uniqs

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Thingamajig

to Thingamajig

Re: 2014-2015 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

said by Thingamajig:

Watch for Nonis to resurface in Calgary in some capacity. Him & Burkie are tight.

Yes, he will end up where he started....stirring Burke's coffee and tying his shoelaces!

FaxCap

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

Wow again.....sure hearing rumours Mike Babcock will become coach & GM in TO.

FaxCap

Babcock for coach and Shero for GM. That's what I'd like to see.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Why would anyone with half a brain go near that team and the clusterfuck players and media?

There are only 3 or 4 players that are worth keeping...........you'd have to implode the whole team.

Babcock has to be smarter than that.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
There might be about 20 more guys they want to fire.....
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
I think a lot of Leaf fans think Mike Babcock coming to Toronto makes them an instant contender. The Red Wings have been in rebuild mode for the last couple of years now and Babcock has just looked average to a lot of people around these parts. Rumors are that if Babs departs the head coach of the Wings AHL team Jeff Blashill would take his place which IMHO would be a good move. Sometimes change is good.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Because Babcock loves a challenge and the upside is legendary status.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well no surprise in cleaning house...

They gotta get rid of some of these players now, and get something decent for them...

I hope Shanahan can find some right people for the job, and rebuild properly, even if it means sucking for a few more years...

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

2 recommendations

Kardinal to dirtyjeffer0

Mod

to dirtyjeffer0
Go to Toronto and live with the media headache, corporate infighting and organizational ineptitude, or go to Buffalo, get a young team with a ton of prospects (including either McDavid or Eichel) and be allowed to build the team rather than be expected to achieve instant success because the fan base demands it?

My money, if Babcock actually moves, is on Buffalo not Toronto. He's got a better chance of success there IMO and a single owner with tons of money to deal with rather than a corporate juggernaut with rival businesses as joint owners.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Kardinal:

Go to Toronto and live with the media headache, corporate infighting and organizational ineptitude, or go to Buffalo, get a young team with a ton of prospects (including either McDavid or Eichel) and be allowed to build the team rather than be expected to achieve instant success because the fan base demands it?

My money, if Babcock actually moves, is on Buffalo not Toronto. He's got a better chance of success there IMO and a single owner with tons of money to deal with rather than a corporate juggernaut with rival businesses as joint owners.

all valid points...i do like the "vision" Shanahan seems to have (pull no punches, toss people who need to go), but it is a media circus and ownership mess.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I don't like the NFL, but I do like their policy of no corporate ownership... I wish the NHL would do that..
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

Because Babcock loves a challenge and the upside is legendary status.

He also wants to (significantly) raise the bar for how much coaches get paid in the NHL.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Kardinal:

all valid points...i do like the "vision" Shanahan seems to have (pull no punches, toss people who need to go), but it is a media circus and ownership mess.

Does Shanahan really have full control of daily operations or are "the suits" still calling the shots at the end of the day?
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

said by WNGFAN 1:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Kardinal:

Does Shanahan really have full control of daily operations or are "the suits" still calling the shots at the end of the day?

Depends on who you listen to. My understanding is that the "suits" have finally accepted the fact that the organization is falling apart, and have bought into Shanahan's long-term to rebuild. We'll see if they stay out of his way.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I don't like the NFL, but I do like their policy of no corporate ownership... I wish the NHL would do that..

The NFL can afford to do that because the money is flowing like water from TV deals and ancillary revenue, they can set any sort of rules they like regarding "membership in the club"

The NHL isn't at that stage yet (or as a cynic would say - when they see the definition of "conflict of interest" they ignore it blithely)

NefCanuck

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
quote:
My money, if Babcock actually moves, is on Buffalo not Toronto.
Really,you'll have either Eichel or McDavid plus Evander Kane and if anyone can get Kane to tow the line Babcock can.

Plus any number of draft picks that they've got.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

In Toronto, under a continuous microscope, not good for a Coach of Babcock's pedigree plus a rookie in Shanahan, who knows how he will perform. Buffalo, a lousy place to live, even if you have money. Wait for a better opening, say - St Louis or San Jose.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to dirtyjeffer0

Mod

to dirtyjeffer0
Here's a thought:

Would Babcock want to work for a player he used to coach (ie/ tell what to do)? I hadn't stopped to think about that until now, but it could be a bit of a friction point with Shanahan, the former player, being his new boss' boss if he took the coach's job in Toronto.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

said by Kardinal:

Here's a thought:

Would Babcock want to work for a player he used to coach (ie/ tell what to do)? I hadn't stopped to think about that until now, but it could be a bit of a friction point with Shanahan, the former player, being his new boss' boss if he took the coach's job in Toronto.

That would entirely depend on their relationship when he coached Shanny. If they had a solid relationship, and mutual respect, it would probably be a non-issue.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to capdjq

to capdjq
Or just stay where he's at working for the Illitch's

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
It also depends if Babcock will be involved in more than just coaching.

It would be interesting if they'd give him Coach/GM duties if he wanted more control in how the team is rebuilt, with Hunter/Dubas sharing assistant GM duties and doing much of the behind the scenes stuff, with Shanny overlooking the whole operation.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Caught a bit of the Shannahan presser...

If he wasn't reading from a script prepared by the suits above him, I'll eat my hat.

He's now the head "meat puppet" for this ownership cabal of doom and he knows it.

Couldn't even be bothered to learn how to pronouce the name of the coach that he'd fired on Sunday.

"Nuclear Winter" in Toronto for the next few years I reckon...

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

If he wasn't reading from a script prepared by the suits above him, I'll eat my hat.

i disagree...my guess is he's wanted the gut the team and start over (properly) for a while now, and now has the nod from ownership to build this team properly from the start, starting at the top...we've talked about it before, how in the new NHL, you MUST use the draft and develop your own players...Boston, Chicago and LA all have teams built in such a way (i guess you could include Pittsburgh, and a few new youthful teams this year), and have flourished in this cap era...trading away picks, a string of bad trades/signings, etc have really hurt this team long term.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
So Mitch Marner with the #4 pick, I think it's a great pick!(Of course I'm from London so naturally I'm biased! Haha! Lolz!)

I don't follow hockey as much as I do the NBA/Raptors, how are the rest of the Leafs picks so far?

Also any good trades they did? Cheers! :P! ! !

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

you can sift through the draft here:

»www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/draft

no trades that i know of yet.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
»www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/ ··· enguins/

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded Phil Kessel to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In return Toronto gets centre Nick Spaling, forward Kasperi Kapanen, defenceman Scott Harrington, plus first- and third-round picks from 2016.

The Leafs are also sending forward Tyler Biggs, defenceman Tim Erixon and 2016 second-round pick to Pittsburgh.

huh_wha
join:2015-04-12
Canada

huh_wha

Here's to Pittsburgh finishing dead last in 2016, and the Leafs right in front of them... that way Edmonton can win the draft lottery.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to GoRaptors

Premium Member

to GoRaptors
What the fuck.... who the fuck are those guys... the Leafs got hosed.

I was hoping that Babcock would be able to get Kessel going.

Omg, i just read that the Leafs retain $1.2M of Kessel's salary for 7 years... What the fucking fuck... They traded him at his worst value... Shanny FAIL.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

the Leafs moved a pile of cap money, and in return, get some quality prospects and picks.

it's called rebuilding your team...something the Leaf's haven't done properly in decades.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

What the fuck.... who the fuck are those guys... the Leafs got hosed.

I was hoping that Babcock would be able to get Kessel going.

Omg, i just read that the Leafs retain $1.2M of Kessel's salary for 7 years... What the fucking fuck... They traded him at his worst value... Shanny FAIL.

Considering that I honestly thought they'd have to eat at least three million if they traded either Kessel or Phaneuf, I'd say the money part is a win by the Leafs.

The real issue is the bodies the Leafs got back from Pittsburgh. Can they be useful pieces on a rebuilding team under Babcock?

That's the real $64M question...

NefCanuck

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I guess after thinking it over a bit, I guess its ok.. I am just surprised that they still had to take on part of his salary.