The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Re: GTX 980 Final Specs Released...

970 is the winner at $330, insane value. AMD will have to undercut them in price.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

You see the benchmarks?

Nothing yet, I'm doing team red for now, but the minute I can run 4k@60Hz with a single card, whoever can do it, is getting my money.

EQ

4K, 60fps high-ultra settings on a single card aint happening for a long time.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
what are the specs for the 970? my 2nd 7950 just died and i'm looking to upgrade but I don't think my wife would go for the "i need the $600 card" excuse

phyiu
@46.165.223.x

phyiu to El Quintron

Anon

to El Quintron

Sorry to crash your celebration but...

TDP of 165W is not indicative of power consumption of GM204. It's the theoretical amount of heat a chip generates or dissipates under load.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

4K, 60fps high-ultra settings on a single card aint happening for a long time.

This is just straight up wild speculation, but give it two or three years before it can happen at all and maybe 3 or 4 years before it can be done afford-ably.

It's probably going to be doable on your next build.
El Quintron

El Quintron to phyiu

Premium Member

to phyiu

Re: Sorry to crash your celebration but...

said by phyiu :

TDP of 165W is not indicative of power consumption of GM204. It's the theoretical amount of heat a chip generates or dissipates under load.

I don't doubt the accuracy of your statement,however, TDP in most cases is directly related to power usage; as witnessed with power usage measured here:

»www.guru3d.com/articles_ ··· w,7.html
said by guru3d.com :
Power Consumption

Let's have a look at how much power draw we measure with this graphics card installed. The methodology: We have a device constantly monitoring the power draw from the PC. We simply stress the GPU, not the processor. The before and after wattage will tell us roughly how much power a graphics card is consuming under load. Our test system is based on a power hungry six-core Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E based setup on the X79 chipset platform. This setup is overclocked to 4.60 GHz on all cores. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption GTX 970

System in IDLE = 120 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 274 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 154 Watts
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 164 Watts

Measured power consumption GTX 980

System in IDLE = 119 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 280 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 161 Watts
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 171 Watts

Mind you, the system wattage is measured at the wall socket side and there are other variables like PSU power efficiency. So this is an estimated value, albeit a very good one.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

»www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/ ··· sions/2/

For those of you that care.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

We care a lot.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

»www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/ ··· sions/2/

Looks like a solid incremental step forward. Glad to see them beating the 290X/295X with all the requisite Nvidia finesse and refinement. The ball is in AMD's court to cut prices now.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

The ball is in AMD's court to cut prices now.

Or to outperform them, either situation would be ideal.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

With the 300 series still to debut its possible, look what happened with the 200 series? Though I hope amd does keep up their bigger memory bus, nvidia going back to the 256 is really disheartening.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by me1212:

nvidia going back to the 256 is really disheartening.

I wonder if their being so conservative on the Memory Bus and the VRAM has anything to do with their generally good temps and low electricity usage.

EQ
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

I thought they had 4GB of vram standard? I dunno if I'd call that conservative since only two others have launched with exactly 4GB standard.

It may have something to do with that, but also could be cost cutting measure. Ether way that'll probably hold them back at higher res. Could be giving amd a step up if amd still has at least a 512 bit memory bus.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by me1212:

I thought they had 4GB of vram standard?

This is the first series to have 4GB standard, the previous ones had 2GB and 3GB respectively. You could have bought a really expensive 770 that came with 4GB, but aside from the Titan that's the only one I'm aware of that had lots of RAM.

EQ

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

With the 300 series still to debut its possible, look what happened with the 200 series? Though I hope amd does keep up their bigger memory bus, nvidia going back to the 256 is really disheartening.

Have you even looked at any of the benchmarks in the last day or so?

The "small" 256bit memory bus that was supposed to under perform has now been put to rest with Maxwell. The way this new architecture works, it's producing better frame rates (in most games) at 4K resolution even up against the 780ti and 290x

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

The "small" 256bit memory bus that was supposed to under perform has now been put to rest with Maxwell.

I'm curious why they chose this as well, but until I hear information to the contrary I'd say it's one of the reasons their temps and power usage are down.

I'm going to put forward that they might have had better performance on Maxwell with a wider bus, but that the temps and power draw simply weren't acceptable during the testing phase.

This horse is going to get beaten pretty hard during most of Maxwell's life, so the official answer may come out once it's no longer a corporate secret.

EQ

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

The "small" 256bit memory bus that was supposed to under perform has now been put to rest with Maxwell.

I'm curious why they chose this as well, but until I hear information to the contrary I'd say it's one of the reasons their temps and power usage are down.

I'm going to put forward that they might have had better performance on Maxwell with a wider bus, but that the temps and power draw simply weren't acceptable during the testing phase.

This horse is going to get beaten pretty hard during most of Maxwell's life, so the official answer may come out once it's no longer a corporate secret.

EQ

It's something to do with the color compression technology and the L2 cache on these cards, plus the higher ROPs. The 256 bit bus might be cheaper to produce too, thus, giving us these cheap prices compared to performance.

The 780ti launched at $700 and is still $600-700. This 980, trading blows with it and even mopping the floor with it on certain games, on a reference cooler no less, is only $549.

I think I paid close to $600 for my first 780. Just amazing that we're getting better and better performance for relatively cheaper prices.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

The 256 bit bus might be cheaper to produce too, thus, giving us these cheap prices compared to performance.

I actually didn't think of that, but I think you hit the nail on the head there.

These card are obscenely powerful and offer an amazing performance per dollar value.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
I have, but still it very likely would have done even better with a larger memory bus like the 780 and 290 have. The 980 and 970 are amazing cards there is no doubt of that but they are being held back(even if only just) by a smaller memory bus.
me1212

me1212 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

The 256 bit bus might be cheaper to produce too, thus, giving us these cheap prices compared to performance

I'm certain thats at least part of it, question is will they put something out with a larger bus or not to show us what effect it has, Maybe the 1000 series?
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

graniterock to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

This card is so powerful they have used it to prove the moon landing actually happened. Real time simulation coming to you soon!

»www.engadget.com/2014/09 ··· landing/
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
My 970 left LAX this morning... COME FASTER!!!

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

For those of you going SLI: »www.geforce.com/hardware ··· /bridges

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

I'm going to wait for maybe the EVGA Classified version to release, or maybe if there will be a 980ti.

I really don't need to upgrade at all, but damn...these cards are nice spec wise.
Expand your moderator at work

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Installed a eVGA 980SC last night, upgrading from a 570SC and it was worth every penny.

It's virtually silent, even at 70% TDP. Room is also probably 5F cooler lol...

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by hsindogg:

Installed a eVGA 980SC last night, upgrading from a 570SC and it was worth every penny.

It's virtually silent, even at 70% TDP. Room is also probably 5F cooler lol...

That's a pretty significant upgrade. You get the Reference or ACX cooler?

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

You get the Reference or ACX cooler?

Reference, I don't think the ACX will be out for a couple more weeks...I couldn't wait. =]
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Here's some benchmarks Extremetech ran on an air cooled overclocked Zotac 970. Very close to the 980.

»www.extremetech.com/comp ··· he-price