MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn

Re: [Plumbing] Replaced the old Everclog, permablocked toilet with a new Toto

said by StillLearn:

At $57 per 1000 gallons, that is expensive water.

Yep. Everything's expensive here.

Power... $0.35/kWh
Regular Gasoline.... $1.38/L

And that's not anywhere near the end of it.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Ouch! Are you near the oil fields, or just far out in the boonies? That sounds like Alaska prices.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to KrK

to KrK
I'm surprised no one posted this

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· YRDzpTL4

BAH WHOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHH

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

Subaru to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
Nice another happy Toto Drake user!

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to KrK

to KrK
At least you didn't have the problem we just had.

We moved here 2 years ago in late August and when it got cold out, we would smell a sewer odor in the downstairs (basement, it's a split-level) bathroom/laundry room. We narrowed it down to a place where the smell seemed to be coming out of a small hole in the drywall where it met the floor. Never had a chance, though, to fix it, as just about the time we would want to do something it would go away.

It got cool recently, and it re-appeared, so we decided to investigate. We cut away the drywall on the other side of the wall, where the pipes were, expecting to find an exposed vent or something of the like. We didn't find anything, except that we did put some sealant around the vent pipe joints.

Then we focused on the bathroom. We decided maybe the toilet needed a new wax seal, so we took the toilet off to find ...... that the sewer pipe/toilet mount was never extended up over the 1.5" insulated floor of the basement, and to compensate, they just used 3 wax rings on top of each other.

Well, you can guess what happened...they deteriorated and water had slowly seeped out. Underneath the vinyl linoleum on the subfloor, soaked the subfloor, which was moldy, stained, and rotten.

We've since determined that was in fact the source of the smell, ripped out the damaged subfloor, and laid real tile down in its place. This was the toilet mount is flush with the floor, like it should be!

What do people think sometimes when they make repairs! Did they really think that would last??
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

That sounds like Alaska prices.

Close. Yellowknife, NT.

Scary thing is that's actually cheap compared to most other NT communities. Some places are close to $1.00/kWh and who knows how much the water costs!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
The people who sold me my house did several "cover up/repairs/super cheap" IE not repairs, just to cover up issues temporarily just to sell the house. It doesn't surprise me. Said thing is the issue you had could have been easily and cheaply fixed.... before it did damage.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Fortunately it was the basement and contained to one area, so it wasn't too bad. We were going to redo the floor eventually, anyway, so better sooner than later I guess. We got a good deal on some clearance tile at Lowe's so I guess it was a good thing.