classic has been discontinued

quote:
Hidden among their high profile announcements today, Apple quietly discontinued the iPod Classic and the old 30-pin connector.
With today's website refresh to add the Apple Watch and iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Apple has removed the iPod Classic page, leaving just the iPod Touch as the only dedicated media player.

The death of the Classic was a long time coming. The original design started in 2004, and the Classic was last updated 5 years ago when they added a large HDD model. Audiophiles were fans because you could store tons of music on the devices, but they featured old-school clickwheels and did not fit in Apple's elegant touchscreen lineup.

In addition to the iPod Classic, Apple also said goodbye to the iPhone 4S, meaning they no longer offer devices with the old 30-pin connector, so that to has been removed from the site.
I guess I'm not too surprised. I just hope for those who still want to use it,like myself, that future versions of iTunes will continue to support it. Then again, knowing the way Apple does things, if they completely discontinued it, they would have no reason to support it in any way. Well, that's the way things are. the iPod Classic had a great run for sure!

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob

RIP iPod Classic. My 5G iPod continues to rock on in my various cars, tolerating high heat and frozen temps without a complaint. Screen is busted but it still works fine. Other than my 12 year old Quicksilver G4 933, it is the longest-tenured Apple product in my household....testament to great build quality.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
I still have my 5th gen ipod as well.. about to have it's 2nd battery replacement.

I don't need a huge screen ipod for my car