uniqs
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej to whoaru99

to whoaru99

Re: [HSI] Updated terms says you can use your own cable modem

said by whoaru99:

Peace of mind from not having to return the thing or face a huge bill, vs getting blamed for whatever happens in the future because I'd own my own modem.

Well, its not like the thing moves around a lot or easily goes missing, and you will get blamed for it not working because it is your modem, not Charters. Since the modem is now included there's little logical reason to buy your own.

I agree there is really no reason to buy your own anymore. The only reason I still have my own is I had bought several when I was on an old plan that did not include the modem. It still works fine, so I'll keep using it until it dies. When I does, I'll just pick up a replacement from Charter.

If you do still want to buy, I highly recommend the $18 Cisco I mentioned earlier. It's 8x4, so you get full DOCSIS 3.0 speeds. And I think it's more reliable than Motorola. I've never had a Motorola modem last more than a few years. My last SB6120 died within 6 months.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

A good router is a better investment than a cable modem, lots of people don't get advertised speeds based on those than the modems. I upgraded from a "old" buffalo to a new Asus RT-AC68U recently. Went from around 12.1MB/s to 12.9MB/s. Is it worth it for a $150+ vs a $50 router? depends on person.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

Hmm... my $12 Netgear router is far faster than that, even on wireless G. Are you sure you don't have some sort of config or environmental issue limiting your speeds?
Caboosey
join:2006-06-22
Pismo Beach, CA

Caboosey to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I'm so glad to find out they changed. I have been running this petition for months to get them to change it. I guess all of complaining helped.

»www.change.org/p/charter ··· e-modems

I had Motorola SB6141 just sitting in its box at my house waiting to be used. I find out I get 3-5ms ping time improvement (changed from 15ms to 9ms) to my nearest Gateway and I don't have to have huge bulky Charter (Cisco DPC3208C) modem being an eyesore in my house. (IP address and gateway IP didn't changed during the swap)
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99 to markopoleo

to markopoleo
I can see buying a better router if the old one doesnt have adequate throughput, but the cable modem? I just go with separates and let Charter provide the modem part.
Caboosey
Pismo Beach, CA

Caboosey

said by whoaru99:

I can see buying a better router if the old one doesnt have adequate throughput, but the cable modem? I just go with separates and let Charter provide the modem part.

My main router (Watchgaurd Firebox X500 running pfSense) cost me $50 plus about $30 for upgrades (max out RAM and CompactFlash storage). It does very good job. I'm getting better ping times and better speed tests using my own cable modem tells me that Charter's equipment is not always the best choice. As I already saw immediate improvement by swapping out the Charter-owned cable modem.
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I was supplied with a Charter owned modem when i got Charter internet last year so if i decide to buy my own cable modem would i have to have Charter do anything from there end to get the new modem to connect to Charter's network or is it simply plug it in and connect it the computer or router and i'm on the internet?
Caboosey
Pismo Beach, CA

Caboosey

said by Jammers:

I was supplied with a Charter owned modem when i got Charter internet last year so if i decide to buy my own cable modem would i have to have Charter do anything from there end to get the new modem to connect to Charter's network or is it simply plug it in and connect it the computer or router and i'm on the internet?

You just simply buy a cable modem that's on their compliant list preferrable one from the list that can do ALL tier services:
»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· eid=2623

Before powering down the old modem make sure to note down your customer account # as you will need this. Once this is done, swap out the cable modems. Turn on new cable modem and wait for it to fully boot up. Then attempt to go to »install.charter.com and choose "Replace My Equipment", and follow the instructions.

If the page gives you trouble call Charter. Be sure to return Charter-owned cable modem to the nearest Charter office within 30 days to avoid charge for not returning equipment and keep the receipt of the equipment return.
Poetique
join:2007-08-05
Auburn, AL

1 edit

Poetique to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Thank goodness.

With the excessive incompetence of some of the geniuses at the local office who know nothing of Charter's own hardware, my only shot at getting a new modem was pretty much going to be buying it myself.

Now I've just got to find a 6141 in black.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by Poetique:

Now I've just got to find a 6141 in black.

Meh??? Get a Cisco DPC3008
Poetique
Auburn, AL

Poetique

Having never personally owned one and considering I've heard they sometimes have issues with borderline connection specs (which my connection unfortunately qualifies for), I'll pass lol.

Worst comes to worse I'll bust out some paint haha.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Why do you want a SB6141 in black? The retail white version will work just the same. The black version is for MSO use only. You're taking a chance that it might be stolen, blacklisted, etc.
whoaru99

whoaru99 to Caboosey

to Caboosey
said by Caboosey:

said by Jammers:

You just simply buy a cable modem that's on their compliant list preferrable one from the list that can do ALL tier services:
»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· eid=2623

Before powering down the old modem make sure to note down your customer account # as you will need this. Once this is done, swap out the cable modems. Turn on new cable modem and wait for it to fully boot up. Then attempt to go to »install.charter.com and choose "Replace My Equipment", and follow the instructions.

If the page gives you trouble call Charter. Be sure to return Charter-owned cable modem to the nearest Charter office within 30 days to avoid charge for not returning equipment and keep the receipt of the equipment return.

If the install.charter.com page gives you trouble, try using the IP address directly. It's listed in a couple recent threads.

I could not access it by the name address but I could get there using the IP address.
whoaru99

whoaru99 to Poetique

to Poetique
Charter sent me a brand new one in the box. Got it in three days, I think, from when I talked to them on the phone.
Poetique
Auburn, AL

Poetique to B4Knight

to B4Knight
I'm aware that's it's a non-retail box. However, given that I don't have some "hidden" place to put it in, that means I have to look at it. It would be the only white piece of electrical equipment I have in my house, surrounded by a bunch of black (or some shade of that) equipment. Hence, I prefer it in black.
said by whoaru99:

Charter sent me a brand new one in the box. Got it in three days, I think, from when I talked to them on the phone.

I can't seem to get anyone on the phone at Charter who's able to comprehend that my local office apparently doesn't have anyone who even knows how to look at the design or model number of the modem to find me one. So whenever I call, they tell me to go to the local office. I've been 3 times hoping that somebody got fired and was replaced with someone who has a brain, but no dice.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Thats too bad... The people at my local office are usually quite helpful. I guess it varies from place to place. How far away is the next local office from you? Maybe you'll have better luck there?
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to whoaru99

to whoaru99
Why not? You get the benefit of it being yours and can check signals and the like. Plus you can resale it down the line and don't have to worry about turning it back in.
Poetique
Auburn, AL

Poetique to B4Knight

to B4Knight
About 50 miles away unfortunately.
whoaru99

2 edits

whoaru99 to markopoleo

to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

Why not? You get the benefit of it being yours and can check signals and the like. Plus you can resale it down the line and don't have to worry about turning it back in.

I guess I don't see a benefit of any of that. Being able to see the signal levels is sorta neato, but not once has it helped me fix a problem with my Internet service.

If I don't buy one I don't have to concerned with resale. If the Charter one breaks they give me a different one. If I think it's junk I go to the office and exchange it over the counter. For me it's just as far to the Charter office as it is to buy/exchange a modem at a retail store. Yeah, I could order one online but that's more or less what I did with Charter and I didn't have to pay shipping. They sent it FedEx ground.

Turning it back in isn't a big deal. I already have to turn back two STBs. Neither of the STBs nor the cable modem have changed locations in years. It's not like they're going anywhere to get lost/misplaced.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to tbgeo

Premium Member

to tbgeo
You can pre order that modem from amazon. I think they are going to charge a lease fee again.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to 78036364

to 78036364
said by 78036364 See Profile
The Charter modem is free
[/bquote :

no, its not free. the price of the rental is just worked into the price of your service now, so its no longer a line item fee.

Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to kherr

to kherr
The regular $99 that a service call usually costs? You can bet your ass that charter will do everything they can to make sure they blame your modem. So glad I still pay for the old "wire maintenance" fee.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to mdavej

to mdavej
The DPC3008 is an 8/4 channel bonding modem, so it will be fine up to around 300mbps down and 110mbps up.
whoaru99

whoaru99 to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
Yup. The price is baked in somewhere but since you don't get a price break for using your own it's merely semantics as to free or not free.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

no, its not free. the price of the rental is just worked into the price of your service now, so its no longer a line item fee.

Well then Charter really lowered their pricing on internet. Plus used to be $58 and if the $7 fee is worked into the current $50 price that means the internet is actually $43 now. A $15 drop from 2 years ago. Thanks Charter!

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
As with everything else Charter related, this has varied by region. I've always had my own modem. When I cancelled the 100 Ultra plan, I was told I could keep my existing modem or use their modem.

Having said that, if this modem ever fails, I will get a new one from Charter. No reason to buy your own when it's included in the package price.

Jtyet
@199.87.21.x

Jtyet to Poetique

Anon

to Poetique
You went to the Vestevia office 3 times? What did you ask for exactly? I was actually going to go during my lunch today and see if they had the DPC 3216 which someone posted in another thread they got. Its a 16X4.
Jtyet

Jtyet to whoaru99

Anon

to whoaru99
What exactly did you say to them to send you a brand new modem in the box? You went through the national customer service? The reason I ask is I'm trying to get that DPC 3216 that is 16X4 from the other thread and I had no luck they said try local office. I'm just wondering what I need to say to make that happen.

Also if I buy a SB6183 I should be fine right? I'm just trying to go 16X4 and seeing what my options are.
Poetique
Auburn, AL

Poetique to Jtyet

to Jtyet
I no longer reside in the Birmingham area. I just neglected to update my location. Havn't lived there in more than half a decade actually haha.
phydeaux
join:2014-09-26
Louisville, KY

phydeaux to mdavej

to mdavej
said by mdavej:

Thanks for the info. Any word about getting a credit for using your own?

There is no credit. No charge for using theirs, no charge for using your own....but no credit, either.