But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

Screen Image is cut off now matter the setting

A friend just got Verizon FIOS TV service. The Box is an HD QIP71001.

The TV is a 25" analog.

So, we're watch a PBS program and the station id "KERA" is cut off, and is only showing "ERA".

I changed the Verizon box Video settings, and could not find a setting that gave the PBS picture without the KERA being cut off, and hence part of the broadcast picture is cut off.

Has anyone using Verizon with an analog TV experienced the picture being cut off, with no apparent way to remedy it? Or, is this inherent, depending on the broadcaster??
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

This happens to me if my TV has it's zoom setting set incorrectly..
Nothing to do with FIOS box in my case

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Unbundled

Premium Member

to Unbundled
An analog TV typically has 5% to 10% overscan. You might be able to go into the settings and change that if the set isn't super old. But then again if the channel is just showing an SD version of the HD channel, then you should be watching it in letterbox format to get the full picture.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to Unbundled

to Unbundled
I used a QIP 6416 and then a QIP 7232 on a 36" RCA analog monitor w/ the composite output from the boxes connected to the composite inputs on the monitor. I also, briefly, fiddled with the composite connection from a QIP 7100 to a 20" SD TV. There is no adjustment on them that affects the SD picture on the composite output from the boxes.

SD channel programming appeared full screen, with no noticeable cropping and HD content showed up letterboxed, with no cropping at the edges. I did notice that the 36" monitor had a little less overscan of the picture than the 20" did.

In general, if a channel has both HD and SD versions, the SD version is side-cropped from the HD frame. If they have the logo pushed out in the HD frame, it could be cut off in an SD frame of the same broadcast.

As arronwt pointed out, if the scan adjustment on the TV itself is set wider, then you could lose more of the outer edges of the frame.