IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Contact lenses vs Glasses

I'm thinking of taking the plunge into contact lenses. What's the pros and cons. What's the sensation. How do they feel.

As for the prescription, it would be for my right eye, left eye is just a Plano lens.

I have a regular eye doctor that works at my regular doctor's office. As for insurance, I'm on my own. One eye exam a year and $100 for glasses every other year.

Glasses can get annoying at times, especially when it rains (wet lenses) or when you are active (working behind a TV or working on the house). They also consume your field of vision.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg

Premium Member

I went to contact lenses about ten years ago and love them. I can see better, don't have the typical glasses problems (fogging, sliding down your nose, pinching your nose). If your prescription allows it then I would absolutely suggest getting them.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I've been wearing glasses since I was 13....I'm 34 now. I first tried contacts when I was maybe 26 or 27 and for me the biggest problem was getting the lenses onto my eye. It literally took me an hour in the optometrists office just to get them both it because I had a really hard time touching my eye. I have astigmatism as well as being nearsighted, so that means I had to have toric lenses which are shaped different than "normal" contacts.

Even when I managed to get them in, there was this feeling of some kind of dirt or other irritation constantly being in my eye and within a few hours of putting them in, my eyes would be blood-shot and painful, so I'd take them out and clean them with lens solution and put them back in two or three times per day. These were disposable contacts, not the "long wear" types.

I tried several different brands that the optometrist gave me to sample, and I had the same problem with all of them, so after I went through my supply of contacts, I went back to my glasses and have never used contacts again. To me, they were a bigger PITA than my glasses were.

My advice, get a sample lens from your optometrist and see how you do with them over the course of a couple weeks before you decide to order significant amount.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
If contact lenses fit properly, they should be imperceptible. The only time you should feel them is when you put them in and take them out. You didn't mention your Rx, so depending on that, it could be easier or more difficult to fit you. And yes, the peripheral view you get with contacts beats glasses hands down. But you have to have a good fit and the right Rx.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
I wear 1 contact, just my right eye. my left is not perfect but it is good for close up while my right eye is not. so the doc said to try it for a few months and see if I am comfortable with "training" my left eye for the close views.

I've worn contacts for 15 years, rarely even wear glasses at all. I do still have an old pair for days I just don't want to wear one, but that is so rare I can't tell you the last time I wore them.

One thing is to ALWAYS make sure your fingers are clean and dry before putting in a contact. and remember to take them out nightly even if they are extended wear. I used to leave mine in for the full 2 weeks, remove them to throw them away the final night, then pop in a fresh pair the next morning. now I have drops I have to do multiple times a day for the next year because my eyes were damaged from lack of air flow.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

If I go shopping for an eye doctor based on price (say my regular eye doctor gets $150 for a contact lens fitting but the ones at LensCrafters/Walmart/Target get get $90) would they have to do the initial eye exam over again to do contacts.

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2

said by IowaCowboy:

If I go shopping for an eye doctor based on price (say my regular eye doctor gets $150 for a contact lens fitting but the ones at LensCrafters/Walmart/Target get get $90) would they have to do the initial eye exam over again to do contacts.

Yes, the Doctor that provides your script would not be able to use another's Doctors exam.

I've worn contacts for 30 years the pluses outweigh the negatives.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by bmilone2:

Yes, the Doctor that provides your script would not be able to use another's Doctors exam.

A script is done by an optometrist or ophthalmologist (both being doctors).

Glasses or contact lenses are provided and fitted by opticians.

An optician should be able to work with a script from any optometrist or ophthalmologist although some additional measurements might be needed....
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Glasses all the way. Go look up "contact lens infection" for nightmare fuel, which can happen even if you do everything right on your end all because the company that made your cleaning solution fucked up »usatoday30.usatoday.com/ ··· ts_N.htm
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

mocycler

Premium Member

said by intok:

Glasses all the way. Go look up "contact lens infection" for nightmare fuel, which can happen even if you do everything right on your end all because the company that made your cleaning solution fucked up

The article you cite, besides being over five years old, relates to problems with the solution, not the contact lens itself. It's a silly, overstretched argument.

I've been wearing contacts for 25 years and have never had a problem. Millions of people wear them and the rate of negative health effects is close to zero. When a patient is injured from contact lens use, it's almost always because the patient fucked up (improper cleaning and care) and not because of inherent risks associated with contact lenses or the solution.

Anyway, to answer the original question, most optical shops will give you a free sample pair of contacts to try out. At first it will be very awkward and uncomfortable putting them in and taking them out, but give it a chance. After a few days it will be second nature.

The biggest downside for me is that I cannot see as well with my contacts as I do with my glasses. It's not enough to make me give up contacts, but it's noticeable.

Also, after about 12-15 hours the contacts start bothering me and I have to take them out. I typically put my contacts on in the morning and then remove them when I get home from work, then wear my glasses the rest of the evening.

These issues are very subjective and things may work out different for you.

Seriously, this is not that big of a decision. Just get a sample pair and give it a try.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to intok

MVM

to intok
I'm glasses all the way since I've had photo grey or a similar coating for over two decades. I don't have to worry about carrying sun glasses or a hat. Now that I'm getting older I don't need the glasses for close up work, just for distance. I should probably go with bifocals, but it is easier just to take them off or look over the top.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I've worn contacts for coming up on 18 years... the technologies that have changed in that timespan have helped me a lot... I have a toric lens in my left eye because of astigmatism, but the latest Purevisions have been very easy to work with and feel great.

Some tips that I have seen or come up with:

1) Do not leave the Dr. office until you are comfortable taking them in and out. it may be a while, you may have a bloodshot eye, but better you be there if it tears or moves on you, than at home.

2) depending on your insurance, (most cover contacts or glasses), if they don't cover all of the contact supply that you want, (usually done in year supply for monthly types) and you have a Costco card (or Sams club, etc.) it might be cheaper to buy them out of network at the wholesale places then file for a reimbursement. e.g. I pay Costco $175 for a year supply, Insurance reimburses $100, so I'm out of pocket $75. My Eye doctor wants $250 for the same supply, and insurance only overs $125 leaving me with $125 out of pocket. 5 Minutes online filing a out of network claim saves me $50

3) I've found that BioTrue solution lasts the longest and helps keep the lens moist longer when it comes to working with computers all day. YMMV so try a couple different solutions and see which one works best for your eyes.

4) As mentioned before... make sure you have clean hands before handling the lenses

5) Also as mentioned before, even if you can wear them overnight, take them out every night... if helps the lenses last longer and let your eyes rest

6) I put a couple drops of fresh solution in each lens before I put it in my eye, it help it settle a bit better in my opinion, especially if you have dry eyes in the morning.

7) If you spend a long day starting at a screen (say a late night gaming session) put a couple drops of solution or Visine contact relief in your eyes before you take them out. this will help prevent tearing.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
If you only have a problem in one eye have you considered getting financed on LASIK for just the one eye?

I'd go with Acuvue Oasis, can't even tell I'm wearing any with a fresh pair, when I start feeling them is when I know it's time for a fresh pair. Been wearing glasses lately because I can't afford them because I have a Astigmatism + right and left are different making it cost around $80 for 6 pairs.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
i hate contacts compared to glasses

I wear them only for hockey and swimming/snorkeling/diving

that being said, I don't like wearing glasses, and am really thinking about the eye surgery

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I have decided to pull the trigger on contacts. One thing to consider is the quality of the practice doing the fitting. My regular eye doctor (who is in a department at my regular doctor's office) does not do contact fittings. I decided not to go with the places that are next to the optical shops at the mall even though they could get me in less than a week and charge only $90. I decided to go with a real eye practice (Eye & Lasik Center) even though they get between $135 and $175 but they most likely do it right and take their time. They're good too as I've dealt with them before with family members. I just have to have my most recent eye exam faxed over since my insurance only pays for one a year.

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

fluffybunny to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
i have semi soft. they are non disposable and if you look after them correctly they are awesome. you need to empty the solution in the cases every day and clean em correctly. that being said you need a month of training before you get used to taking them on or off. the soft lenses are just awful.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 edit

koolman2 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I tried contacts for several years. I could never get them to be comfortable after a few hours. I tried multiple different 2-week lenses (standard), the peroxide cleaning solution, and finally single-use lenses. No matter what I tried, my eyes would dry out after a few hours. I have no issues with glasses.

I gave up. They're not for everyone, and if they're not for you, don't be afraid to admit it.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to mocycler

to mocycler
said by mocycler:

said by intok:

Glasses all the way. Go look up "contact lens infection" for nightmare fuel, which can happen even if you do everything right on your end all because the company that made your cleaning solution fucked up

The article you cite, besides being over five years old, relates to problems with the solution, not the contact lens itself. It's a silly, overstretched argument.

I've been wearing contacts for 25 years and have never had a problem. Millions of people wear them and the rate of negative health effects is close to zero. When a patient is injured from contact lens use, it's almost always because the patient fucked up (improper cleaning and care) and not because of inherent risks associated with contact lenses or the solution.

Anyway, to answer the original question, most optical shops will give you a free sample pair of contacts to try out. At first it will be very awkward and uncomfortable putting them in and taking them out, but give it a chance. After a few days it will be second nature.

The biggest downside for me is that I cannot see as well with my contacts as I do with my glasses. It's not enough to make me give up contacts, but it's noticeable.

Also, after about 12-15 hours the contacts start bothering me and I have to take them out. I typically put my contacts on in the morning and then remove them when I get home from work, then wear my glasses the rest of the evening.

These issues are very subjective and things may work out different for you.

Seriously, this is not that big of a decision. Just get a sample pair and give it a try.

That the solution could be a problem or you could make a mistake on your own.

With glasses you don't run the same level of risk as you do with contacts.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I have been wearin contacts since soft contacts were first time available for my prescription (1984) and I love it.
Bear in mind that not everybody can wear contacts. Also, some prescriptions are very difficult to fit, especially in a situation when you have somewhat dry eyes. I would, certainly for the first time, avoid any discounter and go to an optometrist specialized in fitting contact lenses. The few extra $ are worth it. I would avoid throw away lenses and permanent wear ones. choose those you have to take out for over night, they are the best in the long run ( with some prescriptions, you must have those anyway).
Pay attention to disinfecting/cleaning lenses and to protein removal.
I recommend Oxysept for disinfecting and Ultrazyme for protein removal. They are not easy to get in US ( long story about industry conspiracy) but you can still get them through Rite Aid pharmacy ( we do not have them or on line from drugstore.com.
Over time, you will get used to it; it's faster and easier for me to insert my lenses than to tie up my shoe laces.
Since you will see like a normal person, once you pass 50 you will need reading glasses ( they have bifocal contacts but i have a dim opinion about them ).
You should still keep a spai pair of glasses for the case you cannot wear or just have taken out your contacts.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I have had decent luck with some say in Costco. Cheap price and all they do. Go when not busy so not rushed.
Not needing lasik so no lasik exam price. If they see anything beyond their generic eye exam practice they would refer to full service eye doctor.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It's a full service eye facility, they do more than just Lasik. My mother goes there for her annual eye exams. The MDs are for the Lasik. They have two ODs for general eye services at the office I go to. They also have optical shops their other offices.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Yes on contacts!

The coolest thing about them is peripheral vision. Its so wild to be able to see to your sides when your not used to it.

I advise taking them out every night ( I forget sometimes if ive drank a lot). As others have said they will last longer (6 month supply turns into 1 year supply pretty easily). They also feel better when they get taken out at night (yes sometimes you can feel it on your eye it doesnt hurt or anything its just kind of rough, but a couple drops of saline in your eye fixes that).

Ive never had any infection with the contacts or any other eye related health issue and I wore them through my rowdier dirtier early 20's.

I personally get my contacts online through a place called visiondirect.com, i see an eye DR for a prescription then i scan and email them my prescription, i got them in less than a week. The DR who fits you for contacts will give you a trial pair for free as part of the exam and if you've never worn them before will help you get them in. (its real easy once you figure it out).

Some downsides for me ( i have astigmatism in both eyes so my contacts fit a little differently), but ill get a little blurred vision if my contact rotates wrong through the day (i fix it by touching my lens.... or dropping some saline on it), sometimes I get slight discomfort but its fixed too with some moisture, your normal lens shouldnt have the same issues though.

The best part about having a pair of contacts is.... You dont have to wear them! some days I dont feel like dealing with it so I wear my glasses. Give it a shot for a couple months and see if they are for you, tell the DR you want to try out the trial pair for a couple weeks before you decide to buy a set.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I wear monovision contacts and have been doing so for many years. I have a 1.75X in one eye and a 3.5X in the other. It's the best of both worlds. I have worn bifocal contacts but they aren't perfected. I don't like glasses, since they restrict my vision.

If you want to wear monovision contacts the trick is not to let the practictioner chose the distance lens based on your dominant eye, but rather on the eye with the best corrected vision. Just use a stronger lens on the weak and for close-up.

Binocular or stereovision seems to fall into place rapidly and seems to be less an eye issue and more related to visual processing. Anyone can confirm this processing by covering up one to produce monocular vision and observe that even with one eye, you still have binocular vision. It's not the eye itself, its the brain that does the work.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by coxta:

I wear monovision contacts and have been doing so for many years. I have a 1.75X in one eye and a 3.5X in the other. It's the best of both worlds. I have worn bifocal contacts but they aren't perfected. I don't like glasses, since they restrict my vision.

If you want to wear monovision contacts the trick is not to let the practictioner chose the distance lens based on your dominant eye, but rather on the eye with the best corrected vision. Just use a stronger lens on the weak and for close-up.

Binocular or stereovision seems to fall into place rapidly and seems to be less an eye issue and more related to visual processing. Anyone can confirm this processing by covering up one to produce monocular vision and observe that even with one eye, you still have binocular vision. It's not the eye itself, its the brain that does the work.

what about loss of depth perception?

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Contacts for 15 years straight here. Never missed a day.

I like them much better than glasses for so many reasons. They don't distort and shrink things like glasses, they don't fog up, they don't slip off your face, there's no reflections off them, no pressure points on your ears and nose, they correct your vision all the way out to the edges. They provide a little bit of protection for your cornea from scratching as well, although they're obviously not anywhere near as protective as glasses in that regard.

If they fit well and you keep good hygiene practice with them, it's like having perfect eyes, you completely forget the lenses are there.

As others have mentioned though, you shouldn't wear them while sleeping, there's not as much oxygen available to the eyes when they're shut, and they really don't need the lens in there interfering even more.

The routine of putting them in in the morning and taking them out and washing them before bed is really the biggest downside, but it only takes about the same amount of time as brushing teeth.

fritz43
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14

2 recommendations

fritz43

Premium Member

Slightly OT, but if anyone is facing lens implants for cataracts, do not hesitate. Ask around for the best eye surgeon in your area. That's the hardest part. The actual surgery is a piece of cake. One eye, then the other eye maybe a month later. Will you still need glasses? Quite possibly - that's not what lens implantation is for. But you will be able to see better and, quite importantly, driving at night will no longer a 2001-Stargate-type light show.
Bottom line: just do it.
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson

Premium Member

Agreed! Made a world of difference for me. Best surgeon part is major important, though. A bad one effectively blinded someone I know, and "after the fact" checking revealed a history of problems.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I do have allergies (year round), I wonder if they'll recommend a daily disposable lens.

I do take Zyrtec every day. I don't have issues with dry eye.

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

lew_b

Premium Member

I too have nasty allergies. I also went from glasses to contacts years ago. There were periods of time that I could not wear the contacts due to the allergies (mostly late summer). Had several trips to the eye doc to get eye drops to get the irritation under control. Wound up going back to the glasses during those periods. Not too fun.
I then had laser eye correction. Best $ I ever spent.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Per anynomous: what about loss of depth perception?

I can't precisely quantify it, but I don't notice any. As far as I am concerned my experience is I have normal depth perception. I can shoot baskets with good success. I can fish and cast in a predetermined spot limited otherwise by my skill.