Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

3 edits

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Apps] Anyone else having issues with the most recent Gmail app?

I'm on my S4 running 4.4.2. I have the most recent Gmail app. When I get an email, I pull down the notification screen and tap on the email. The Gmail app opens and I can read the email. However, if I delete the email, it goes back to my inbox, but will not show any of the messages in my inbox. All I see is a spinning circle instead of my saved emails. I did a factory reset that did not solve the issue.

Anyone else having problems, or have a suggestion? Could the newest Gmail app have a bug like this? Thanks.

Edit: I discovered that this only happens when the Gmail app is not running. If it is running, my inbox messages show up after deleting the new message.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

its not happening on my G3 will test my S5 and Nexus 5 later today

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks GLIMMER. I just cleared the App Data for Gmail and the problem is solved!

Going through these steps helped a lot to get Gmail syncing properly:

»support.google.com/mail/ ··· 27?hl=en
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer

Re: [Apps] Anyone else having issues with the most recent Gmail app? -Solved

K9 mail is a great (better) alternative IMHO.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
lordpuffer

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I thought that clearing the App Data fixed it, but it's doing it again. It has to be a bug in the app or another running app that is causing it to conflict with Gmail. I already did a factory reset, so that was like uninstalling and reinstalling Gmail (I believe this is correct, but maybe not).

It doesn't seem to be the phone; everything else works fine. I hope Gmail is updated soon and it gets fixed.

Edit: The only thing I did do is change my Gmail password the other day due to the Gmail password dump. I had to sign in again with the new password on the phone. I'm getting email so I am signed in. I don't even know if that could have caused the issue.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

FWIW, I had an issue with the phones (LG) supplied email app. and their solution was to install and use K-9 mail instead . They said it was a known issue and wouldn't be fixed anytime soon.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I'll give it a couple of days to see if the problem is Google's mail servers. Now it's getting difficult to even pull up my inbox when I open the app. If the problem is not resolved in a couple of days, I'll try K-9 Mail. Thanks.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer

Re: [Apps] Anyone else having issues with the most recent Gmail app?

No problems at all as I never use it.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2

Re: [Apps] Anyone else having issues with the most recent Gmail app? -Solved

Does K9 support Gmail's labels ? I use K9 for my work email but since I don't use labels on that account, I see nothing label-related in K9 (figured it may show up if enabled).

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

I installed K9 and I like it. It works fine. I had to go into Settings > Applications > Gmail and turn Gmail off, otherwise, I get an email twice (once in Gmail, and once in K9). Hopefully that was the correct thing to do.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Two (different) options:

1) Uninstall Gmail
2) Settings, Accounts, Google, uncheck Gmail (it won't sync your Google mail this way)

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks Hall, there is no option to uninstall Gmail, and since I turned Gmail off, it no longer even gives the option under Accounts to not sync Gmail (Gmail icon in Apps is gone also). As long as turning Gmail off was okay, everything seems to be working fine.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I looked in the same place as you indicated and see no "off" option. There's "Disable" or a checkbox for "Show notifications".

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Re: [Apps] Anyone else having issues with the most recent Gmail app?

I turned my Gmail app back on and ticked the "sync" box. For some reason, it's syncing properly again. I uninstalled K-9 mail, which I could never really figure out anyway.