uniqs
Ernest House
Premium Member
join:2008-08-17
Boca Raton, FL

Ernest House

Premium Member

Is this a modem or provider problem?

Problem: My Mother is in an assisted living facility in 33433. Her cable modem has been installed for 2 months and I installed an old Apple Airport Express access point for wifi. Once a day, the internet would go down and the Express would have to be power cycled. Lately it's been more than once a day so I bought a new Airport Express. I configured it and tested in on the DHCP of my home AT&T internet and the wifi worked fine. However on the cable modem at the assisted living (Motorola SB5100), it gets a 169 address. Hooking my computer directly to a freshly restarted modem, I see the laptop get a 192 IP address and after about 10 seconds, it goes to 169. Neither the old nor the new Express will work at all now. Everything is given a 169 address. Restarting the Cable modem with the express freshly booted does not work either. Any ideas?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Do both of the Apple Expresses still work at your house?
I would replace the cable modem. See if a new white plastic case Motorola SB6141 is on the compatible modem list for the ISP at the facility.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25390001

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· 0AJHDZSI

»www.bestbuy.com/site/mot ··· =7534146
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to Ernest House

Premium Member

to Ernest House
Do not try to get a bargain and buy a used or new black plastic case SB6141. Troubles will result.
Ernest House
Premium Member
join:2008-08-17
Boca Raton, FL

Ernest House to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
Hi, thanks. Both Airport Expresses work fine at home on my Uverse network with an Apple Airport Extreme access point doing DHCP. Mom reported the light eventually went green on the new express so maybe it was just an ill timed outage at the facility. I'll followup tomorrow and argue the case it's their modem's problem not my access point problem.
Ernest House

1 recommendation

Ernest House

Premium Member

EPILOG: After going over there and tracking down an IT person, I showed him the rolling IP address behavior with a laptop connected directly to the Motorola SB5100 cable modem. He then agree a new modem was needed. To his credit, he new what he was doing at that point and it solved the problem instantly. FYI.