uniqs
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

w7 utlimate to win 8.1

just pulled the iso off the partner site, mounted it with deamon tools. now before I run this, can I just upgrade to the 8.1 and keep everything like normal or not? I need 8 because I need to support it on the consumer level and I do not know much about it. so I need to learn and a vm is not proper for it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by moes:

so I need to learn and a vm is not proper for it.

Why not? It seems like this is exactly what a VM would be "proper" for...
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

it's how I want to learn and to me a vm would not just cut that.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

If you want a physical install I suggest you don't just kill your Win 7 install, and you would need Win 8 Pro to upgrade Win 7 ultimate. You could always burn the iso, and install it to another partition/drive. If you must, shrink your os partition, and install Win 8.1 to the new partition on a dual boot. There always seems to be some problems with upgrades, and I avoid them if at all possible with a clean install always preferred.

My personal preference is to install them to their own drive so I don't have to deal with bootloader locations. I'll disconnect all other storage drives, install the new os, and after all updates are done I'll reconnect the other storage drives. Make sure the drive I want to boot by default is set, and just press f12 on most motherboards to boot the other storage devices at the bios. This allows me to remove any storage device without making another os unbootable.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1000
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

jay608 to moes

to moes
If you are looking to do the full upgrade process but not ruin your setup, then the best way would be to install VMware player or virtualbox, install 7 then do your upgrade.

Not sure what you mean by it's how you want to learn. VM will give you everything you need minus the need for a separate machine and you can fire it up whenever you need.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

If they just want to play with 8.1 they can play with the enterprise trial in a vm. These premade vms are made available for those who want to use IE for development, but also realize they have more features than the standard version.

»modern.ie/en-us/virtuali ··· ownloads