uniqs
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

[Wireless] Laptop not working well

I'm having trouble with my laptop. Windows 8.1 laptop is what I'm using. I can't seem to keep a connection.

Linksys N750 EA3500 and Linksys N600 USB wireless adapter AE2500 is what I'm using.

My Xbox 360 is on Xbox Live and I'm streaming Netflix in HD, but my laptop can't open a webpage at all.

How can I fix my laptop?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Check your power management.

What browser are you using?
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

1 recommendation

Madtown

Premium Member

Mozilla Firefox

It working now, I had to update my browser to the latest version.

How do I check my power management and what do I look for?

The other day I was receiving past 105 mbps on my laptop on WiFi on the 5Ghz band, not sure what it was but the past 2 days it been around 30 Mbps. It not like I changed any of my settings so I can't say it's that.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 recommendation

Hard Harry7 to Madtown

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

Linksys N600 USB wireless adapter AE2500 is what I'm using.

If you have a Laptop running 8.1 why are you using a adapter? Shouldn't it have a built in one? If so I would first try connecting with that. Sounds like a adapter utility conflict.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Hard Harry7:

said by Madtown:

Linksys N600 USB wireless adapter AE2500 is what I'm using.

If you have a Laptop running 8.1 why are you using a adapter? Shouldn't it have a built in one? If so I would first try connecting with that. Sounds like a adapter utility conflict.

Because the internal adapter only gives me 72 Mbps. How do I fix the conflict?

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by Madtown:

internal adapter only gives me 72 Mbps.

Thats unusual. What kind of laptop do you have? Or more specifically, what wireless card(NIC) does it have.
said by Madtown:

How do I fix the conflict?

Depends on what conflict is. Did you install the linksys software that went with the adapter? If so, which one is handling the wireless, or which one do you use to configure the connection, the linksys software or windows? Try using the other of what ever software your not using.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Hard Harry7:

said by Madtown:

internal adapter only gives me 72 Mbps.

Thats unusual. What kind of laptop do you have? Or more specifically, what wireless card(NIC) does it have.

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter but I have that disabled since I'm using the Linksys USB adapter.
said by Madtown:

How do I fix the conflict?

Depends on what conflict is. Did you install the linksys software that went with the adapter? If so, which one is handling the wireless, or which one do you use to configure the connection, the linksys software or windows? Try using the other of what ever software your not using.

Yes I installed the software before using the USB adapater.

I go on Firefox and go to the router page and do my configuration from there.
Madtown

Madtown

Premium Member

Direct connection to router

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 76934343

WiFi 5 GHz using the Linksys USB adpater

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 76943493

I subscribe to Blast 105 Mbps on Comcast, how do I fix this problem. I was getting 105 Mbps one day on the 5 Ghz WiFi, but now I'm getting less than 105 Mbps. What do I do?

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Its hard to say how to fix it. Could be interference, may have been a driver update, or a OS issue. Doesn't have anything to do with Comcast though. Your having throughput issues between both the wireless adapter and internal wireless card and the router. The adapter and router are linksys, so I might suggest moving this to the Linksys forum. My guess is its a issue with router, since its affecting both adapters. Or interference.

»Linksys
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Madtown

MVM

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

I was getting 105 Mbps one day on the 5 Ghz WiFi, but now I'm getting less than 105 Mbps. What do I do?

First off : Minimize the variables and limit your speed testing to the following :

your laptop --wireless connection--> Linksys N750 --wired connection--> another test computer on your LAN.

I've stated this numerous times before on this forum... internet speedtests over wireless are made of
SUCK , period. Look into a tool like iperf, or share a large file over Windows Shares and clock
the time it takes to transfer said file.

Hard Harry7 See Profile offers some possibilies of what's causing the problem... with the testing above, should
remove a couple of the variables out of the equation.

My 00000010bits

Regards

captylor
@184.47.46.x

captylor to Madtown

Anon

to Madtown
I would have replaced the Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi
Mini PCIe card in the laptop with something like this
Intel Network 7260.HMWG .
Just as a guess for a HP Laptop.
That better than having a device on the USB Bus waiting for it's turn.
Or hanging off the laptop.
Really not hard to change out..
Seems to be some complaints about the AR9485 connection quality.
Other wise latest drivers from Oct 2013 from Lenovo.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
There are some 5.8GHz video cameras available for cheap these days. One of those will put a world of hurt on the band, especially if they are running it in a high framerate mode.

You might try changing channels...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
Not exactly related, my apologies, but a daughters laptop running windows 8 managed to have MS OFFICE PRO just disappear. How does that happen? I will be running windows 7 for as long as I can. So the tie in is ..... consider using windows 7 is all.