spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Methodical2
join:2007-07-29
Clinton, MD

Methodical2

No sound from HD channels

I installed an HD box on my Mom's TV (Vizio VL470M - 2009 model, HDMI 1.3v), but I could not get sound from many of the HD channels. If I reboot, I'd get sound on the channels for a short period of time; if I left the channel and came back there would be no sound. I figured it was a bad cable, so I tried a couple different HDMI cables and they all responded the same. So, I called Verizon and they did a line test and no issues. To verify that the cables were not the problem, I connected one of the other HD box to another TV (TV is a 2013 model) using one of the same HDMI cable and all the HD channels had sound. So, to eliminate all possibilities, I connected the HD box, via component cables, and now all HD channels have sound. I notice these HD boxes are the older version and require an update to view the newer MPEG 4 channels - can't get channel 633 (Pets Tv), which is listed as one of the newer MPEG 4 channels.

What could be the problem? I am thinking that it could be either that the Vizio has the older HDMI 1.3v or the change to MPEG 4 is not allowing many channels to reproduce sound with the older HDMI technology. What's your thought? Either way, I will be ordering the new boxes for them and will try the HDMI cables to see if I get sound from the HD channels with the newer boxes.

Thanks...Al
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

Check to see if the TV has the latest firmware by visiting Vizio's website. At least half the HDTVs from that era issued new firmware updates to fix issues like HDMI handshaking as well as PCM and Dolby Digital audio incompatibilities.
Methodical2
Clinton, MD

Methodical2

Thanks. I will check
Methodical2

Methodical2

Update: Just checked and there are no updates.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to Methodical2

to Methodical2
You might review this thread: »[HD] Sony Vizio and FIOS audio cutting out .
Methodical2
Clinton, MD

Methodical2

Thanks PJL. I reviewed that thread and it's interesting, especially because I have 4 Vizio Tvs and not one of them ever had this issue with HD sound. I hope the upgraded HD boxes solves the issue.
Methodical2

Methodical2 to PJL

to PJL
I forgot to mention that the Tv is full HD (1080P), however, when I connected the Tv with the HDMI, the FIOS setting had 1080i as an HD choice and not 1080P like on my Vizio Tvs, so something strange is going on. I will get those newer boxes and report back my findings.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Methodical2:

I forgot to mention that the Tv is full HD (1080P), however, when I connected the Tv with the HDMI, the FIOS setting had 1080i as an HD choice and not 1080P like on my Vizio Tvs, so something strange is going on. I will get those newer boxes and report back my findings.

The specific post you should look at also is the following:

"I have a vizio and had audio dropout problems when connected with HDMI in the past. The following fixed it. Not sure if this will work for you, but you can try.

Power off the Set top box.
Hit Select
Hit Menu
You will see a white screen and an all text menu called USER SETTINGS. Use the arrow keys to move around.

Scroll down to a line that says "ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS" and hit a right arrow to get into the next level of the menu

There is a sound setting called AUDIO OUTPUT It says AUTO Scroll to it and change it to L-PCM.

Exit out of the menus, power the unit off and power it on again."

You mention "older version" STBs. If you mean 6XXX STBs, they cannot process MPEG4 channels; if you mean 7XXX STBs, they can process the MPEG4 channels. But neither outputs 1080p. Only the new Quantum STBs (VMS and remotes boxes) they do have 1080p output.

celticpride
@173.60.210.x

celticpride

Anon

Dont worry about the vizio being hdmi v 1.3 all new hdmi codegs are backward compatible ,also dont worry about the 1080p,most tvs are 1080p but almost all programs are only broadcast in either 1080i HD 720p HD,or 4080i sd But you can get 1080p HD when watching a blu ray movie on a blu ray player!
Methodical2
Clinton, MD

Methodical2 to PJL

to PJL
Yeah I did see that one and I will have to give that a try. Also, I did find out that only the Quantum have 1080p output

Thanks again
Methodical2

Methodical2 to celticpride

to celticpride
Yeah I forgot about that. I just got so focused on 1080p because I have Quantum and it has the option. Also, I finally got a hold of Verizon and found out that they do have the latest HD boxes, so we are good there.

Thanks