spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dark_star
join:2003-11-14
Louisville

dark_star

[Internet] Zoom 5341J - both blue lights flashing

Went to bed 1:30 AM last night and all was fine. Got up this morning and first thing I noticed was that both blue lights are flashing.

Zoom documentation and Google both says this means negotiating a bonded upstream and downstream channel (separate blue lights for up and down stream). The odd thing is that the Zoom connections status page says that all is normal. 8 locked channels down, 4 locked channels up.

I checked the hidden Zoom event log an hour ago, and I cleared the log of the ever present start up errors (I unplug the computer and modem when I go to work). Despite that both blue lights continue to blink, no errors have been logged in the past hour.

Speedtest is perfectly normal at 22.56 down, 2.33 up.

I know the obvious thing to try is a modem reboot. But since the connection is working I'd rather not find out the hard way that a reboot will leave me with no service on a Sunday morning.

Anyone else who is reading this in Louisville having this problem?

Any suggestions, besides a reboot, from anyone?
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Apparently, there was a bug with a firmware that cause blue lights to continuously blinking even the modem already locked downsteam/upstream channels. Basically, its normal for now and TWC might release new firmware update that fix blinking blue light bug. Until then, enjoy blinking blue light! Or if you like.. Put black tape on it

dark_star
Louisville

dark_star

said by PowerMac:

Apparently, there was a bug with a firmware that cause blue lights to continuously blinking even the modem already locked downsteam/upstream channels. Basically, its normal for now and TWC might release new firmware update that fix blinking blue light bug. Until then, enjoy blinking blue light! Or if you like.. Put black tape on it

Could be. I guess I will find out when I reboot the modem tomorrow. For now, it shows software version 5.5.4.9J, which is the same that was installed out of the box when I bought it 11 months ago.

Perhaps if I get used to ignoring flashing blue lights, I can finally take up the thug life.

thomasr
join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC

thomasr to dark_star

to dark_star
I own the same model and can say that mine is not acting the same way. Last month when mine was switched from 4x1 to 8x4 it just changed what colors the US and DS lights up. It should be solid instead of flashing (flashing only when setting up the connection).

Hitting the reset button and holding it approx 20 seconds (until you see all the lights flash) and then releasing it will force a factory reset. It will also reset any passwords you have modified. I do that when I want the modem to take a few minutes while booting to scan through the different frequencies.

I've noted with my modem that it will often lock in on the same channel map after a certain amount of time. Its never anything like 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 its always mixes them up. So when there are channels that seem to be having a lot of uncorrectables, I will reset the modem and see if it will re-order the channels that are not giving errors towards the top. Just turning off/unplugging the modem does not seem to make it do anything except quickly re-establish the connection as it was before to the same channels it was previously connected.

Overall a great modem when compared to the 6141's I tried. They do seem to be able to keep a steady connection in situations where the 6141's that I tried could never keep going more than a few hours at a time before having T3/T4 timeouts or uncorrectables through the roof. The 5341J does log these events, but only ever so often.

They seem like they are more tolerable of issues - which is what may be going on with yours. It is seeing something that may not be correct, but still working like a champ anyway.

dark_star
Louisville

dark_star

said by thomasr:

Overall a great modem when compared to the 6141's I tried. They do seem to be able to keep a steady connection in situations where the 6141's that I tried could never keep going more than a few hours at a time before having T3/T4 timeouts or uncorrectables through the roof.

Yeah, that's why I bought the Zoom. My 6141 would drop the connection many times every day. No amount of troubleshooting on my end fixed it.

Regarding my blue lights, a modem reboot fixed it. Software version is unchanged, so the cause remains unknown.

toobs
join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

toobs

Open DNS was my problem with my Zoom. After I changed DNS, the Zoom has been solid.