fartness (banned)

Moving washer and blue painter's tape

Click for full size
part of the basement
Click for full size
washing machine
Click for full size
blue tape question
My basement project is almost done. 4.5 years later, better late than never I guess. ~650 sq ft basement took way longer than I thought it would. Anwyay, one pic just to post a pic because I can. I did forget to turn the lights off... fun waiting 3 hours for the paint to dry a little

The other two pictures:
1. I need to move my new washing machine to where the paint dried so I can paint under it and behind it. It's too heavy to move. Will a small dolly work or do I need a big one? I can borrow a dolly from a convenience store that can carry maybe 5 35 packs of 500mL water bottles. Might seem too small though. Do I need to unhook the water lines? I remember when I bought the washer, I was told something about locking the drum so it doesn't get damaged when moved, unless they meant if I'm moving to a new house, not two feet away?

2. Second picture isn't from my basement but I used blue painter's tape in the basement also. What is the trick to getting this stuff off? Waiting a few hours? I waited a few days and the paint is fused to the tape and I can't remove the little pieces of tape. There are three pieces in that picture from left to right (right piece is biggest and middle piece is the most wedged in piece).

3. How do I get that paint off the brick?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

You probably should use an appliance dolly (one that you can strap what you're moving to) to move the washer. It will certainly be a lot simpler to disconnect the water hoses and you won't risk damaging them by doing that. Locking the drum isn't required for a small move like this.

You definitely want to remove painters tape quite soon after finishing painting. The longer you leave it on the harder it is to remove, several days is definitely too long. Actually in most cases you are better off free handing your cut ins instead of using tape.

Getting the paint off the bricks is going to be very difficult, this is because bricks are porous and the paint goes into the pores.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Is the washer something two people could move, or does it need a bit of a lift (from a dolly)?
fartness

fartness (banned) to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Actually in most cases you are better off free handing your cut ins instead of using tape.

I make too much of a mess.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

2 edits

Sly to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Can't you just unhook the lines and walk it across the floor? If you are worried about jarring the washer, then go to Lowe's and get some furniture sliders: »www.lowes.com/Storage-Or ··· =1z0ylxk

Normally you want to remove painter's tape immediately after you paint while it's still wet. Once the paint dries, you will peel it away from the wall when you try to remove the tape and as you see, the tape usually tears.

Here's a link on removing painter's tape: »www.doityourself.com/str ··· 7k1ad4dU
Good luck.

[edit] broken link
edale
join:2012-01-21
Seattle, WA

edale to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

Will a small dolly work or do I need a big one?

Hard to advise without seeing the dolly. You could try it. It will work much better if you strap the washing machine to the dolly handle.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall to fartness

MVM

to fartness
said by fartness:

I need to move my new washing machine to where the paint dried so I can paint under it and behind it. It's too heavy to move

How heavy is it ? Renting a dolly to move it 3' seems ridiculous to me.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Try these. Works on my stacked front loaders with ease. Another trick was to spray the area with Windex for some friction release.

»www.lowes.com/pd_212718- ··· cetInfo=

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to fartness

MVM

to fartness
It shouldn't be that hard to slide the washer out of the way. Put a little ass behind it.

The tape does that for a few reasons. Most often, it's because it's cheap tape. Second, tape that's left on too long. Third' because it's still wet (paint).

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to Msradell

MVM

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Getting the paint off the bricks is going to be very difficult

Be easier to get some paint that's close to the brick's color and just paint them !

As for using those 'pads' for sliding it is getting them under the washer's feet. With just one person, it will be FUN lifting/tipping it and getting them in the right spot. Two people would be a lot easier but once you have a 2nd person there, just move it manually !

The paint on the floor is likely to get scraped off too

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Just make sure you get the sliders that have cloth on the floor side, the ones with plastic on the bottom are for carpet.

Sly
Premium Member
Tennessee

Sly to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
[edit] nm (sorry wrong post)
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
and add a pedestal underneath the washer while you're at it - your back will thank you later.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

1 recommendation

chamberc to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
You can easily slide the washer by yourself. My wife can.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
See pictures. I had those felt pads around the house. Made it easy to slide the washer. Can I leave those on when I use the washer or will it cause it to walk?

I'm going on vacation tomorrow for two weeks. Can I leave the washer there how it is? There's slack in the hoses which are brand new. I just don't know if they can be like that since normally they're behind the washer just hanging.

I have enough paint for a second coat even though it doesn't really need it. It's Drylok 1 part epoxy. Will make it easier to get to the hard area when I get back to do the second coat.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Hoses should be fine like that. Turn off the valves just in case if you haven't already. I think the felt pads will probably have to come off but it won't hurt to leave them on and see how it operates with them.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Move your washer with these
»www.homedepot.com/p/Fore ··· 02300612
or these
»www.homedepot.com/p/Shou ··· 04726780

Watch your back.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to robbin

to robbin
When I get back home I will run a load and see how it behaves with them on it. I originally bought those to put on furniture, such as couches and chairs, so my floor doesn't get scratched up.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6

Premium Member

Take some of the tension off of the hoses...push the washer back a bit.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Use a razor blade to cut a line between the tape and what you painted. Then it's just a matter of working it off any way you can. I'm old school, 5n1 man, always have one on me. LOL, use the sliders and put the washer on spin, it will probably walk itself out of there.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

I can borrow a dolly from a convenience store that can carry maybe 5 35 packs of 500mL water bottles.

FYI, for future reference: 5 x 35 x 500mL = 87.5L = 192.5 lbs (plus bottle & packaging weight)

So if your load is ~ 200 lbs or less, you can use that cart

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Only if that is a "special" dolly, only designed to hold the capacity of (5) water-bottle 'cases'
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Since I just painted the walls and just painted the floor, how do I make it so floor paint doesn't get on the wall and vice versa? I want a smooth, even line. Taping the perimeter seems like it will take too long.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

That's probably easiest. If you don't mind spending a little money I think putting a grey vinyl or rubber cove base on the walls would make it look really nice. It will also help with keeping it clean as the white wall won't go all the way to the floor. Those last few inches will get scuffed up not to mention the base will clean much better than the wall surface. It will also give a finished look as trim has a habit of doing.

»www.homedepot.com/b/Floo ··· odSUkA3w

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3 to fartness

Anon

to fartness
When I am painting against another painted surface I use a piece of cardboard cut with an extremely straight edge and then use that to protect the surface opposite the one I am painting. For instance if I was painting the wall and didn't want paint on the ceiling, I would place the cardboard nearly parallel to the ceiling and right up jammed in the corner. Then I would cut in on the wall and move the cardboard along as I cut across the top.

Process would be similar to protect a floor. Your results will vary, you have to be a bit careful doing this.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to robbin

to robbin
Not a bad idea. How do those stick to the cement block wall?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Adhesive

»www.homedepot.com/p/Robe ··· 00203262

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Pick up one of these, too. Makes the job easier and the installation better:

»t.homedepot.com/p/Robert ··· 0080708/

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to fartness

to fartness
I have been using this for many years to paint where two walls with different color meet or between top of the wall and ceiling. Works also where floor and wall meet. Works nicely altough tricky to get into corners where three surfaces meet. Cheap and effective.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Shur ··· 00070177
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I use a blue point creeper for things like moving washers, dryers and freezers around. I just flip the appliance up some and slide the creeper under it.