spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ike2
@72.76.213.x

Ike2

Anon

FIOS Installation

What happens when you tell the FIOS installer to hook up the two coax cables coming into the house to the ont box and they only hook up one?
caps620
join:2009-01-18
Central NJ

caps620

Why 2 coax cables into the house ? Standard connection is 1 coax cable from the ONT, then split through an appropriate splitter for the router and STB(s).

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to Ike2

to Ike2
Splitter is your best bet

Ike2
@72.76.213.x

Ike2 to caps620

Anon

to caps620
That is what I had from Cablevision, one line went to the second floor just for the router. My point is that why would Verizon let a coax cable unconnected, especially after I told the installer that I needed both lines connected.
Ike2

Ike2 to tito79

Anon

to tito79
That was Verizon's job.....but I hear that this is Verizon in Action when it comes to "customer service".
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

There is only one connection to the ONT on the outside. Where would you like the installer to connect it to?
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

Maybe he was confused as to what you really wanted? The FiOS ONT / Terminal only has 1 coax output. it then HAS to go into splitters to make it to all the rooms. a two way splitter connected to that ONT with one leg plugged into that upstairs area, and the other leg plugged into the rest of what the installer did is a nice easy fix

Ike2
@72.76.213.x

Ike2 to kevnich24

Anon

to kevnich24
What part of them installing a splitter you do not understand?....like I had with the former cable company.
Ike2

Ike2 to hubrisnxs

Anon

to hubrisnxs
I made the job so much easier (prep job) for the installer that he forgot to connect the TWO cables with a splitter. It was a simple request.....hook up like it is now and the whole house is ready for cable.
sneakaround
join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY

sneakaround

By not hooking up the other coax there were fewer potential problems (e.g loss from too many splitters or signal reflection, ingress and egress from unterminated coax connections)

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Ike2

MVM

to Ike2
Did you get FIOS-TV? If not, then only the coax cable running from the ONT to the Actiontec router is needed. What is the point of connecting the other coax?

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to Ike2

to Ike2
If the installer had no need for the extra cable, he shouldn't have connected it. Ingress problems are caused by such things. Just because you wanted it connected doesn't make him obligated to connect it.

Ike2
@72.76.213.x

Ike2 to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
FiOS Triple Play.
Ike2

Ike2 to Acc708

Anon

to Acc708
When I told him what I want it with the two coax cables.....he did not reject my request.
Ike2

Ike2 to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
Again.......I want it for a separate line for the router and maybe a TV in the future.......like I had with Cablevision.....this is not brain surgery, but probably a typical Verizon Customer Waterboarding.
Light Guy
join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

1 recommendation

Light Guy

As long as the router is where you requested it , there may not be a need for it to have a separate coax.
Splitting the signal does not affect the router the way it does with a cable modem.
In fact as a fios installer I am more concerned with getting all the TVs adequate RF signal, then I am with the RF signal to the router.
So if it means giving the tvs a borderline signal , I`ll save that -3.5 dbs to avoid possible pixelation issues down the road.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude to Ike2

Premium Member

to Ike2
If it was so simple. You do it. Again,tech wasn't going to hook hook up extra cables for what you MIGHT use in the future. Invitation for trouble.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to Ike2

to Ike2
Ike2,
If you stated, "you tell (told) the FIOS installer to hook up the two coax cables coming into the house to the ont box", there is a fairly good chance he did not understand your unclear and mistaken request. He probably figured you were exactly like many customers who have little or no idea how things work and were in fact requesting something impossible, so he ignored you. He probably could have explored your unclear request but for some reason, he did not. He connected it to complete the service which you had ordered. To "tell" someone to do any task is perhaps "rude", to "ask" is more polite even if the person is your employee, which the installer is not.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72 to Ike2

to Ike2
You hook up the other if it's so important. A run down to your big box store and voila.

If I am running a business and you "tell" me to spend $X to hook something up for no charge, which is not generating revenue for my company I think I would politely decline.

I will say my installer went way above what he was supposed to do (connected a new Cat5 versus coax), and I was nice about it though. Got him drinks while he was working and chatted him up. These are hard working middle class people here.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Question is how many stb`s did u have installed?
Expand your moderator at work

Tyler
join:2010-06-04
North East, PA

1 edit

Tyler

Re: FIOS Installation

So, when the Verizon installer left, did the services you ordered work properly for you? Or were you just asking him to do extra work that maybe you weren't totally clear about in exchange for water?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to Ike2

Premium Member

to Ike2
The OP can add the splitter himself. Just open up the ONT and attach a short piece of outside coax and add the splitter. Then connect the two cables to that. Then see if it works without any issues.
gorony
join:2014-08-11
USA

gorony

Maybe I'm being a little slow but I still don't get the OP's request. There shouldn't be any coax coming in to the house from the street attached to the ONT, let alone 2.

If he was asking to hook up a dead drop on the inside leg of the ONT "just in case I want to move the actiontec later" I wouldn't have done it. I have ethernet handoff but if I understand it, the coax out of the ONT would go to a splitter anyway, one leg to the actiontec and other legs to the STBs. If he wants to hook up a dead-drop to that splitter, after I leave with everything that's on my order sheet working, have at it....
Expand your moderator at work