nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

AT&T Forced Plan Change for iPhone 6?

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Currently my wife and I have had iPhones since the beginning. We've been with AT&T for over 10 years and frankly have been quite happy with them.

I went to pre-order at 2:00 AM Central and I AT&T wouldn't let me keep my current plan. (Same problem if I tried to pre-order from Apple directly)

Right now we have unlimited text & voice and share 2gb of data for $93 a month after taxes/fees.

$40 per month for the plan.
$25 per month per iPhone data plan
-$10 "Corporate Discount"
$80 Total + apparently $13 in taxes/fees.

If I attempt to upgrade they claim this plan is "incompatible". Instead of $25 a month per iPhone data plan they attempt to make us pay $40.

Has anyone else seen this? Any success talking with AT&T to keep your current plan?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Just a stab in the dark, but did you select the 2-year agreement option instead of "AT&T Next"?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Yes, the 2 year agreement.

The AT&T Next comes out to be paying the full amount for the device which is most certainly not a deal...

Nevermind, I went through it again now and their message has be updated to explain the $15 increase per line.

My confusion was because our phones were still still on contract, so technically we shouldn't have been eligible for the $15 discount per line and I didn't know I was receiving it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox See Profile
The AT&T Next comes out to be paying the full amount for the device which is most certainly not a deal...
[/bquote :

You realize you are paying the full amount for the phone just the same, just over 2yrs (with interest charges no doubt).

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

You realize you are paying the full amount for the phone just the same, just over 2yrs (with interest charges no doubt).

no...you pay $80/month for the plan regardless of whether you are in contract or not...you can then pay $700 for the phones and not be in a contract, or pay $200 for the phones and be in one.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I do. But I'm not sure you do.

Under a 2 year contract you only pay $299 for example for a $750 phone.

"Next" essentially locks you into a two year contract still, but you're paying full price.

You could pay $299 upfront, and theoretically save $450 if they didn't also add $15 per line to the contract. But it still comes out cheaper to pay the $15 additional per line, for about $360.