Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: 2014-2015 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Yeah, but shorthanded? Whew! Odoriferous or what?!?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

no need to go back that far...Bernier let this one in a couple of years ago.

Yeah, but that wasn't shot directly at him, like the one yesterday or Toskala's misplay...
HiVolt

HiVolt to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

said by HiVolt:

Funny how the offense has COMPLETELY AND ABSOLUTELY just disappeared in January...

Canucks are in the same boat....can't score at all lately.

FaxCap

I dunno, I have never seen such a goal scoring drought... They said in 12 games in January they scored 16 goals. And they scored 5 of those in one game (the only win in January vs Columbus).

So in the 11 losses they've scored a grand total of 11 goals, being shut out 3 times and came close to being shut out a few more times.

One more game in January, but this month I think is gonna go down as the worst in team history.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

no need to go back that far...Bernier let this one in a couple of years ago.

Yeah, but that wasn't shot directly at him, like the one yesterday or Toskala's misplay...

yea, it's worse...at least with Toskala, the puck took a football bounce on its last hop and perhaps with this one, the puck dropped surprisingly quick...with the one from a couple of years ago, all he had to was NOT do what he did, which was end up deflecting it into his own net.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
By the time late March rolls around (when I got tickets for my friend from New York and I to go to the game) I think I'm going to need to pack a paper bag as well :P

NefCanuck
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

I'm not saying Maple Leaf fans are angry at Jonathan Bernier right now, but they've started tweeting nice things at April Reimer.

— Down Goes Brown (@DownGoesBrown) January 30, 2015

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

9 losses in a row now... 1-0 loss to Philly.

Worst month in franchise history, lowest scoring, least wins (1 in 13) etc etc...

Going back to late december, its a 3-16-1 in 20 games.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

Let the countdown to mathematical elimination begin !

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I don't mean to pile on or make fun of the situation...........but I haven't see a team with such a poor offensive performance in 50 yrs of watching hockey.

This is just unbelievable in today's game that is so offence minded.

Santorelli back to the Canucks for Kassian and Higgins?
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
If ever there was a time for a team to do A FULL REBUILD that time is now for Toronto.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by WNGFAN 1:

If ever there was a time for a team to do A FULL REBUILD that time is now for Toronto.

the problem is, look how the team was doing prior to their skid...sure, their record was better than their play, but they just can't get anything right now...honestly, i haven't watched a game in about 6 weeks...earlier in this thread, i mentioned i watched "most" of a game (whatever game it was)...that was the last game i watched...i simply can't be bothered to waste my time watching shinny hockey.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
So keep trying to just make the playoffs and hope things will all of the sudden just get better? How many years have they been taking this approach?
Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Toronto should be the busiest team at the trade deadline this year. Try to get rid of some of those long term contracts and stock the cupboard with lots of high draft picks and do a true rebuild. No one's job should be safe.It will take time but it needs to be done.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by WNGFAN 1:

Try to get rid of some of those long term contracts and stock the cupboard with lots of high draft picks and do a true rebuild.

That will be pretty difficult to do for a couple of reasons:

1) the long term contracts are for some pretty serious money
2) the 6 biggest on the team all have NTC/NMCs attached to them

If you are another team, are you sure you want to take on Kessel (7 more seasons @ $8M cap hit), Lupul (3yr @ $5.25M), Clarkson (4yr @ $5.25M), vanRiemsdyk (3yr @ $4.25M), Bozak (3yr @ $4.2M), Phaneuf (6yr @ $7M) or Gardiner (4yr @ $4.05M)? All but the last have the clause, but the others......if I'm another team, I'm getting Toronto to sweeten the deal to take the contract, not trading a first rounder/prospect/roster for them.

As a competing GM, I'd be interested in van Riemsdyk, Gardiner and possibly Bozak, but other than that the players are signed for too long, too much, get injured too much or don't interest me.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1

said by Kardinal:

As a competing GM, I'd be interested in van Riemsdyk, Gardiner and possibly Bozak, but other than that the players are signed for too long, too much, get injured too much or don't interest me.

It's a start. Man I didn't realize what a mess this team is really in. Yikes!!!!
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to Kardinal

to Kardinal
A lot of these guys were signed to these deals with the expectation that by year 4 of these deals the cap would be approaching $90M.

With the Canadian dollar, which represents 25% of NHL revenues dropping like loon that's been shot down, revenues are in trouble. The NHLPA is rumbling about escrow and not increasing the cap next year. I've heard it could be $70M which give the Leafs no room for some of the guys that need to be signed, like Franson and Bernier.

They are handcuffed big time by some of these deals and misprojections on where the team really was and where the cap would be going.

$7M and $8M deals look a lot better when the cap is $90M than when it's stuck at $70M for a while.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
I realize the NHL and CHL are two different leagues but the Leafs need to look no farther than down the 401 at the London Knights and the Hunter brothers system for developing players while at the same time being very competitive year in and year out. Mark Hunter is already working for the Leafs so give him whatever power it takes to start building from the bottom up. Bring in Dale put him behind the bench and go from there.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

Rumours that I've heard have Mark Hunter as the next GM when Nonis gets canned sometime between Saturday, April 11th and Monday, April 13th.

I personally wouldn't give Nonis another day in the job at this point. Not that he'll be able to move much at the deadline, but why even give him the chance to make things worse?
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

fmradio68

"but why even give him the chance to make things worse?"

LOL. Can things probably get any worse?
bt
canada

bt to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Worst month in franchise history, lowest scoring, least wins (1 in 13) etc etc...

I think CBC put up a graphic on Saturday that said it was the second worst in terms of percentage of possible points earned (worst was sometime in the 80s, IIRC). I can't see to find that anywhere online, though.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Perhaps, maybe because of that shootout loser point they got...
bt
canada

bt

Well, that would still have been a point for a tie before, right?

Still, when you're trying to figure out if it was the worst or second worst month for a team that has existed for almost 100 years, I don't think it matters too much.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'm just dreading them going on some little streak now, and not dismantling this damn team at the deadline & offseason and just doing a proper rebuild...

It's obviously clear this team the way it's built around the core players, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson, Rielly, they can't win.

You can only blame the coaching staff so much. Much of the same guys were under Ron Wilson, then Randy Carlyle, now poor Peter Horachek who has to steer this titanic and still have some dignity left...

They squeaked into the playoffs in a 48 game lockout shortened season. Had it been a full season, they no doubt would have collapsed.
bt
canada

bt

said by HiVolt:

You can only blame the coaching staff so much.

Coaching was absolutely part of the problem. Carlyle's player usage was horrendous, and we've seen what happens when players go elsewhere and immediately see better results.

But yeah, the problem goes up higher than the coaching. Nonis has to go before you guys do a tear-down. I've got trouble coming up with a list of good moves he made that isn't just "Bernier".
said by HiVolt:

Had it been a full season, they no doubt would have collapsed.

Yep. Starting right around the 54 game, 50 minute mark

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Has Lupul always been a player who gets hurt a lot or is this recent?

FaxCap

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

He's another David Booth.
bt
canada

bt to FaxCap

to FaxCap
He's got a pretty long list of injuries.

»www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bi ··· upul/bio

They're mostly unrelated injuries, but I count 4 concussions in there and that's not good.
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to bt

to bt
I think one if the problems with the Leafs is that they don't have many Ontario guys on the team. Guys that grew up loving the Leafs. Like Cherry said at one time there was no one from TO on the Leafs. They need players with Heart.
bt
canada

bt

Self-limiting your team to a specific geographic area is a terrible way to build a team.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Yep Nonis is a Burke disciple and we just need to purge the organization of that way of thinking....

Speaking of Bernier, he's gonna be a RFA at the end of the season, so they have to either offer him a contract or it'll go to arbitration...

Jethro86
join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON

Jethro86 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
I was thinking to just do an entire swap with the Marlies and Leafs. Send all them over priced bums down to the minors where they belong and bring up some hungry kids. Not like it's going to be any worse and might actually see some good hockey.