spc
Search similar:

uniqs

planetkaren
@184.96.253.x

planetkaren

Anon

[Qwest] CL modem buy one renting or cheaper one on ebay

Total newbie here but smart enough to find this site. I currently lease Q1000z modem/router from Century Link. Want to buy one to save $ and based on this site and one other considering Q1000z instead of c1000a.
QUESTION: should I purchase the Q1000z I'm leasing for $99 or one for $40ish on ebay/Amazon? How hard is it to set up new modem for someone who has no knowledge in that area?
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie

It's not too tricky, it boils down to contacting tech support or someone at the CenturyLink store to get your PPPoE login information, if you don't have it already. After that it's about a 5 minute setup. I've posted more information here:

»Purchase Zyxel Wireless Modem Rather than Lease from Century Link?
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to planetkaren

to planetkaren
Really all you have to do is hard reset the Q1000z when you get it, then it should take you to a walled garden where it will auto configure itself once it gets some details from you.

It's really easy and i'd just buy it offline instead of CL if i were you.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to planetkaren

to planetkaren
Even at $99, you're going to be saving money by buying the Q1000z you're already using pretty quickly, should you choose that route, but if you do buy one online, just buy something Qwest or CenturyLink branded (Going with a Q1000z is a pretty good bet) and as brad152 said, hard-reset it (using the information here) and it'll take you to the walled garden, which sets everything up for you.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to planetkaren

Premium Member

to planetkaren
Like the others said, the Q1000z is pretty easy to set up and work with, as it's all in one.

Personally I would purchase one, and don't be afraid of buying used as long as you get all the cords with it*. You can comparison shop the Q1000z (made by Zyxel) versus the Q1000 model made by Actiontec. Specifications-wise, I believe they are similar.

* If you DO buy used, especially on ebay, read the description carefully - some sellers will sell the unit (slightly cheaper than usual) without the power adapter or antennas. You can get these separately but it drives the price up.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to planetkaren

to planetkaren
eBay is your friend... save yourself the money (most can be bought for $40, if it goes bad you could buy a 2nd one and still be ahead of the game than what it would cost you with centurylink.)
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Fortunately, in my experience they don't go bad very often. I have a Q1000a I bought when I started service with CL a few years ago, and it shows no signs of slowing down or dying.

Many people say that a C1000a will probably experience an early death, but if you have one and are using it and it has been fine, it'll likely stay working.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

My parents had zyxel 660r for years and years and years (some people had them when they were sprint branded and are still using them.) Those went from sprint>embarq>centurylink

Good little modems but didn't offer much feature wise, only adsl and anything over 6mbps caused issues (they didn't like the 10mbps teir)
chzuck
join:2014-10-07
Elizabethtown, PA

chzuck

I bought a modem on ebay and had some problems with setup and called CenturyLink and they would not help since it is not their modem anymore. I bought one like I have of theirs - Zyxel 660R.
rtbtr
join:2014-09-11

rtbtr to planetkaren

to planetkaren
Just check the CL modem compatibility list for your area, and then run to eBay. I just bought a Motorola 3347 which came brand new with all the cables & power supply for less than $20. Unless you're after the latest and greatest, eBay is a great option.

Techy1278
@72.181.232.x

Techy1278 to planetkaren

Anon

to planetkaren
I work for Clink Tech support, I don't recommend buying off ebay simple fact don't know the condition of the modem it could be fine or it could have a fault in it and cause you all sorts of headaches, the C1000A is a better modem than the q1000 model, the q1000 model is a good one but older and been discontinued for sometime now. the C1000a is the most reliable modem Clink has. it also has gigabit ethernet ports as well

Bestbuy SKU: 5570198 and walmart carry the actiontec c1000a self install kits $99 online.

but whether you buy it off ebay or at store if it's a clink modem then it is supported by us Tech support shouldn't refuse support just where it comes from only thing that matters is if it's our modem and a supported model when a customer calls in i don't care where he got it from I care about model and brand of modem to determine support. I never recomend 3rd party modems for many reasons, If you have a line problem Clink only will Troubleshoot on our lines ONLY, also customer is stuck programming modem themselves most times will go fairly well others a nightmare had customers spend up to 2 hours with modem's tech support and us trying to get it to work it's like a dog chasing it's tale. Any changes in wifi or other settings' the customer is on their own, Only should be done by a tech savvy customer. Problem is majority of customers who buy a 3rd party modem barely know anything about computer equipment and quickly get in over their head trying to setup service. Also most 3rd party modem vendors only give you 3 months of free tech support after that you must pay a fee for each call. Our modems come with a lifetime of support whether it's leased or purchased.

Hope this helps