All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chrisrut
join:2013-05-12
Norwood, MA

chrisrut

[Equip] Placing DPC3939 in bridged mode?

I recently moved to a town that doesn't have Verizon FioS so I switched providers to Comcast, and they gave me a Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 Voice Gateway Model "DPC3939". I have an Asus RT-N66U with Merlin's firmware that I would like to use as my router, but I am not sure how to configure the DPC3939 to bridge it's connection and disable the DHCP server (I have already disabled wifi, so I've got that much done).

Any tips on how to switch the DPC3939 to bridged mode?
Thanks,
-Chris
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

cheeseman

You have to call in and ask.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to chrisrut

Premium Member

to chrisrut
just buy a SB6141 you'll be happier
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to chrisrut

to chrisrut
DPC3939 and bridge mode do not mix. There are issues that cause it to reset frequently when it is in bridge mode. Run away run away!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by rendrenner:

DPC3939 and bridge mode do not mix. There are issues that cause it to reset frequently when it is in bridge mode. Run away run away!

Yeah, other posters have not have any luck with bridging it:

»[Rant] Is Bridge mode that hard to set?

»[Equip] Desperate Need of Assistance BRIDGING Cisco DCP3939 with Asus RT
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to chrisrut

to chrisrut
If you want to continue leasing a modem and use your own router, see if you can swap the DPC3939 out with a Arris TG862 or a Technicolor TC8305C at a local Comcast service center. At least on our TC8305C there's now an option in the interface to turn bridge mode on.
PrymeMover
join:2000-11-22
Wichita, KS

1 recommendation

PrymeMover to telcodad

to telcodad
My DPC3939 was stable in bridge mode for months before it suddenly started doing the constant reboot cycle thing. I can only assume it was due to a Comcast software/config push. After more than a dozen calls I got tired of dealing with it and just used my backup U-Verse circuit for things double NAT broke. A few months later I called Comcast and asked if the issue had been resolved. I spoke to an absolutely incredible agent that sat with me and tried a number of things, and I can now report that my DPC3939 is running in bridge mode successfully. The trick seemed to be the CSR disabling wireless manually before flipping it to bridge mode. While just enabling bridge will disable the wireless, it seems to work better if done manually beforehand.

My package (250/25) requires the DPC3939 or I would have reverted to my old SB6141. In fact I tried, but that was when I discovered there is no boot file for that modem on the speed profile I had, so I was limited to about 25/5.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by PrymeMover:

... I can now report that my DPC3939 is running in bridge mode successfully. The trick seemed to be the CSR disabling wireless manually before flipping it to bridge mode. While just enabling bridge will disable the wireless, it seems to work better if done manually beforehand.

Very good, thanks for that tip.
said by PrymeMover:

My package (250/25) requires the DPC3939 or I would have reverted to my old SB6141. In fact I tried, but that was when I discovered there is no boot file for that modem on the speed profile I had, so I was limited to about 25/5.

The new Motorola/ARRIS SB6183 16x4 modem should be shipping soon: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· 0MA5U1FW

While the SB6183 is already on Comcast's Approved DOCSIS Devices list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· evid=417 , I don't' know if Comcast has a boot/config file ready for it for use with your Extreme 250 speed tier yet.

See the discussions about it in this thread: »[Equip] sb6183
chrisrut
Norwood, MA

chrisrut

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.
If I purchase a SB6141 as many of you have suggested, how will I hookup my Voice service? I don't see a RJ11 jack on the back of it (per the Pictures on Amazon)

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

The 6141 can't do voice it's just a plain cable modem.

C1K
@70.194.5.x

C1K to chrisrut

Anon

to chrisrut
In that case you'll want to purchase an Arris TM822G EMTA like I did. Got mine for $120 from a reseller on Amazon but last time I checked a month or two ago the price had gone up.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

He should call or visit a service center to verify if comcast allows customer owned Telephone modems in his market. Some do some still do not.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

jm101

said by Jim721:

He should call or visit a service center to verify if comcast allows customer owned Telephone modems in his market. Some do some still do not.

Agreed. And be careful of used eMTA's. Sometimes they are unreturned equipment.
chrisrut
Norwood, MA

chrisrut

Apparently enabling bridged mode is now baked into the FW. I figured this out by reviewing »[Equip] DPC3939 Trouble

I have enabled bridged mode manually, wish me luck

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to chrisrut

MVM

to chrisrut
I have the exact setup as you. It works perfectly in Bridge mode v let me know if you need any help.
chrisrut
Norwood, MA

chrisrut

owlyn,
How long have you had it in this configuration ? When you enabled it did you do so using the new FW or did you go the "contact comcast" route?

Tyler
join:2010-06-04
North East, PA

Tyler to chrisrut

to chrisrut
I'd like to point out that I had my DPC3939 placed in bridge mode last week...I tried doing it manually in the router, as it places a bridge button right on the main screen when you log in...however, I had no luck with this. I couldn't get an IP address from the modem once I enabled it and rebooted it. It required a chat session with comcast and they were able to get it enabled properly on their end.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Tyler:

I'd like to point out that I had my DPC3939 placed in bridge mode last week...I tried doing it manually in the router, as it places a bridge button right on the main screen when you log in...however, I had no luck with this. I couldn't get an IP address from the modem once I enabled it and rebooted it. It required a chat session with comcast and they were able to get it enabled properly on their end.

You have to reboot it a few times.

Tyler
North East, PA

Tyler to chrisrut

to chrisrut
I'm not sure if comcast chat really did anything...because in the end they finally told me to hold a paper clip in the factory reset hole and once it came back up, I had a 24.x IP address rather than a 10.x ip.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to chrisrut

to chrisrut
Some new firmware was pushed out recently to the DPC3939.
It was to address that issue along with a problem with the wifi randomly disappearing.

There was another issue fixed that caused calls from cell phones to go straight to voicemail. This one sems more like a switch issue and not the Dory/EMTA, not sure how.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn to chrisrut

MVM

to chrisrut
I've had it since last Sunday. I was able to put it in Bridge mode using the built-in configuration screens. It was a snap. I may have had to reboot- I forget. The only trick was getting an IPv6 address to my router. I just did my usual procedure:

1. Disable IPv6 in the ASUS. This clears out any old information.
2. Enable IPv6 in the ASUS.
3. Disconnect the Ethernet cable connecting the modem and the router, but do it on the router side (no, I don't know why, but it seems to be important, as it doesn't work the other way)
4. Wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
5. You should have an IPv6 address appear on the ASUS within 10 seconds.
mierwins
join:2004-03-18
Bristol, IL

1 recommendation

mierwins to Tyler

to Tyler
I have a problem with mine in that it will randomly (once every month or two) stop passing traffic even though everything looks fine in bridge mode. I reboot it and no IP is given out, even though my firewall had one before it stopped passing traffic. I can't spend 3 hours on the phone w/ support each time this happens and now saw the bridge mode button in the FW. I couldn't get it to work so I was wondering if someone has the exact steps required to make it work? Previously I've had to factory reset, call tech support and maybe after the 3rd tech they got it right, reboot and then I could get an IP. Sometimes it seems to lock onto a MAC address though and will ONLY give out an IP to a MAC it has not yet seen. Odd, right? I get around this by spoofing the MAC on my firewall interface to get it to give me an IP.

Since this has become quite the regular exercise in the last year I've had the new service (X1) a step by step guide of how to get it to flawlessly dish out an IP would be great. Anyone have that?

Tyler
North East, PA

1 recommendation

Tyler to chrisrut

to chrisrut
I have another thread about this where mine recently stopped giving a WAN IP to my router. The only way I could resolve this was to hold a pen inside the reset hole on the back until the unit reset. No settings were lost and it maintained bridge mode. No logs were available though to see why it happened.

EDIT: This happened for me over this past weekend.

DennisDevlin
@76.109.62.x

DennisDevlin to chrisrut

Anon

to chrisrut
I just went ahead and did it. On the home page of the website on the Comcast router there is a button to enable bridged mode. I attached a PC to the router via an RJ-45 cable, turned off wireless then put the router in bridged mode. I attached the output of the Comcast router to my new Netgear R6700 WiFi router and everything seems to work fine. All DHCP functionality including the DNS provider I prefer to use (OpenDNS) now are provided by my router to wired and wireless DHCP clients. Our Comcast phone service continues to work fine as well.

The only downside is that with a router in bridged mode you can no longer get to the internal website. If that is ever needed I suspect there is a button to restore the Comcast router's factory settings.

Everything seems to be running faster since my new Netgear router is a dual core higher performance router and the wireless coverage is off the charts.

Hope this also works for you.

Dennis

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

10.0.0.1 should work.

DennisDevlin
@76.109.62.x

DennisDevlin