uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: 2014-2015 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

said by ZZZZZZZ:

36 points merits a $4million plus per year contract for 5 years?

Paying purely based only on point production is a far bigger sin. That's how you get David Clarkson at 5.25 per year for 7 years.

If you're evaluating forward signings just based on points, I would say you're doing it wrong.

Kadri is one of the few Leafs players that has shown some ability to actually control the play at times rather than just rushing up the ice to try to score.

Frankly, I'd love it if the Leafs undervalue him enough to alienate him.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
If you're evaluating forward signings just based on points, I would say you're doing it wrong
And I'm of the opposite mind...........I think all salaries should be based solely on point production and the +- ratings,with bonuses for extra production.

It would create a more balanced incentive for the lazy shits that skate around center ice looking for a breakaway pass.

It'll never happen that way because of the player's union but it would balance things out with the overpaid and underpaid players.

I watch most games with the Leafs and Canucks just as an example of 2 teams that have an excess of overpaid prima donnas ,who don't give a crap about anything except collecting their salary.

These 2 teams don't even belong in the same league as the top tier teams and it shows when they play each other too.

The Leafs are funnily enough in a better position than the Canucks because of the probable high draft pick that they'll be getting...........wheras the dummy Canucks will probably /maybe squeeze into the playoffs and promptly lose 4 straight.

Why would anyone in their right mind pay to watch these clowns,when any jr hockey is 10 times more exciting and well worth the price?
bt
canada

bt

said by ZZZZZZZ:

And I'm of the opposite mind...........I think all salaries should be based solely on point production and the +- ratings,with bonuses for extra production.

Did a shutdown D run over your puppy as a child? Stub your toe on the Selke Trophy once? Just don't like two-way players?

You're basically describing how the Leafs have been trying to build their team before this year. It hasn't worked out very well.

You're also describing how the Oilers have been trying to build their team. Similar levels of success as Toronto.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Tough to do with D-men.
said by ZZZZZZZ:

These 2 teams don't even belong in the same league as the top tier teams and it shows when they play each other too.

Geez, the Canucks have the best road win % in the NHL! Give them some credit.

And yet the league is closer to parody than ever. In the Eastern conference the
spread between 1st and 7th is 8 points. Between 8th and and 12th is 10 points.
In the Western Conference 1st and 4th is spread 7 points. Between 5th and 12th is 11 points.

The wild card races may come down to the last goals score of the year.

FaxCap

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
Geez, the Canucks have the best road win % in the NHL! Give them some credit.
Any bets on them beating the Ducks tonight?

Without Lack standing on his head every game ,they'll lose.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to bt

Premium Member

to bt
said by bt:

said by ZZZZZZZ:

How is this clown still on the team?

Because he's been one of the best Leafs players this season?

I've seen scratching him tonight referred to as "one of the more subtle tanking moves", which is pretty much dead on.

Not to mention that Polak is conveniently out for the season with hernia surgery. Not saying that he's not hurting, but there's also rumours of shutting down Robidas for the year too.

Plus, they did keep Dion out for a suspiciously long time.

Just saying.

And yes, Kadri is the best two way centre on the team, maybe even the best two way player period. He is a good, young player.

I believe his benching tonight is more of a message of "We want you to be one of the leaders on this team in the future. It's time you held yourself to a high standard if you want to stick here during this rebuild."

I think the current Leafs brass (Remember, Hunter was his OHL coach) want Kadri to stay and build around him. They're not going to lose sleep over losing Bozak in the offseason, and they are grooming Kadri to step into the #1 centre role.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Any bets on them beating the Ducks tonight?

It's a home game...the odds got worse.

FaxCap

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

I think the current Leafs brass (Remember, Hunter was his OHL coach) want Kadri to stay and build around him. They're not going to lose sleep over losing Bozak in the offseason, and they are grooming Kadri to step into the #1 centre role.

and the Hunter's benched him in junior too.

i'm not saying what Kadri did was right (he needs to show up), but he's a young millionaire, and young rich kids do stupid things...it's a maturing process, and he screwed up...it's also quite possible (like you said), the team is keeping him out to help tank (unofficially).

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

They, the TML, don't have to keep Kadri out to tank, do they? Look what happened against the Blues. They should have benched the entire team after that. This looks like a ticky tacky excuse against Kadri.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
James Mirtle agrees with me about Kadri.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 3382256/

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Geez.....Leafs can't win even when they play great.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Buggers got a point last night. But they should have won that game. Blew 2-0 and 3-1 leads.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

James Mirtle agrees with me about Kadri.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 3382256/

Kadri needs to mature and man up, but i don't really see him as a leader on the team...the Leafs have lacked a real leader since Gilmour and Clark...Sundin was mediocre at best (as a leader)...Phaneuf is not a leader...that isn't a slight against any of those players, just don't have that "stuff" that real leaders have...think of Messier, Yzerman, Crosby and Toews...those players have that something special about them that makes them great Captains.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
So who is planning on watching "The Toilet Bowl" between the Leafs / Sabres tonight?

I'll watch it on the iPad while I do some reading but I'm not sure which will put me to sleep faster, the game or the documents that I have to review

NefCanuck

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

And Kadri will sit two more games.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 3403257/

Ok... That's an obvious tank move. They desperately want to be in the top 4.
bt
canada

bt

Well, they're tied for that with 2 games out of hand on Carolina right now.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Wow, two more games... thats pretty harsh. But yeah, that'll teach him.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Looks like they're aiming for Mitch Marney. Just speculation, but I'm guessing Hunter and Dubas might have some heavy influence on this draft. Manner would be pretty high on both their lists.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i assume you mean Mitch Marner (of the London Knights)?

»www.eliteprospects.com/p ··· r=223194

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yes of course. Autocorrect strikes again.

Looks like the tank in really in.

Appears Joffrey Lupul has been dropped to 4th line. Replaced on Kessel unit by Joakim Lindstrom.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

ugh... Leafs win in a shootout... Points they do NOT need.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by HiVolt:

ugh... Leafs win in a shootout... Points they do NOT need.

You guys are NEVER happy!

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'm not happy when the season is lost and these idiots aren't tanking properly.

The only time we tanked in recent memory was when burke gave #2 pick away. We tried so hard not to tank then, but we failed.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Seems even the mascot wants to get away from this train wreck.

»www.intrepidreporter.ca/ ··· e-traded

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Three games for coming 20 minutes late? If they really wanted to punish him they make him play. Plus its hard to know what Shanahan is talking about when don't know what Kadri is being punished for besides being late.
I really don't blame the payers. The Leafs organization is a disaster from top down and dysfunction always begins at the top.
With that level of inefficiency in the Organization, and no incentive financially to make any meaningful changes, I can't see the TML attracting any real talent. Who would like to play in that poisonous atmosphere.
Personally if I was Kadri I'd get the hell out of Dodge.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by capdjq:

said by HiVolt:

Three games for coming 20 minutes late? If they really wanted to punish him they make him play. Plus its hard to know what Shanahan is talking about when don't know what Kadri is being punished for besides being late.
I really don't blame the payers. The Leafs organization is a disaster from top down and dysfunction always begins at the top.
With that level of inefficiency in the Organization, and no incentive financially to make any meaningful changes, I can't see the TML attracting any real talent. Who would like to play in that poisonous atmosphere.
Personally if I was Kadri I'd get the hell out of Dodge.

Funny thing is, if you listened to the local sports radio station this morning (Fan 590) they were talking up the fact that Shanahan made a point of saying that "There were other issues leading up to this" when asked why a three game suspension, but then says nothing about what those issues were.

To me this seems a bizarre way to handle any off ice issues *unless* this is a ham handed way of bringing these things to light before they go to arbitration with Kadri (who is an RFA) because if Kadri's position is "max money, max term" and the Leafs are like "GTFO" then this is going to arbitration.

As an aside as good as Kadri has shown himself to be *at times* I would have serious issues if the Leafs just give him a massive deal. Getting burned by Gardner who showed all sorts of upside before signing his deal and then disaapearing, makes me wary...

NefCanuck

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Again, guys. This 3 game suspension has NOTHING to do with Kadri showing up 20 minutes late.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by shaner:

Again, guys. This 3 game suspension has NOTHING to do with Kadri showing up 20 minutes late.

That may well be, but then why did the Leafs themselves say "There are deeper issues here than being twenty minutes late" and then not say what these issues were?

The Leafs either should have kept the matter "in house" and offered up no further comment (whether it leaks or not is another issue) or given Kadri a public flogging for everything. This half in / half out approach makes Leafs management look like a goddamn gong show.

Wish me luck, going down to the ACC on March 23rd to see this gong show live...

NefCanuck
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to shaner

to shaner
I believe it may be a question about his attitude.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
Hopefully David Booth will be a healthy scratch by then so that they can tank properly.