uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

1 edit

Rexter

CPU upgrade

I have an MSI MS-7515 motherboard. I'm hoping that I might be able to put a quad core processor. How can I find out what processors it can support?

According to the specs sheet, it can take a core 2 quad, but which one?

»www.prismnet.com/~trag/D ··· 1%29.pdf

Would it take this one?
»www.amazon.com/Intel-Q96 ··· 01D86S3G
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Re: CPU ungrade

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but ... I'm guessing you already checked the MSI website?

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

yea, I see it can take a Core 2 Quad, but there are so many models. Should it be able to take any of them?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

»CPU upgrade worth it?

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Yep it's worth it. The trouble I'm having, is it seems MSI makes several models that come up as MS-7541. I'm not sure if there is a difference. I'm looking this up for a friend who in wheelchair bound, so he can't get down in there it look physically at the mobo. We pulled the model # from the system information page.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Well that is usually all you need, however there's a few more bits of information in the string.
»forum-en.msi.com/faq/art ··· -version
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
For my board there was a PDF file that listed all the CPUs that my can handle specifically by name in a spreadsheet looking list. If MSI has that then you can see specifically which ones it can handle.

Also remember that there often times revisions of a particular MB that can change it's capabilities. For example the old board that I was talking about in the thread referenced has 2 revisions; 1.0 and 1.1. I have 1.0 and that has slightly different specs than the 1.1.

The only way I know of to determine the revision is to physically look at the PCB.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Re: CPU upgrade

Well, I'm going to give it a shot. I just ordered this Q9550. We'll see how it goes.
»www.ebay.com/itm/2516458 ··· IDX%3AIT